The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

12 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

The slave owning General won the War.  The commander who bought then educated and released slaves died before the end of the war. 

What next Mount Rushmore? The disbandment of the Democrat Party? The burning of the $ Bills?

I'm going to assume that you were equally opposed to the removal of statues of Sadaam Hussein, Ceausescu and Stalin.

You could also ask the Native Americans what they think of Mount Rushmore.

8 hours ago, dorlomin said:

I try to avoiding feeding this but

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_pagans_in_the_late_Roman_Empire

They were at it from the word go. First Christian emperor and they were ripping down statues and shortly there after killing people they disagreed with. In the East they enthusiastically shut down centres of learning and murdering philosophers like Hypatia (415AD) who had an especially brutal death at the hands of Christians. 

Thanks. I now know not to use that example. Too bad, I thought it was a good point.

8 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I'm going to start by saying I think the violence at the Trump rallies themselves was wrong. The morons have the right to express their moronic political views and cheer on their cretinous perma-tanned hero without fear of assault. 

You're right, they don't have anything like the same significance. The protesters in the East End in 1936 had yet to experience World War 2. They didn't know about the Holocaust. Germany had yet to annex Austria or Czechoslovakia. They had yet to learn about gas chambers, or ovens, or cattle trucks packed with starving, innocent people being transported to their deaths. While news of some of the Nazis' racial policies had reached Britain, many still viewed the Reich as a thoroughly modern and science-led regime to be admired. 

In 2017 we have the benefit of all this historical knowledge, and yet astonishingly we're supposed to believe that there were decent people marching under Nazi banners, amongst hundreds chanting Nazi slogans.  These are the sons and grandsons of people that hung black men from trees for sport. That planted burning crosses on people's lawns. Those that, in another time, and another place would have been enthusiastic recruits to the Waffen SS. I have absolutely no problem with them being met with violence whenever and where-ever they show up. In fact, I would actively encourage it.

You didn't have to know about WWII or the holocaust to know the Nazis were bad. Fascists had recently taken over several European countries, and like you say lots of the respectable set thought they were the future. There's an argument to be made that violent resistance is in order under those conditions. There are no fascist governments in the Western world, the entire elite is united against fascism, and fascist parties get paltry vote totals in both the US and UK. I guess they do a bit better in some European countries, but call me when they get anywhere beyond protest votes.

8 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

The Trump rallies were a pretty clear case of both sides at it IMO. 

100% of organized political violence was by the left. Have you seen the videos? The handful of incidents by Trump supporters involved people making fools of themselves and acting purposely provocatively at a private event. If I went to a Hibs v Hearts game in a Rangers jersey, sat in the supporters section, and started waving a British flag and singing God Save the Queen, I might get punched. That's vastly different than a rival hooligan firm showing up outside a Rangers bar and attacking me as I walk out. 

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It could have been the postman though.

Not quite. They climbed over the fence to the back yard in the middle of the night. Still, obviously something that wouldn't have happened in Scotland.

For those who mentioned stand your ground, that has nothing to do with this case. This is castle doctrine. What stand your ground does in areas where it's passed is extend the concept of the castle doctrine to public areas.

6 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

If I went to a Hibs v Hearts game in a Rangers jersey, sat in the supporters section, and started waving a British flag and singing God Save the Queen, I might get punched. 

That would depend on what end you were sitting in.

52 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'd just like to state my appreciation of someone with a Washington Redskins logo in their signature making this equivalence.

Despite the whole national media being in favor of changing the name or at least agreeing it might be offensive:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html?utm_term=.fee3f77d0aed

New poll finds 9 in 10 Native Americans aren’t offended by Redskins name

Perfect example of how a small group of activists yell long enough about something being racist (often because that's how they make money) and eventually a bunch of white liberals will agree to signal their anti-racist virtue, whether what the activists were actually complaining about is actually racist.

Looking forward to seeing what happens now tbf. Some salutary lessons in what happens if you court the lunatic fringe to get power then make a complete arse of it, hopefully en route.

