Rovers v Stranraer

Not much love for this one?

While last weeks game could hardly be classed as a must win, I get the feeling this one has a slightly more urgent air about it. The bottom of the league is tighter than it was a few weeks ago and 3 points should be the aim.

From memory games against Stranraer in recent seasons have been close affairs, usually won by a goal on either side.

Based on that I'll say 1-0 Rovers.

Quite an entertaining game this afternoon, hands over the eyes stuff towards the end though.

I felt after we went 1-0 up (Ross Stewart taking his goal very well) we should have put the game out of sight by half time, Stranraer were making mistakes and we were on top of things in midfield and looked good going forward. Mick Dunlop had a great Grant Hanley-esque style header sail over the bar. Didn't have a great view of Stranraer's equaliser from Gibson, heard someone say it took a freak bounce before it got to Stewart in the Rovers goal. As for the penalty it looked fairly clear-cut to me, Ryan Wallace stepping up to confidently put us back in the lead.

Second half was mostly poor from us, Stranraer controlled most of the play and I wasn't at all surprised when they equalised. Fair play to the boys for not letting the heads go down, a wicked deflection from Wallace's free kick giving us the 3 points (I wasn't sure it was a foul in the first place). A nervy few minutes at the end, where did all that extra time come from?

So all in all very pleased, Ross M Stewart pulled off a top class save to keep it at 2-1, Wallace and Boyd had good games, big Ross Stewart up front is looking better every week. And great to have Gary Fisher back in midfield, for me he was our key player and won the battle in the centre of the park. Still not convinced on what Willis is bringing to the team, was quite glad when he went off tbh

Correct it appeared a soft freekick even from where i was behind the opposite goals. I asked your goalie about first goal and he said he just didnt see it till late. Ball went straight in the middle of the net. He dived out of the way. He made up for it with some great stops.

Absolutely battled for the 3 points today and Fisher was my MoTM. What a difference from last week. Stranraer will feel hard done by as they really pushed at the end for the equaliser, also the free kick award for the winner was very soft

Sadly Rovers financial situation has almost gone back to square one which is pretty poor considering after the Rangers cup money all the debts were cleared and £188k was in the bank.

As much as 4 weeks ago a special shareholders meeting was called and shareholders were asked if they could give a interest free loan to see the club to the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Vodka Vic said:

Sadly Rovers financial situation has almost gone back to square one which is pretty poor considering after the Rangers cup money all the debts were cleared and £188k was in the bank.

As much as 4 weeks ago a special shareholders meeting was called and shareholders were asked if they could give a interest free loan to see the club to the end of the season.

This is quite a revelation. Are we to conclude that the club is overspending to maintain our League 1 status?

This is quite a revelation. Are we to conclude that the club is overspending to maintain our League 1 status?

You would think that was pointless. I doubt the money for staying in the division is so significantly better than Div 3 that it's worth plowing money you don't have into staying up.

26 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

I would say the club is overspending to keep it's current coaching and ground staff . If it doesn't have repercussions during the course of this season it certainly will at the end of the season.

Ironically the debt isn't as bad as previous so it isn't an impossible situation 

Archived