Shaving

Romeo

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Growing a beard for November. It grows quick enough as I would have to shave daily. Starting to get over itchy phase and looking good. Bit multi coloured mind. Mostly black and brown but some ginger and blonde. Weird cause I got dark hair and eyebrows

Is Movember still a thing? Hardly know anyone doing that this year.

Is Movember still a thing? Hardly know anyone doing that this year.

Doubt it. I was actually looking forward to it simply for a bit of variety so that my FB feed wasn't fully awash with toddler and baby pictures.

As for a bit of relevance, my electric shaver decided to die a few months back. I only ever used it on the bit between the chin and lips (that seemingly has no name?) but in its absence I have discovered that switching to an older blunt razor head does the job for that 1x1cm spot that I always used to somehow slice. Previously the healed bump would get progressively bigger and bigger, hence easier to cut in a viscious circle that would result in a morning long gusher. Those storage bits underneath the Gillette razor stands are particularly fine for ordering old ones from sharpest to bluntest btw (leaving one spare for the sharp one as you momentarily switch the blunt one of course).

8 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Doubt it. I was actually looking forward to it simply for a bit of variety so that my FB feed wasn't fully awash with toddler and baby pictures.

As for a bit of relevance, my electric shaver decided to die a few months back. I only ever used it on the bit between the chin and lips (that seemingly has no name?) but in its absence I have discovered that switching to an older blunt razor head does the job for that 1x1cm spot that I used to always slice, which would be made worse and worse by the resultant and ever growing scab/bump that would cut with ease and bleed all morning.

The hair that grows there is called the Mugabe Australis.

As far as I know.

If I could grow a beard I'd have one. As it stands I'm approaching a quarter of a century on this earth and you could count the amount of hairs that grow on my face. So long as I hadn't shaved in about four days. If I have to interact with people I'll go no more than two days between shaving it purely because I'm self-conscious about how shit it is. Yet right after shaving (which I can't do properly as it happens, I always miss a bit) my upper lip looks awful. Like it's the only part of my face where any hair grows yet it'll look like that for a week anyway before you notice any actual growth.

None of the feeling of needing to shave because of how shit my facial hair looks really goes well with how shit my face looks either, so that's great.

Although I've never actually done it, I'm quite confident I could reach the beard threshold if I didn't shave for a week. It seems to grow at a ridiculous rate and I have a face of soft hair if I don't shave for three days (as opposed to sandpaper stubble), although it makes me look like a hobo imo.

31 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

For anybody in and around Dundee, I'd recommend a visit to this place - https://www.thegentlemansgroomroom.com

Huge selection of razors, brushes, creams etc. My wife loves the old-fashioned aftershave I get from there.

I see they do Czech and Speake 88 - which I used to love but haven't had for 20 years.  They also do Geo Trumpers and I have one of their 'sample sets' in use right now.  I hate most modern aftershaves are they are too light/vanilla/aromatic for my auld face.

I see they do Czech and Speake 88 - which I used to love but haven't had for 20 years.  They also do Geo Trumpers and I have one of their 'sample sets' in use right now.  I hate most modern aftershaves are they are too light/vanilla/aromatic for my auld face.

I've got some Trumpers Astor and the James Bond aftershave Eucris on the go, and I've got to agree that they are great old smells, which the older ladies seem to really appreciate, which is no bad thing.

4 minutes ago, bob the tank said:

I've got some Trumpers Astor and the James Bond aftershave Eucris on the go, and I've got to agree that they are great old smells, which the older ladies seem to really appreciate, which is no bad thing.

Imagine being an old fashioned travelling salesman walking down O'Connell Street and asking 'have you smelled Erasmic?'

th?&id=OIP.M617b9e785010d679d9f6356e131e7191o0&w=299&h=174&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

7 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Imagine being an old fashioned travelling salesman walking down O'Connell Street and asking 'have you smelled Erasmic?'

"Of course, but how did you know my name is Mick?"

I'm doing quite the line in shite punchlines tonight. Again.

Used to wet shave every day, would shave at night to save time in the morning. Never liked an electric shaver, too itchy and didn't seem to do a good job.

Since moving, I only shave on a Saturday but enjoy spending time getting a very clean, neat shave.

If I could grow a beard I'd have one. As it stands I'm approaching a quarter of a century on this earth and you could count the amount of hairs that grow on my face.

My mate's the exact same. He likes to highlight the fact I took him 25 years to get pubes, only for every fucker to start shaving them off!

Tried shaving my manly 4 week growth the other day and was vetoed by the very insistent wee man.

Also, 'wet shave' is too reminiscent of wet fart - it's just 'shave' imo :angry:

How would you distinguish between shaving with a razor blade and an electric razor then?

Merkur de razors are brilliant. Pair it up with the right blade and its a great shave. I'm using Personna blades right now and have been for the past couple of years. Some Proraso pre-shave cream, a decent soap or cream lathered with a badger brush and some Trumpers Skin Food to finish.

Far better than any barber hot towel shave. Unless you're paying top money for a traditional barber shave by a high class barber then it isnt worth it. Your local high st Turk or bandwagon-jumping Brit undoubtedly disappoints.

I shave every 2nd night with a razor.  My facial hair grows white under my neck and on a part of my cheek so I look like I have some form of leprosy If i don't shave every 48 hours.  It still grows but it's pure white hair.  when I'm about to shave I look like that Matt Bellamy from Muse with the goatee stubble thing he has.  Looks horrific.

Clean shaven and for the first 36 hours afterwards I'm my usual solid 9 out of 10 looks wise.

Archived