Reorganisation of East Region Leagues

Vollyman

What do you mean"trying to change a whole league set up to suit yourself" that is total nonsense. At last years East of Scotland AGM several clubs complained about the present set up and it was decided by the member clubs that the management committee would review the situation and put forward a proposal which they have now done. The member clubs will decide the way forward.

I wasn't aware that I was quoting you. However you do illustrate my point, we're going through this whole charade because "several" clubs moaned about travelling. There are 60 member clubs and I would like to think the vast majority are happy traveling over a bridge, maybe even two, now and again.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I wasn't aware that I was quoting you. However you do illustrate my point, we're going through this whole charade because "several" clubs moaned about travelling. There are 60 member clubs and I would like to think the vast majority are happy traveling over a bridge, maybe even two, now and again.

11 minutes ago, Vollyman said:

The idea of the management carrying out a review was not opposed at the AGM. I may have mislead by saying several clubs were dissatisfied. I have already expressed my opinion on the new proposal in a previous post I feel that is a step backwards

1 minute ago, Vollyman said:

The idea of the management carrying out a review was not opposed at the AGM therefore it must be concluded that more than several clubs were dissatisfied with the set up. I have already given my personal thoughts about the new proposal in a previous post I feel it is horrendous

Well, how it actually went was that Lochore submitted a proposal, backed by Lochgelly to re-organise the league set-up (very similar to this one in fact). They agreed to withdraw the proposal probably because it was actually "incompetent" and wouldn't have got to the stage of a vote, and instead the management committee said they would send out questionnaires to clubs to gather views and then investigate.

Nobody dissented at the withdrawal of the proposal, nobody asked for the committee to take it any further via questionaires/task force, therefore IMO that should have been the end of the matter. However I guess it suits the agenda of some at the top table to try and instigate change, however as you say it is horrendous for reasons posted on earlier pages.

We'll find out Tuesday night how it goes down.

It's understandable that clubs on the up like Blackburn are going to be disappointed if there is any reconstruction.  I personally think the fans should be asked for there opinions.travelling is a big issue not just the cost but the time spent on match days by committees, coaches and players. As you say Tuesday evening will clear up how junior football will be contested in the East. 

28 minutes ago, daleboy1969 said:

It's understandable that clubs on the up like Blackburn are going to be disappointed if there is any reconstruction.  I personally think the fans should be asked for there opinions.travelling is a big issue not just the cost but the time spent on match days by committees, coaches and players. As you say Tuesday evening will clear up how junior football will be contested in the East. 

Well for a start it renders next season utterly meaningless, what would be the point of promotion this season, you'll be back in a District league the season after next regardless.  Also for current clubs in the District Leagues, it would be back to only one promotion spot, with the added bonus of current Premier clubs dropped into your league as well. You'd be insane to want any of that, it's what drove change 4 years ago in the first place.

As i have stated previously we (Craigroyston) as new boys are in favour of the current set up as we have not known any different. I would say as far as we are concerned that travelling in the South division is no more and probably less than we had in the EOS league although this might be different if we are fortunate at some point to be promoted.

Personally I am against seeding in cups as the thrill of the cups is possibly getting drawn against one of the 'big teams'.

Voting can only happen at an AGM (or EGM) so I'm not sure what is happening at this meeting, maybe just the "Think Tank" explaining their conclusions to the member clubs.  I can't see it getting to the AGM for a formal vote but who knows.

Very surprised at a club like Nitten backing this, even more surprise at Bonnyrigg sitting on the fence, surely after the season they have had in the Scottish they see the benefits of progression, not regression. Haddington sum it up perfectly.

I have looked at the proposal objectively from a viewpoint of Newburgh. Currently in the North League and travelling to the far flung corners of Tayside and Angus.
The mileage on average travelled across our 14 away fixtures this season averages out at 50.6 miles - return journey
If the leagues are reorganised in the way suggested our average mileage across the 15 away games would be 50.4 miles per away fixture - return journey.
So there is no travel saving for us.
Sentiment aside I see no difference to us playing Brechin or Oakley a game is a game whether in Angus or Fife
There may be a small crowd uplift if more perceived local games were being played but not a dramatic change I wouldn't imagine.
The loss of a second promotion slot is a disadvantage in my personal opinion.
A sustained period in the Premier league is Newburgh's ambition in the medium term which is a realistic target for pretty much any team in a regional League. If there was no premier how would most teams fare if lucky enough to be promoted - not well I wouldn't think unless a lump of cash came their way. And we all know what happens when a club gets an unsustainable cash injection....
The only change I would like to see is some form of a cup competition to be run for the regional leagues only after Christmas to keep the interest going for teams that are out of all the other cups and more than likely are out of promotion chase.
My opinion and not one I would force down anyone else's throat
Happy to consider any other options as change is not always the worst option

Archived