The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

10 hours ago, Swarley said:

If he goes for the 2020 election would he win as an independent? Could he even do that? Who am I kidding he's the greatest President the US has ever seen he'll do whatever he bloody well wants

He is popular with Republican voters. Zero chance any swamp / Wall St Republican candidate would come within a mile of him in the primary.

If he wanted to run as an independent for some reason it would not be any trouble for someone of his stature to get ballot status in every state. It's a pain in the ass for the small parties we currently have. I think the Libertarians are usually the only part to do it. But that's just because they have very limited funds / volunteers to collect signatures. Not a problem Trump would have.

4 hours ago, RiG said:

Do you think Ben Garrison has a bit of a hard spot for Trump? He loves drawing him as some big muscle bound hunk.

The way that is phrased just sums up everything wrong with it "The NFL has decided that it will not force players to stand for the playing of our National Anthem. "

46 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

The NFL couldn’t enforce them to stand.
That would be challenged in court the very next day.

I can’t understand anyone who is pro 1st amendment not liking people kneeling during the national anthem.
Unless it’s crazy racism.

The NFL fines people for writing messages on their cleats or eye black. They famously prevented Tim Tebow from writing John 3:16 on his eye black as he did in college. There is zero first amendment right to use your employers platform to disseminate your speech. Again, if someone held up a "God Hates F***" sign during the national anthem they would be fired immediately.

I'm on the side that corporate America should allow offensive speech, but most people aren't. And this includes almost the entire left half of the political spectrum in America. Most people fired for speech at work are fired for speech that would be considered right wing.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

How the f**k is that even remotely relevant in comparison to people making a choice to NOT say something. Once again, you are a shockingly bad troll and should be emptied from this site immediately. 

Legally, they are the same. If the first amendment covers one, as Cerebus says,  it covers the other. Of course the first amendment covers neither. There are certain reasons where the law prevents you from being fired. Speech is not one. If your employment contract specifies other reasons you can't be fired, the courts will protect you. The collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the players union does not protect speech.

You are correct that they are different from a moral perspective. 

"They'll tell you they're not heroes. They'll say they were just doing their job. And today we honor them as top cops because they are half right. It's true they were  just doing their jobs. From the moment they swore an oath to serve with honor, from the first time they put on a uniform and put on a badge, they knew they might be called upon to do some really tough stuff. But I think that makes them more heroic, not less heroic, because they signed up for this."

Barack Obama

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/obama-praises-hero-nypd-girlfriend-ceremony-article-1.1341515

“But I think that makes them more heroic, not less heroic, because they signed up for this,” Obama said. “They volunteered.”

Doesn't look so bad when you get the benefit of seeing his quote in full.

12 minutes ago, mjw said:

“But I think that makes them more heroic, not less heroic, because they signed up for this,” Obama said. “They volunteered.”

Doesn't look so bad when you get the benefit of seeing his quote in full.

Didn't mean it to look bad. "They signed up for this" is a common way of saying that somebody like a soldier or firefighter was brave. If Trump did say it to this lady I can't imagine he meant it any other way, and I can't imagine you could take it any other way unless you were trying to be offended. Does anybody really think he called up the pregnant widow of a dead soldier and was rude to her because she's black?  It's a laughable opinion to hold.