The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

7 hours ago, banana said:

Fascinating and slightly horrifying study.

Race-baiting ideologues determined to encumber black kids with victimhood and deterministic futures have a lot to answer for.

The bigger issue is the Hispanics and Asians buying into the narrative. Victimhood gives you social status in certain settings and potentially a leg up over other people. 

It's lovely when like minded people meet up on P+B and make friends, though I'd be worried for the relationship if either party was just pretending for trolling purposes.

7 hours ago, banana said:

Fascinating and slightly horrifying study.

Race-baiting ideologues determined to encumber black kids with victimhood and deterministic futures have a lot to answer for.

5 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

The bigger issue is the Hispanics and Asians buying into the narrative. Victimhood gives you social status in certain settings and potentially a leg up over other people. 

3 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/11/the-nationalists-delusion/546356/

The Nationalist's Delusion

Trump’s supporters backed a time-honored American political tradition, disavowing racism while promising to enact a broad agenda of discrimination

DPKwOdyX0AABS5i.jpg

DPKwO4bWAAAObv-.jpg

So, file this away under "no shit Sherlock?"

Fundamentally, the political interests of the white and black working classes as they see them could not be farther apart. They are incompatible. There's zero chance that the two groups will ever be able to work together. Just look at any jurisdiction in the country in which the black working class gets political control. The first group to disappear from that jurisdiction is the white working class. In my view what's good for the white working class is generally good for the black working class, but they don't see it that way. 

There are a couple of funny points in this article. It accuses predatory lenders of screwing over people of color and causing the housing collapse. No, the government used both carrots and sticks to get lenders to give housing loans to unqualified people of color, which then led to the collapse. Yes, a few very smart people knew what was coming and got out at the right time. Maybe some people did lobby the government to create this system so they could engage in a "get rich quick" scheme. But the root cause was boneheaded government policy thinking that home ownership turns the underclass into a middle class when it's actually a middle class lifestyle and culture that leads to home ownership.

The article makes the point that families with actual sick people or drug overdose victims weren't more likely to vote for Trump. This makes perfect sense. Those people have more immediate interests that need addressing than the system that got us here. People who are doing ok, but are surrounded by these issues are more likely to look at the systematic problems. Trump at least offered an alternative system, rather than just triage and a continuation of the same system like the Democrats.

Finally, there is a such thing as a "diversity tax." Stuff like having to drive an hour to work and paying 30% more for a house than the one that's located 5 minutes from your work because you need a school system where most of the kids speak English. This "tax" falls disproportionately on people in the middle and lower middle economically. Most of the benefits of immigration accrue to the immigrants themselves and then people at the top of society. People like this author never address this issue. They just write it off as bigotry, when there are real negative economic consequences to diversity for many people.

Edited by TheProgressiveLiberal

The Atlantic article again:

From a different vantage point, what Trump's supporters refer to as political correctness is largely the result of marginalized communities gaining sufficient political power to project their prerogatives onto society at large.

Yes, Trump voters understand this. That's why we think political boundaries should be drawn on cultural lines whenever possible and that multiculturalism leads to social dysfunction.

What a society finds offensive is not a function of fact or truth, but of power. It is why unpunished murders of black Americans by agents of the state draw less outrage than black football players kneeling for the national anthem to protest them.

Let's set aside her use of the word "murder" and her belief that the only possible penalty that equals "punishment" for those cops that do f**k up is a murder conviction.

Really? No city blocks have been burnt down by people mad at NFL kneelers. The national guard hasn't been activated to deal with angry football fans. I can't believe this author is actually a serious person.

53 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Trump at least offered an alternative system, rather than just triage and a continuation of the same system like the Democrats.

Tell me more of this 'alternative system'. Is this the 'tax cuts for the rich while the poor can't afford healthcare' system ? Or the 'vested corporate interests before people and the environment' system ?

Just askin', because it seems to me that it's pretty much business as usual in that regard.

Unless of course you're referring to the 'let's blame immigrants and minorities for the systematic failings of capitalism' system.

1 hour ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Finally, there is a such thing as a "diversity tax." Stuff like having to drive an hour to work and paying 30% more for a house than the one that's located 5 minutes from your work because you need a school system where most of the kids speak English. This "tax" falls disproportionately on people in the middle and lower middle economically. Most of the benefits of immigration accrue to the immigrants themselves and then people at the top of society. People like this author never address this issue. They just write it off as bigotry, when there are real negative economic consequences to diversity for many people.

ww.jpg.7f49b0884b45ef0cdd3483468d7f4b3b.jpg

48 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

The Atlantic article again:

Yes, Trump voters understand this. That's why we think political boundaries should be drawn on cultural lines whenever possible and that multiculturalism leads to social dysfunction.

I think the word you're searching for here is segregation.

21 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Tell me more of this 'alternative system'. Is this the 'tax cuts for the rich while the poor can't afford healthcare' system ? Or the 'vested corporate interests before people and the environment' system ?

Just askin', because it seems to me that it's pretty much business as usual in that regard.

Unless of course you're referring to the 'let's blame immigrants and minorities for the systematic failings of capitalism' system.

ww.jpg.7f49b0884b45ef0cdd3483468d7f4b3b.jpg

Tax cuts for the rich are irrelevant to people in the middle.

Corporate interests sometimes are the same as those of the working class. Sometimes they aren't.

Modern environmentalism is a net negative economically for the working class. 

Many of the problems faced by the working class in the US, both economic and cultural, correlate with mass low skilled immigration, not the advent of liberal capitalism.

20 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I think the word you're searching for here is segregation.

I'm in favor of political borders between nations over which movement is restricted by force. Most people are.

17 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Tax cuts for the rich are irrelevant to people in the middle.

Corporate interests sometimes are the same as those of the working class. Sometimes they aren't.

Modern environmentalism is a net negative economically for the working class. 

Many of the problems faced by the working class in the US, both economic and cultural, correlate with mass low skilled immigration, not the advent of liberal capitalism.

I'm in favor of political borders between nations over which movement is restricted by force. Most people are.

Difference is you believe in white only segregation like in Apartheid South Africa.

You are lower than a snake's belly Swampy.

I don't know anybody in favour of racial segregation.

Must be the white supremacist twats you hang around with.

10 hours ago, KarlMarx said:

Difference is you believe in white only segregation like in Apartheid South Africa.

You are lower than a snake's belly Swampy.

I don't know anybody in favour of racial segregation.

Must be the white supremacist twats you hang around with.

Where have I ever said I'm in favor of segregation? I never have and the facts of my life do not back it up. The first house I bought was directly across the street from a black guy. I hire black people at one of my jobs. My boss asks me not to so I could easily avoid working with them if I wanted. I've rented to a black person at one of the rental properties I own. In fact, every single one of you would behave exactly as I do when it comes to race in the US. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I also don't know anybody who's in favor or segregation. That would be an odd opinion to hold.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Again:

1. That doesn't mean we should further the problem with free trade.

2. If automation is such a problem (you are correct that it is) then the last thing we need is low skilled immigration to take service industry jobs.

3. There is an alternative economic system to that embraced by the Anglo world. Germany, Japan, and China all have government policies which promote exports and a strong manufacturing base. The US from its founding up until the Cold War had a similar policy. Britain built it's empire on the back of a similar policy.