One imagines a few of the billy-bobs who dress up like action man are planning to have the tangocunt gralloched and tied to the bonnet of their pick up truck by sunrise.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Gorka's a joke. Well rid, but I'd rather Stephen Miller got garroted, he's more dangerous.

It has to be a stake through the heart for Miller or a golden bullet or decapitation.

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

On what basis?  Unpopularity, crassness and incompetence are not grounds for impeachment.  They are grounds for voting out, but that's not for another three years.  Short of the investigation turning up something seriously scandalous, he's not going to be impeached, which would be the first step in him leaving office.  

Apparently a president can't be impeached on numerous grounds. Process has started apparently.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-impeachment-process-charlottesville-president-651925

I'm no US political expert but if his own party continues to desert him and the only people left are neo-Nazis then I'd imagine it would be quite easy for Democrats and moderate Republicans to block every move he makes.

7 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Apparently a president can't be impeached on numerous grounds. Process has started apparently.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-impeachment-process-charlottesville-president-651925

I'm no US political expert but if his own party continues to desert him and the only people left are neo-Nazis then I'd imagine it would be quite easy for Democrats and moderate Republicans to block every move he makes.

If there's a majority in both houses (I think) for impeachment, you don't need much of a reason, maladministration is enough. Being as he's only managed to fill a small fraction of nominees for Government posts so far, including Ambassador to South Korea and the relevant State Department roles related to North Korea and the region, I'd say that's a given.

That's just grandstanding by the senator and serves to detract from any future legitimate case for impeachment. Trump is vile and abhorrent, but there is no case for impeachment at this point. Censure, perhaps.

And despite the hysteria - much of it understandable - Trump hasn't actually been able to do much damage, because moderate Republicans have sided with minority Democrats. The system has checks and balances.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If there's a majority in both houses (I think) for impeachment, you don't need much of a reason, maladministration is enough. Being as he's only managed to fill a small fraction of nominees for Government posts so far, including Ambassador to South Korea and the relevant State Department roles related to North Korea and the region, I'd say that's a given.

Majority in the House of Representatives. Two-thirds majority in the Senate.

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

While it would be nice if he could be impeached for monumental fuckwittery, there needs to be at least a strong indication that he's committed a crime. For example; Clinton wasn't impeached for getting an illicit hummer but for lying about it under oath. That said, there are numerous grounds for investigation into Trump's behaviour before and after taking office. His role in Russia's alleged interference with the election and the crossover between his family's business interests and official government policy being just two. It's beyond improbable that he hasn't broken at least one law, most likely several.

However, as the Republicans control both houses, the responsibility lies with them as to how aggressively they pursue. Despite each day's events being more farcical than the last, and rats leaving the ship at an alarming rate, there still appears to be little stomach among the faithful for going after one of their own. That really would be "unpresidented."

I suspect a more realistic outcome is that a few of them will take him down to the basement of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and rough him up a little before suggesting he look for an alternative line of work. He'll then quit in a blazing storm of petulance, blaming everyone but himself and rush back to Trump Tower with the White House silver in his suitcase. 

I also suspect we won't learn the half of what the loathsome sack has been up to until he's long out of office and hopefully, down in the warm place.

Edited by Shotgun

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

I suspect a more realistic outcome is that a few of them will take him down to the basement of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and rough him up a little before suggesting he look for an alternative line of work. He'll then quit in a blazing storm of petulance, blaming everyone but himself and rush back to Trump Tower with the White House silver in his suitcase. 

I also suspect we won't learn the half of what the loathsome sack has been up to until he's long out of office and hopefully, down in the warm place.

That's probably what will happen. "Donald, did you think we wouldn't look at your tax records? Hans from Deutsche Bank and Dimitri have filled in the gaps. Time for you to get back to your TV world and golf, without all the responsibility and cable TV laughing at you every fucking morning. Don't you think?"