Next Scotland manager.

Caley Shaun

When the half wit goes and we hopefully get someone with some common sense let's go for something like this.

Marshall 

Bardsley
Martin 
Berra
Tierney

Anya 
Mcarthur
Brown 
Robertson 

Snodgrass

Burke 

Our weakness is from crosses so let's play wide midfielders that can offer far more support to stop this. We need to develop Burke so let's play him up front. We have no one else with his strength, pace and power so just go for it. Against poorer nations it could be Snodgrass over Anya with Griffiths up top too. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some international choices with a couple 'locals' chucked in:

Lars Lagerback - great pedigree and he's got lager in his name. Lager, Lager, Lager, Lager, Lager - change national anthem to Born Slippy instead of FOS dirge.

Louis Van Gaal - once quoted as saying "I cry almost every day.  There's always something that touches me".  Good practise for watching Grant Hanley.

Bert Van Marwijk - took Netherlands to WC final 2010 and who wouldn't enjoy players karate kicking folk in the chest.  Current Saudi Arabia boss but gets flack for not living there.  Come to Scotland Bert it's colder but closer. 

Erik Hamren - took Sweden to Euro 2012 and 2016.  Obviously missed WC 2014 but can't have it all!

Herve Renard - won African Nations cup with two different sides, 2012 and 2016.  Bit more sauve than Alex McLeish or Davie Moyes.

Carlos Quieroz - Fergie's pal from Man Utd days.  Current Iran boss.  Lack of a fatwa if fails with Scotland.

Tommy Wright or John Hughes.  Just because McLeish, Moyes, Davies, McCoist et al would make me cry like Louis Van Gaal.

I'd love to see us go for a foreign coach with a proven international track record. Someone like Michael O'Neil, Lars Lagerback or Bruce Arena. 

But this is the SFA we're dealing with. Our next manager will definitely be Scottish - Berti Vogts proved that every Johnny Foreigner manager is useless because he done such a poor job 15 years or so ago.

It will be a short-sighted, uninspiring, and cheap appointment. Our prospects of progressing as a nation or even just enhancing our chances of ever qualifying for another tournament will be dashed completely for another few decades at least.

The dreadful Tartan Army will continue to wallow in failure and they'll still pay ridiculous sums of money to watch dross in a half empty shithole of a national stadium. 

What a time to be alive.

Why do we assume the SFA will pick another Scottish manager if Strachan goes? We just have to look towards the SRU who appointed a foreign coach and have seen results and performances improve ever since. I know both sports are vastly different and there's not as many decent nations as there is in football but I believe a foreign coach is the way to go. Brings in a different philosophy and different ideas which needs implemented asap. I'd happily have a Scottish manager but there's no one appealing out there apart from Fergie who'd likely say no or do it for a couple of years.

5 minutes ago, Moo said:

Why do we assume the SFA will pick another Scottish manager if Strachan goes?

Because they haven't considered a foreigner since Berti, and show no signs of changing that policy.

I swear I saw someone mention Ally McCoist as a potential candidate further up the thread, presumably as a joke. Currently 33/1 along with proper football managers like Guus Hiddink and Laurent Blanc  :blink:

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Lagerback keeps getting mentioned but hasn't he retired? He's hardly likely to come out of retirement for such a prestigious job as the Scotland national team manager

Folk are just wishing for a time machine to go back to when he was actually interested and assassinate the SFA board.

Archived