Better Options at Centre Back?

Surely it’s time to look at other options at centre back - but is there anything better out there?

Other than Hanley, Berra and Martin who else is out there? All three have proven to be positionally unaware,capable of mistakes and lacking under pressure. Surely we should be looking to the future/other options if we want to qualify for a major championships. People go on about Hanley being young but he’s shown zero improvement in the last 3 or 4 years and can’t get a start for a championship team.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be looking at playing players who'll be regulars in the next qualifying campaign. So get the over 30s to f**k. That leaves Hanley and Kingsley. After that you've got the likes of Souttar. Be aswell seeing how they react and cope.

Hanley has proved time and time again he's just not good enough.  The idea that we should be picking him because he's young is just madness. 

Hanley should not be playing.  Simple as that.  We don't improve until that happens because our defence is absolutely laughable.

This is the common statement from everyone and highlights the dire issue we have! We have NO option but to play Hanley/Martin/Berra. How is that even possible. And not one single up and coming CH to be seen in sight. 

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Should be looking at playing players who'll be regulars in the next qualifying campaign. So get the over 30s to f**k. That leaves Hanley and Kingsley. After that you've got the likes of Souttar. Be aswell seeing how they react and cope.

But but but that will make us worse, the other guys clearly aren't better or they'd play and throwing them in will just make things worse

thought id give you the generic reply you'll likely get from certain camps, even though i agree 

5 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

But but but that will make us worse, the other guys clearly aren't better or they'd play and throwing them in will just make things worse

thought id give you the generic reply you'll likely get from certain camps, even though i agree 

TBF I usually say that, but we're now at the point where the next tournament we can qualify for is in 2020, four years away. Players touching 30 shouldn't be in with a shout for that as they'll be 34/35 by the time that comes around. We'll be into this stupid fucking Nations League route of qualifying by then aswell.

25 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

There is a middle ground though, those who are playing just now aren't good enough for us to qualify, but that doesn't just mean you completely ignore the fact that the vast majority of alternatives are worse players and will do worse. I have no issue with younger guys being given a chance provided they have shown signs that they will some day maybe be good enough for us to qualify. However suggestions like Mark Reynolds (who couldn't get a game years ago when he was playing better than now), Considine, Taylor, Boyd, Anderson etc are ridiculous. In fairness I'm not sure Craig McCulloch Burley was actually suggesting them.. at least I hope he wasn't..

Archived