Airdrie v Brechin 12th Nov

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, waysider said:

Dodds in the Mail is saying that the hostile crowd affected the ref's judgement at the penalty. He also said that our crowds are always hostile.

I can't disagree with that but I thought our crowds are only hostile to our own players!

Is that Billy Dodds ?  I didn't realise he was at the game . 

11 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Reading through all this nonsense makes me laugh.  Why can people not be honest 

I thought Airdrie finished the stronger team but our weakened side played some good football mainly on the deck in the first half and up until the sending off. After that we had to try the more direct route , committing more players forward and leaving us a bit open to the break. The more the game went on though , Airdrie became more confident on the ball and got the ball moving a lot quicker than us . Our defence and keeper however stayed resilient and basically dealt with all Airdrie could throw at us. That said though we were well off the pace for much of the second half . 

As for us being a set of thugs ?  Now that is the laughable part. One really bad tackle (which was rightly dealt with) from a half fit McLean  and a coming together between Love and Fitzpatrick (where from our angle looked as if Fitzpatrick actually lashed out at Love then lay on top of him)  doesn't make us a dirty team , far from it.  I suppose Trouten being taken from behind and forcing him to limp off was ok ?  

Ryan and Russell haven't lost any of their theatrical moves either . 

I could criticise the ref for being inconsistent but that would appear to be sour grapes. I would say though, if the Airdrie penalty was as stonewall as some suggest, then our claim near the end was equally stonewall.  The ref was having none of it though and you can tell when they have doubts themselves by the speed they run away from the incident.  

Well done to Airdrie though for their win although it was a bit heartening that our defence again showed why they have conceded so few goals this season. Airdrie looked quite sharp moving forward but in all honesty , a penalty was the only way I could see us conceding.  It was a tough game but hopefully we can bounce back and steady the ship until the key players are fit again.  All said and done a bit disappointed but not downhearted.  We played ok in spells today but lacked something up front and couldn't take advantage of Boeteng with the ball at his feet.

On to next week.  

Yesterday was exactly the type of game I was fearing we'd have to play this season as I didn't think we were street wise enough to deal with a physical side. Very impressed by how fluid we were especially in the second half. Massive big up to Andy Ryan, I thought he was incredible yesterday with his tireless running the channels and unselfish play- he's been the one consistently good thing about our season and long may it continue.

22 minutes ago, kerrdavidson95 said:

I thought the ref had a very good game considering the way Brechin got in his face every time he made a decision. Compared to some of the whistlers we've had already this season he was great.

Coming from a fan who lauded Paul Lovering in recent years .  :lol:

If a neutral who attended the match may be allowed a tuppence-worth...

Firstly I have to state what an enjoyable match it was - two sides clearly prepared to go out and attempt to win the match and, despite the shots-on-target count, I felt there was little between the sides.

I have not seen any footage of the penalty incident, but it looked rather soft.  As much of a deliberate hand-ball as the incident which occurred at the other end late on.  The home lot got their decision, whilst the away lot did not.  Which is often, regretfully, how things go.

There looked no real malice in the sending off incident, just a player being reckless when attempting to atone for a dreadful touch.  Still - straight red was correct.

I really liked the chap Andy Ryan up front for Airdrieonians, who never gave the City defence a moments peace.  And I felt Iain Russell had fine match.  Some of the big lad Boateng's challenges could best be described as industrial - but I don't know that he gave away too may fouls.

A few pix from the match here (scroll down past the 1998 report)

http://ian38018.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/airdrieonians-shyberry-excelsior.html

12 minutes ago, Ian38018 said:

If a neutral who attended the match may be allowed a tuppence-worth...

Firstly I have to state what an enjoyable match it was - two sides clearly prepared to go out and attempt to win the match and, despite the shots-on-target count, I felt there was little between the sides.

I have not seen any footage of the penalty incident, but it looked rather soft.  As much of a deliberate hand-ball as the incident which occurred at the other end late on.  The home lot got their decision, whilst the away lot did not.  Which is often, regretfully, how things go.

There looked no real malice in the sending off incident, just a player being reckless when attempting to atone for a dreadful touch.  Still - straight red was correct.

I really liked the chap Andy Ryan up front for Airdrieonians, who never gave the City defence a moments peace.  And I felt Iain Russell had fine match.  Some of the big lad Boateng's challenges could best be described as industrial - but I don't know that he gave away too may fouls.

A few pix from the match here (scroll down past the 1998 report)

http://ian38018.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/airdrieonians-shyberry-excelsior.html

At last a bit of sanity without bias. 

17 hours ago, Overthehedge1 said:

Typical airdrie fan with the blinkers on, I didn't see the love incedent as I was at the toilet but heard he was lucky to stay on the park, I can't wait till the highlights come up, how you can ever call that a deliberate handball is beyond me, it wasn't even a shot, it came off your players head and hit our played in the hand from half a yard away, it was a good open game with no team really testing either keeper until we went down to 10 men, 0-0 would have been OK for us but getting beat away to the worst full time team in Scotland isn't A disaster when you look at there next 5 fixtures 

Got it wrong original hedge might talk s...e time to time granted but Love should have been sent of along with McLean.

3 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

Got it wrong original hedge might talk s...e time to time granted but Love should have been sent of along with McLean.

In your eyes maybe . Fitzpatrick definitely lashed out.   I always thought retaliation got a straight red . They must have changed that rule.  

As I said I don't think we are going to agree on this .   

1 hour ago, waysider said:

Dodds in the Mail is saying that the hostile crowd affected the ref's judgement at the penalty. He also said that our crowds are always hostile.

I can't disagree with that but I thought our crowds are only hostile to our own players!

No mention from Dodds then on his players surrounding the referree at every opportunity which was affecting the momentum of the game when we were on top.

23 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Good at influencing refs you mean ?    Aye you are right . 8)

I would much rather a captain or vice captain of each team approaches the referree, when they don't agree with decisions rather than half your team swarming the referee like a fly on s..e

Archived