Next Scotland manager.

Caley Shaun

20 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I keep hearing this. What exactly is going on with McLeish? 

He's seriously been looking ill when doing pundit duty lately, and doesn't seem able to focus on what he's saying. Lot of folk on here are assuming he's hitting the bottle too hard these days, but it certainly looks like something's up.

How did Bruce Arena end up being a serious suggestion? I can't see him being any worse than our home-grown options, but he's a bit of an odd choice for people to champion. Did he show interest at some point?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Buzz Aldrin

What do you reckon to former world #1 tennis player Lindsay Davenport? She's the tallest women ever to win a Grand Slam singles title.

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I keep hearing this. What exactly is going on with McLeish? 

I can't remember what game it was but a month or so back he was in the pundit studio. He seemed to be mincing his words and forgetting stuff a fair bit. I'm not sure if there's any more of examples of it so hopefully it was just a bad day. He talks a good enough game in this article from June anyway:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alex-mcleish-tells-egypt-nightmare-8090921.amp&ved=0ahUKEwif94qq1KjQAhWHOSwKHfs8CHcQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNFwJf2zv0sSv3KqW7lE-ed5tSEW6Q&sig2=e_A-b4PpYS3nBfVgeOVgLw

I'm not advocating getting him, as I think we need to go foreign, but his track record in the job suggests he'd do better than Strachan is.

It'd be absolutely humiliating to go back to Alex McLeish, after he used the Scotland job to get himself into the first mediocre English club job that came along. At least you could say that Walter Smith went back to his first love.

33 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I can't remember what game it was but a month or so back he was in the pundit studio. He seemed to be mincing his words and forgetting stuff a fair bit. I'm not sure if there's any more of examples of it so hopefully it was just a bad day. He talks a good enough game in this article from June anyway:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alex-mcleish-tells-egypt-nightmare-8090921.amp&ved=0ahUKEwif94qq1KjQAhWHOSwKHfs8CHcQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNFwJf2zv0sSv3KqW7lE-ed5tSEW6Q&sig2=e_A-b4PpYS3nBfVgeOVgLw

I'm not advocating getting him, as I think we need to go foreign, but his track record in the job suggests he'd do better than Strachan is.

He talks the same pish he always has in that article, but at least he's coherent. He doesn't seem to appreciate that he isn't going to get another job in England, no matter how much he brownnoses his pals. I agree with BigFatTabbyDave; he did a good job but we can't go begging here, McLeish has behaved like an arse for a while now.

4 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

He's seriously been looking ill when doing pundit duty lately, and doesn't seem able to focus on what he's saying. Lot of folk on here are assuming he's hitting the bottle too hard these days, but it certainly looks like something's up.

How did Bruce Arena end up being a serious suggestion? I can't see him being any worse than our home-grown options, but he's a bit of an odd choice for people to champion. Did he show interest at some point?

IMG_5191.PNG

God, almost a decade ago. I'd no idea Arena was that old, actually.

Interesting that he didn't manage to get a job with any other British teams, but he did get the LA Galaxy job six months later, so he was probably happy enough with their McGalacticos. I don't think we particularly missed out there; Lagerback is possibly more of a mistake.

Elsewhere, I can only assume the O'Neill's are on such short odds as bait - surely nobody expects that either of them would actually leave their own national sides to manage a neighbouring rival. They'd need to be desperate for cash.

39 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Elsewhere, I can only assume the O'Neill's are on such short odds as bait - surely nobody expects that either of them would actually leave their own national sides to manage a neighbouring rival. They'd need to be desperate for cash.

Hasn't MoN dingied his own National side to manage a neighbouring rival???

image.jpeg

Can't see Michael O'Neill leaving Windsor, when he's worked so hard to get his Northern Ireland squad in their current shape, and hasn't his namesake just taken the ROI to the top of their qualifying group? Not sure why either of them would want the Scotland job.

Archived