Next Scotland manager.

Caley Shaun

At this point I don't give a f**k if we get in a competent manager. I've almost forgotten what qualifying for tournaments is like so whatever. But could we get someone who at least attempts to make it less of a chore to watch these diddies? Personally I'd go for Zdenek Zeman, despite the fact he's nearly 70 & smokes like a chimney so will probably be dead soon. His Foggia team in the mid-90s were one of the most fun sides I've ever seen,ditto his Pescara team 6 years ago. We're going to fail to qualify so f**k it, just let it be fun to watch. And he gave debuts to Totti & Nesta too so he's not afraid to use youth.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Do you always lose your shit and tell folk to f**k off when they counter arguments you've made? Some teacher you must be.

This post makes absolutely no sense. The "far more capable" argument just typifies your "we're shite and there's no point trying to better ourselves argument". Whether they were expected to win or not is neither here nor there, not being expected to win doesn't mean you make no effort to try get something from a game.

Exactly this. At 3-0 I don't expect us to get back into the game but I expect the slightest bit of effort after spending hundreds of pounds travelling. Don't want to sit hearing Ole's from the England support while we make no effort to get the ball. 

Exactly this. At 3-0 I don't expect us to get back into the game but I expect the slightest bit of effort after spending hundreds of pounds travelling. Don't want to sit hearing Ole's from the England support while we make no effort to get the ball. 

Would you want someone to get halved? Red card but it would cheer us up approach?

I would've preferred that but the sensible part of my brain says that doesn't actually help at all.

I thought we tried to make sure they didn't score 5 or 6. Not in any way good but England are definitely good enough to keep the ball in those circumstances so we didn't have much choice.

10 hours ago, pandarilla said:

It's a stupid comparison to make and sometimes stupidity exasperates me. Maybe I use up all my patience in school.

England kept the ball from 3 up against Scotland on Friday. Last night England barely touched it when they were 2 up.

There's plenty to criticise the manager and team about for Friday. Not getting back into the game when 3 down at Wembley is really not one. Even at our strongest, Scotland teams would struggle to get the game back. And as we can all agree, this team isn't a patch on our teams of the past.

Ah so all the counter arguments are just stupid, are they? 99% of this forum disagrees with your view on the matter, maybe that tells you something about what the stupid view really is.

I have no idea what relevance your second paragraph is.

No one expected us to somehow salvage a point after being 3-0 down but the apathy from both the players and the manager was telling. They gave up even trying to create anything or win the ball back, our past teams being better than the one we have available just now doesn't excuse just giving up.

Ah so all the counter arguments are just stupid, are they? 99% of this forum disagrees with your view on the matter, maybe that tells you something about what the stupid view really is.

I have no idea what relevance your second paragraph is.

No one expected us to somehow salvage a point after being 3-0 down but the apathy from both the players and the manager was telling. They gave up even trying to create anything or win the ball back, our past teams being better than the one we have available just now doesn't excuse just giving up.

I don't at all think that people who disagree with me are stupid. Not in any way. But some of the shit thrown about some of these threads is just daft.

Comparing the approach of Spain when two down at Wembley with that of Scotland when three down is just a stupid comparison.

I thought the team tightened up and made sure they didn't concede easy chances when three down. I'd have loved someone to go through an English player but that really doesn't achieve much. It's just a bit petty.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Would you want someone to get halved? Red card but it would cheer us up approach?

I would've preferred that but the sensible part of my brain says that doesn't actually help at all.

I thought we tried to make sure they didn't score 5 or 6. Not in any way good but England are definitely good enough to keep the ball in those circumstances so we didn't have much choice.

In what world is getting the ball back equivalent to "halving someone" England also aren't remotely good enough to play keep ball against a side pressing them for it back for twenty odd minutes. 

In what world is getting the ball back equivalent to "halving someone" England also aren't remotely good enough to play keep ball against a side pressing them for it back for twenty odd minutes. 

Halving someone is completely different, I didn't say otherwise. That was a question I was asking. Lots of people wanted that to happen (including me).

In terms of a high pressing game? I don't know, I reckon at 3 down the intensity is probably difficult to find. It's also a very risky strategy as that would leave big holes at the back and England were absolutely full of confidence by that stage.

I just think it's entirely focusing on the wrong thing. There are two big, big problems.

We struggle to defend properly. Basic errors being made.

And we struggle to score, despite making pretty good chances. I'm not sure this second one can be impacted too much by a manager. The chances are being created but it's just not happening on front of goal.

The first one can, and for me this is therefore the biggest and most immediate problem.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, LondonSons said:

Looks like Michael O'Neill to Norwich City. When Strachan inevitably goes I expect the SFA will actually manage to downgrade by appointing Moyes. 

Moyes the 'Energy Vampire'. Sounds like fun.

Archived