Next Scotland manager.

Caley Shaun

Right, I think its time to start this as it is inevitable that tonight was GS last game, or I f***ing well hope it was!!

Oddschecker have Alex McLeish as favourite and the usual pish are getting touted: Derek McInnes, Alan Irvine, DAVID MOYES FFS, Steve Clarke, Paul Lambert (won't happen now), Joe Jordan, Michael O'Neill etc...

Lars Lagerback too but imho, he won't come out of retirement to manage the worst nation in world football, YES, I mean that, that is how crap we have become.

For me, IT HAS to be a foreigner with Scots assistants, preferably McAllister and Joe Jordan and my choice would be, either Marcelo Bielsa or Tata Martino (Ex Barca).

Thoughts and TRY to keep it realistic haha.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Caley Shaun said:

Right, I think its time to start this as it is inevitable that tonight was GS last game, or I f***ing well hope it was!!

Oddschecker have Alex McLeish as favourite and the usual pish are getting touted: Derek McInnes, Alan Irvine, DAVID MOYES FFS, Steve Clarke, Paul Lambert (won't happen now), Joe Jordan, Michael O'Neill etc...

Lars Lagerback too but imho, he won't come out of retirement to manage the worst nation in world football, YES, I mean that, that is how crap we have become.

For me, IT HAS to be a foreigner with Scots assistants, preferably McAllister and Joe Jordan and my choice would be, either Marcelo Bielsa or Tata Martino (Ex Barca).

Thoughts and TRY to keep it realistic haha.

Bit harsh that you expect the rest of us to be realistic when you're not willing to be.  :rolleyes:

Jim Duffy is the only Scot up to the job. But he's busy, so I think we need to look further afield.

I was a big critic of Vogts, he was a terrible choice and it ended in disaster.  That doesn't mean that we should stop looking outside though. Gordon "doing a great job" Strachan has come to typify the odd internal judgements on Scottish football. We defended horrifically last night, but somehow we got things spot on? We need fresh judgement - someone with an eye for the little things that determine outcomes rather than the "we played well but didn't take our chances" crap. 

I know he's now retired, but was Souness ever considered for the Scotland job?  Or has he ever wanted it?

He's built up a good career as a pundit. I can't imagine he'd risk that for this job as he wouldn't want to Neville it.

3 hours ago, SpoonTon said:
I was a big critic of Vogts, he was a terrible choice and it ended in disaster.

Vogts took us over when we had loads of older players coming to the end of their careers. He had a hell of a job on his hands, and managed to get us to a playoff. Something no manager has done since.

As for who the next manager should be, who knows. We should take our time though. There's no rush. We always seem to replace managers half way through a lost campaign, get a wee lift, then can't do it when it matters.

The defence is a real problem. Look at N. Ireland, they undoubtedly have a weaker squad (Magennis up front for f**k sake), but they have two decent centre halves playing together at club level. Wales too (admittedly their squad is much better than ours), have decent centre halves. Whoever the next boss is needs to address that.

Derek McInnes wouldn't be a bad shout, manages to get his Aberdeen side performing well every season, has won a trophy and has got AFC to another final and he also had some good Europa League results: 3-0 against Rijeka, 3-0 against Ventspils, 2-1 against FC Groningen and 1-1 against NK Maribor. Knows how to get the best out of a limited team a la SJFC and his Aberdeen side.

Archived