The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

9 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Here's a little something for all you snoflakes offended by American patriotism. 

It has a chick in a bikini, so if your job has a problem with that don't click.

Almost half a century later those CCR Lyrics have still got something to say

Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the chief"
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, no

Some folks are born silver spoon in hand
Lord, don't they help themselves, oh
But when the taxman comes to the door
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son, no
It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, no

Some folks inherit star spangled eyes
Ooh, they send you down to war, Lord
And when you ask them, "How much should we give?"
Ooh, they only answer More! more! more! y'all

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no military son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, one

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

This is Trump's way of saying "Let's attack the complainers" instead of "Let's attack the complaint".

Are these players disrupting the national anthem? No.
Are they singing a different tune? No.
Are they waving somebody else's flag? No.

So in what way is it being disrespectful?

Come to think of it.  Why is waving the confederate flag not seen as unpatriotic?

Edited by Fullerene

This is Trump's way of saying "Let's attack the complainers" instead of "Let's attack the complaint".
Are these players disrupting the national anthem? No.
Are they singing a different tune? No.
Are they waving somebody else's flag? No.
So in what way is it being disrespectful?
Come to think of it.  Why is waving the confederate flag not seen as unpatriotic?

Because white.

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 17:46, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Right, cops aren't a race. You can oppose the police as a perfectly valid political position. In this specific case there was context. That context was that a black man had just set out to murder white cops. His intention specifically stated "white." Mr. Crowell posted a meme of a white cop being murdered within 24 hours of that happening. It's a stretch to say there was no racial context contained in that gesture. 

For the record, I don't think he should be fired. I don't have a problem with black people having negative racist feelings towards white people, or other groups.

Poor people are provided for here. It's arguable whether a more generous welfare state beyond the basics does more harm or good. It's not a black and white issue.

Very good.

7 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Ultimately if standing for the anthem is mandatory then it ceases to be an individual expression of anything. It becomes a mumbo jumbo ritual instead.

The parallels with P&B's annual poppy debate are clear, and f**k that gets tedious after a few iterations

I'm surprised that hasn't started yet, after all Remembrance Sunday is just round the corner.

1 hour ago, McQuade said:

No, apparently this only became a thing in 2009 when the US government started paying Sporting organisations Millions to stand during the anthem "paid patriotism "

A political move to support the military.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/nov/05/report-highlights-the-obscene-price-of-nfls-paid-patriotism

Here's the link to the source article. Bit timely.

McCain, Flake slam 'paid patriotism' at sporting events

52 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Isn't there a line in the American national anthem about being proud to chase and catch fleeing slaves or something similar?

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

7 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

Are the non-American NFL players expected to put their hand to their heart and belt out the American national anthem before games? Genuine question btw, I've never watched an American football game before.

There are almost no 100% born and raised foreign players in the NFL, other than Canadians. They are supposed to stand at respect, as the foreigners do in other leagues and as any respectful foreigner would do. Almost nobody sings along with the American anthem like they do in England. At the NFL game I attended in London the whole crowd sang along with God Save the Queen. My drunk German friend started to boo and I had to hit him because people were looking at us. You just hoot and holler when they get to the Land of the Free part. Not sure what you guys do in Scotland. 

5 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Because white.

If white people sat for the national anthem over politics they would be considered disrespectful. Not sure where you got the idea it wouldn't. One of these days you'll get it through your head that there's a difference between setting standards based on race, and setting standards and then refusing the alter them with races break the standards at different levels.

5 hours ago, McQuade said:

No, apparently this only became a thing in 2009 when the US government started paying Sporting organisations Millions to stand during the anthem "paid patriotism "

A political move to support the military.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/nov/05/report-highlights-the-obscene-price-of-nfls-paid-patriotism

It's part of the recruiting budget. Lots of young men watch sports, and lots of young men would think it's cool to be honored at a sporting event. Not sure what the big deal is. 

It is 100% incorrect that the US military paid the NFL to start having their players on the sidelines during the anthem, despite the meme going around. I'm not sure if they were out there as I can't remember and didn't attend many NFL games before that point. Baseball, basketball, hockey, and college football games have had the players out there for as long as I can remember though.