Highlands & Islands - info appreciated

Saigon Raider

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, microdave said:

That's incredible. He's definitely got stamina. Not a chance I'm cycling!

Doing it in 5 days in a car would be fairly leisurely. You could easily take 10 days though stopping off at places for a day or so.

On 15 January 2017 at 21:57, Big Rider said:
I didn't see the trawler when we were there last year so it must have been salvaged earlier.
Interesting report, tiredness, couple of drams, warm cabin, etc. Sounds like a recipe for disaster right enough.

It was still there in August
IMG_20160825_161513.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well I ended up rushing round in three days. It was amazing and the scenery stunning. I lost count of the number of times my jaw dropped as I went round a corner or over a hill. I'll definitely do it again but maybe over the course of a week as three days was too rushed. f1975e8ebfaac2c3f2b99f6b8c616006.jpg
040ed941bdc2fb56110f31c70b52ca6b.jpg
46bb2d3706ad7b00287979e7611c54d6.jpg
a63883cf8e875edd01cde5fb6e3920a6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is magnificent. I've got a couple of days to myself and so close to jumping in car and heading up after seeing this:

Scotland's rocky road: a journey to the edge of Lewis – a photo essay

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jun/28/scotlands-rocky-road-a-journey-to-the-edge-of-lewis-a-photo-essay?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

12 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

This is magnificent. I've got a couple of days to myself and so close to jumping in car and heading up after seeing this:

Scotland's rocky road: a journey to the edge of Lewis – a photo essay

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jun/28/scotlands-rocky-road-a-journey-to-the-edge-of-lewis-a-photo-essay?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

That first image is Mangersta (Mangurstadh). If you put the Gaelic spelling into google it's usually my stuff that comes up first :thumsup2

8 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Geologically it is but it's connected at Tarbert. There's a wee bit of road in the village where views of the Minch and the Atlantic are only about 20 paces apart IIRC.

No, that's not right. It's one island (Isle of Lewis and Harris) and people just have a habit of saying one or the other. You actually enter North Harris at Loch Seaforth, near Aline. South Harris starts at Loch Tarbert. 

A lot of the confusion arises because Lewis was part of Ross & Cromarty and Harris was Invernessshire so they were run by different councils.

Coming up in August with the Mrs, going to be driving up so we can stop off in the Lake District and then Edinburgh before having four days in the Highlands. Not got a plan as such, so open to go anywhere really.

Looking for a Loch or nice beach where we can have a swim, did Achmelvich not so long back and that was incredible. So anything like that would be ideal. 

On 19/01/2017 at 08:09, stevieKTID said:

It was still there in August
IMG_20160825_161513.jpg

Does it still have Sevco's title winning blueprint in the bridge?

On 05/07/2017 at 09:43, LondonHMFC said:

Coming up in August with the Mrs, going to be driving up so we can stop off in the Lake District and then Edinburgh before having four days in the Highlands. Not got a plan as such, so open to go anywhere really.

Looking for a Loch or nice beach where we can have a swim, did Achmelvich not so long back and that was incredible. So anything like that would be ideal. 

Depends how you want to fill your days I guess. Castles, walks, distilleries, etc . I would always say Coigach and Assynt but if you have recently done Achmelvich and want something different I would say:

Day 1 drive up through Glencoe which is stunning enough and through Fort William out to Arisaig and Morar. Great beaches there, especially silver sands at Morar.

Day 2 Ferry from Mallaig to Skye. Millions to see and do on Skye you could spend a week here. Lovely secluded bay at Talisker. Baltic though.

Day 3 Skye to Drumnadrochit. Passing through great Glen and Loch Ness. Brilliant whisky bar in Drumnadrochit.

Day 4 You could go to Culloden or head down to the Cairngorms for a wander round Rothiemurchus forest and up Cairn Gorm itself. TBH I would go for 2 days on Skye and head straight down road after Drumnadrochit.

Archived