The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

Trump apparently mentioned a new coal mine that would produce "clean coal … meaning they're taking out coal and they're going to clean it."

TSwift-Confused-4.gif

Edited by RiG

Despite everything else that has happened subsequently, Sean Spicer lying about crowd sizes at the inauguration during his very first press briefing will stick in my mind for a very long time.

Telling a blatant lie and sticking with it on something that was so clearly documented and easy to disprove was an indication of how this Presidency would go.

It is interesting to look at the coverage of Trump on UK media sites and English language European ones as well as the likes of CNN then compare them to Fox News.  It would be easy just to look at Fox and get a completly diffent interpretation of how Western media views the US President.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It is interesting to look at the coverage of Trump on UK media sites and English language European ones as well as the likes of CNN then compare them to Fox News.  It would be easy just to look at Fox and get a completly diffent interpretation of how Western media views the US President.

I sometimes watch Morning Joe on MSNBC. They're pretty brutal, straight up saying he's mentally ill with his dementia getting worse week by week. Many of his most insane tweets are in response to him watching it, usually between 6 and 7 am Washington time. Sometimes they deliberately goad him into tweeting, it can be quite funny.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Watching Fox News report on Trump is the same as reading the Daily Express to get a fair, unbaised coverage of Brexit negotiations.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I sometimes watch Morning Joe on MSNBC. They're pretty brutal, straight up saying he's mentally ill with his dementia getting worse week by week. Many of his most insane tweets are in response to him watching it, usually between 6 and 7 am Washington time. Sometimes they deliberately goad him into tweeting, it can be quite funny.

I sometimes watch that, but I can never get over the fact that I keep thinking it's Agent Dale Cooper presenting.

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I sometimes watch that, but I can never get over the fact that I keep thinking it's Agent Dale Cooper presenting.

Mika's weird too, the way she stares at the camera without saying anything with a half smile.

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That feeling when a right-winger is on the verge of an epiphany:

My wife is much younger than me and pays $1,555 a month for Obamacare, about 20% of our income. I don’t know the solution. You go around the world and they find a way to provide healthcare for people.

6 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Someone on Twitter the other day spotted Craigslist ads for black and latino actors to hold pro-Trump posters at rallies.

Would they actually say that in the advert? Seems a bit suspicious. Not saying it didn't happen but you'd have to be thick as f**k to actually have it in print. If they were going to do it, they would not say it until the interview stage surely?

Maybe I'm being thick treating this seriously.

Talking of Afghanistan, I remember it being a favourite stopping off point on the hippy trail in the 1970's. Here's a picture of the Bin Laden family in Sweden at that time.

osamafamily.jpg

Russia/USSR and the US have a lot to answer for.

Talking of Afghanistan, I remember it being a favourite stopping off point on the hippy trail in the 1970's. Here's a picture of the Bin Laden family in Sweden at that time.
osamafamily.jpg
Russia/USSR and the US have a lot to answer for.

f**k me, looking at those clothes no wonder he hates the west.

10 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Do you really believe these Middle Eastern adventures (the 'war on terror') were ever about fighting terrorism? Even if we were to say this was initially the case, it has demonstrably only ever made the security situation at home and abroad infinitely worse. 

Trump has shown himself to be just another establishment puppet. Who knows whether he actually believed in anything he campaigned on, but he seems willing enough to 'change his mind' on some of the major issues.

I believe the standard narrative. We went into Afghanistan because of 9/11. We went into Iraq because neoconservatives thought they could turn it into a liberal democracy (the conservative flip side of the multicultural leftist belief), which would help US security long term. I'm sure there were arms companies lobbying in favor, but I don't think either war was primarily driven by a profit motive.

As for whether he's a puppet, he has altered his path on foreign policy somewhat. That is to be expected. One of the problems with having a giant military is that you're going to be tempted to use it. It's one of the reasons our founding fathers favored the 2nd amendment/armed population strategy for national defense over building a standing army when they were creating our country. This problem is furthered by the nature of our political system where Presidents get frustrated in their domestic goals but have seemingly unlimited power in foreign policy. One of the areas where I disagreed with Trump the most during the campaign was the whole "rebuild the military" thing.

9 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Never underestimate how politically opposed the State Department is from the current administration.  The vast majority of State Department work (if not necessarily funding) is used on what might be called soft power.  And for the most part, it does a good job.

ETA: those of you with a keen eye may have spotted how blatantly position Trump's supporters were in his insane and not-at-all-fascistic-sounding campaign rally.  Strategically placed was a slightly drunk looking black dude, holding a Blacks For Trump 2020 poster.  

Turns out, he's almost as nuts as his commander-in-chief.

This President Is Not Normal And I Mean That In A Really Bad Way

ETAA This bloke

0822-blacks-for-trump-1.jpg

So you've moved from your position from just after the election when I argued that the Deep State was going to oppose Trump from the bureaucracy? I believe you said the bureaucracy was staffed by professionals who would do their jobs.

As for those "Blacks for Trump" guys, they've been at rallies for the entire campaign. Always in the same spots with the same dress and signs. I always thought they were an example of the street hustle that our African American friends excel at, rather than plants by Trump.

9 hours ago, Fullerene said:

We were also quite friendly with the terrorists when they were fighting the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.  I am not defending the Soviets on this but sometimes your enemy's enemy is your enemy too - and history is littered with too many examples where that has not been understood.

Also, in Pakistan, being a bit soft on the radicals make it less likely you will be assassinated. 

Right. Under Obama, and to a lesser extent Bush, the best play for Pakistani authorities was to pay lip service to US goals, but not really try to hard to help. You have to change their calculation about what's in their best interests. The US is a powerful country. We can collapse economies and overthrow leaders. We can support their enemies. If we are going to contain radical Islam in Afghanistan we are going to need Pakistan's full cooperation. Maybe Trump's strategy won't work, but it makes sense in the context of what he's trying to accomplish in the end.

2 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

That feeling when a right-winger is on the verge of an epiphany:

You might have a point if this guy was voting between the German system and Obamacare. What he was voting for in the last election was Obamacare vs. Trump's mysterious plan that would cover everyone and be affordable. What this guy knows is that before Obamacare, he and his wife had insurance for a reasonable price. Democrats managed to get 60 seats in the Senate and control of the House for the only time since 1992, along with a President who made healthcare his signature priority. So basically the best possible position they could ever achieve. The bill they came up with wasn't the German system. It was Obamacare, and now his costs have gone through the roof. And Hillary Clinton was running on a platform that said Obamacare was great. Why would he possibly vote for that? What you don't understand is that lots of Republicans would favor a more socialized medical system, but that isn't anything close to what the Democrats are ever going to offer because too many Democrats don't want any change which will affect their personal health care coverage, which they like. When they offer Obamacare, many people who might be for more socialized medicine might just decide that what the Republicans are selling is better. 

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

What did they say that was staggeringly stupid? They all seemed like fairly normal people with fairly normal thoughts.

Did trumpy really say that "fake"news werent covering his speech live as they were covering it live???He is a zoomer ffs

There's a growing school of thought that he's not a well man. Medical folks are professionally forbidden from even speculating, sadly.