Paintings

Bold Rover

34 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

I just looked that up - it is indeed in the Kunsthistorisches, Vienna. I have been inn there - I remember the Breugels but not this Vermeer. Shame on me.

Must admit, I don't know a huge amount about art, but Vermeer's paintings are absolutely beautiful. Hard to believe they are the age they are. 17th Century FFS.

1 hour ago, Wren Road said:

The Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch

358b1d27b39b72af2e1a27bcbc952907.jpg

Dropped into the Prado in Madrid to see it, you really need to see it full size to get the detail. It's like an early episode of Star Trek where all the cast and technicians are on acid and directed by William Burroughs.

2 hours ago, Eednud said:

Bit gruesome but have always liked Judith Beheading Holofernes by Caravaggio. It's the look of intensity on her face. 

300px-Caravaggio_Judith_Beheading_Holofernes.jpg

Caravaggio is probably my favourite artist. The model is supposedly the prostitute that he killed a man (her pimp) over.

Good idea for a thread. 

Not been for a while, but I do like to have a wander round Kelvingrove now and again. I've never been particularly artistic myself but paintings fascinates me. I find it remarkable that someone like Lowry, more famous for his "busy" works, can also come up with something so simple like this Seascape, which tbh a picture doesn't do justice to.

GL_GM_3487.jpg

The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam has some amazing paintings. Some of them look like it took years to paint them with the amount of detail involved. Could take an entire holiday in there just looking in amazement at the skill that some people possessed.

2 hours ago, supermik said:

The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam has some amazing paintings. Some of them look like it took years to paint them with the amount of detail involved. Could take an entire holiday in there just looking in amazement at the skill that some people possessed.

image.jpg

6 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I quite like Norman Rockwell's paintings. As far as I'm aware they were done for magazines and don't hang in a museum anywhere...

I've been to his house - a wee museum, shop - in Massachusetts. Got some framed prints and books. This one is my favourite:

image.jpg