The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

11 minutes ago, Deplorable said:

..In other news, Trump kept his promise on repealing Obama's anti-coal regulations that would have cost thousands of jobs in the poorest areas of the country. Trump even invited a coal miner from my town even got to say a few words.

Debateable how much difference that will make given shale gas from fracking is what has undercut coal economically.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161007105548.htm

Much the same happened in the UK when North Sea gas came on stream. There's still plenty of coal underground in Scotland but the economics of going after it became unfavourable for similar reasons even before we get into Maggie T's antics.

25 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Debateable how much difference that will make given shale gas from fracking is what has undercut coal economically.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161007105548.htm

Much the same happened in the UK when North Sea gas came on stream. There's still plenty of coal underground in Scotland but the economics of going after it became unfavourable for similar reasons even before we get into Maggie T's antics.

Right. That is a long term problem for coal producers. It doesn't mean that the government has to jump on the back of coal in an attempt to drive them out of business quicker. These specific regulations were put in place in the last weeks of Obama's administration, so they wouldn't have been included in any study.

Also, what our representatives argue is that the federal government has a certain amount of control in deciding the make up of the raw materials which go into the electricity grid. They constantly prioritize this or that pet project, but coal is always treated as the red headed step child. I don't think the people here are seeking a permanent subsidy for coal, but something to help smooth out the transition and diversification of our economy would be helpful. And really it's not much different than Iowa asking for ethanol subsidies or NYC asking for banker bailouts.

Edited by Deplorable

That press conference was genuinely magnificent. Much of what he's doing will go down in history, but that will be remembered forever. It might even be peak Trump. I don't see how he can beat that. 

I know the man is an idiot but purely from a social experiment perspective, it's pretty impressive that he seems to retain broadly 40-45% of the country's support with quite literally the entire world against him. 

2 hours ago, Paco said:

That press conference was genuinely magnificent. Much of what he's doing will go down in history, but that will be remembered forever. It might even be peak Trump. I don't see how he can beat that. 

I know the man is an idiot but purely from a social experiment perspective, it's pretty impressive that he seems to retain broadly 40-45% of the country's support with quite literally the entire world against him. 

He's now on Twitter thanking everybody for their praise.  I'm pretty sure he read your post.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Could get interesting if Flynn passed on anything from the Intelligence briefings he sat in on during the transition, to the Russian Ambassador, and Trump was aware of it.

http://fortune.com/2017/02/17/michael-flynn-russia-donald-trump/

Do you take the over/under on a year?

Edited by Savage Henry

1 hour ago, Paco said:

I don't think it's possible to have a rational debate with the people who watched that and were happy with his performance. Trump clearly wants a country in the style of Russia, where the President wields almost unlimited executive authority, and a supine press and judiciary allow him to.

The rally is meant to change the optics that the opposition mainstream media is presenting and to show his drawing power to keep the Congressional Republicans in line.
I know I'm talking out my ass sometimes, but I'm not sure there's a less informed poster here than Mr. Danger.

In other news, Trump kept his promise on repealing Obama's anti-coal regulations that would have cost thousands of jobs in the poorest areas of the country. Trump even invited a coal miner from my town to say a few words.

Granny d is a very good poster actually, chief - especially in this thread.

What did you think of the press conference? You can't defend that, surely? The man has some serious psychotic tendencies. His ego is out of control and is affecting the day to day running of your country.

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Did you think he was swampy?

A few of us thought he was Swampy (even when Deplorable was Yank Mike). The fact that this doesn't appear to be Swampy and is actually a genuine poster, and therefore actually a racist tosser (instead of pretending to be one) plenty justifies RG's view imo. I chose the other option of putting the tedious c**t on ignore along with that other terminal bore, Banana.

ETA: Unless this is some truly epic work by Swampy, who does have previous on here for pinching other folks pictures and using them on his profile :lol:  But that's Inception-level nonsense.

Edited by jupe1407

A few of us thought he was Swampy (even when Deplorable was Yank Mike). The fact that this doesn't appear to be Swampy and is actually a genuine poster, and therefore actually a racist tosser (instead of pretending to be one) plenty justifies RG's view imo. I chose the other option of putting the tedious c**t on ignore along with that other terminal bore, Banana.
ETA: Unless this is some truly epic work by Swampy, who does have previous on here for pinching other folks pictures and using them on his profile [emoji38]  But that's Inception-level nonsense.

I just think of the guy is genuine then I'd like to discuss the issues as much as possible.

Calling folk racists is too easy, and I don't necessarily think it's healthy.

He's not an openly racist Klan type. And although I disagree with him on most things I'm still willing to engage in discourse.

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I just think of the guy is genuine then I'd like to discuss the issues as much as possible.

Calling folk racists is too easy, and I don't necessarily think it's healthy.

He's not an openly racist Klan type. And although I disagree with him on most things I'm still willing to engage in discourse.

His previous incarnation was literally banned for racist posting :lol:

He WAS an openly racist Klan type. Which is why he was banned. His dishonest act of being less so doesn't make him less of a racist. It just makes him a liar.

But playing the man and not the ball is such a tricky business on internet forums.

Surely it's easier just to deal with the arguments? Bit by bit? Win the arguments.

The whole 'aye right swampy' stuff was incredibly tedious and then turned out to be plain wrong. Just argue the posts and try and debate in constructive manner.

The Swampy stuff was pretty counter productive. If you're going to play the man, at least do it right. The arguments he makes are made on the basis of bigotry. Someone that old who still has those beliefs isn't going to be won over. They're fuelled by hatred.