Stranraer v Queen's Park

Really poor from Stranraer today. McKeown currently looks as shadow of the player we all know he can be and Watt doesn't impress me much at right back. Belford was having a decent game until he made a really bad error for their second goal but debateable if we would have came back into game anyway. Once again Agnew failed to make an impression and Nade didn't even get off the bench despite the fact we were doing very little in attack - worrying that neither of our marque signings have produced anything much of note by November. Both are potentially good players but starting to wonder how motivated they are. We certainly missed Gibson and McGuigan (who was apparently unwell and only played for a short spell) and never really looked like getting much change out of a very mediocre Queens Park side.

Only positives were a committed display by Dick and some promising runs by Thomson down the right flank. Oh and watching the Queens Park fan who spent most of the first half putting up 4 different flags - he had a busy day.....just a pity some of our players weren't as productive. Its best not to overreact though and am certainly not going to start calling for Reid's head like I did last season. Think its a bit early for that given he has shown how he can turn a season around. No denying we need start to improving though.    

Can't disagree with any of this - excellent summary!

Really poor from Stranraer today. McKeown currently looks as shadow of the player we all know he can be and Watt doesn't impress me much at right back. Belford was having a decent game until he made a really bad error for their second goal but debateable if we would have came back into game anyway. Once again Agnew failed to make an impression and Nade didn't even get off the bench despite the fact we were doing very little in attack - worrying that neither of our marque signings have produced anything much of note by November. Both are potentially good players but starting to wonder how motivated they are. We certainly missed Gibson and McGuigan (who was apparently unwell and only played for a short spell) and never really looked like getting much change out of a very mediocre Queens Park side.

Only positives were a committed display by Dick and some promising runs by Thomson down the right flank. Oh and watching the Queens Park fan who spent most of the first half putting up 4 different flags - he had a busy day.....just a pity some of our players weren't as productive. Its best not to overreact though and am certainly not going to start calling for Reid's head like I did last season. Think its a bit early for that given he has shown how he can turn a season around. No denying we need start to improving though.    

So, so true.

One up front at home is abysmal, especially against a team we'd beaten fairly recently.
Reid changed the shape to a four four two but took too long to bro g on an actual forward. Nade and McGuigan sitting on the bench far too long.
Reid and his staff just sat in the dugout and seemed fairly acceptant of the defeat.

33 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

If being very mediocre means we magic up great goals, a shut out and an away win more often, then it gets my vote.

Yes you make a good point and you have every right to be happy with the result and your team's performance. From a Stranraer perspective though we lost at home to a team who in my opinion will be battling relegation all season and will lose more games than they will win in this league. That's not to say you can't or won't finish above us though! Having been in the promotion play offs last season its the sort of game we need to be looking to win - hope that doesn't sound disrespectful because Queens Park do great for an amateur team and anyone from Glasgow who decides to go against the flow and follow anyone bar Celtic/Rangers will always be viewed favourably by me.

16 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Gus had to change things after the serious tonking last week and it certainly worked.

Aye it sure did. By far our best away performance of the season. I think the majority wanted to see McKernon, Gibson, and Brady back in the starting line up and all 3 were excellent but having the bonus of Burns back as well made a huge difference to our attacking play. The changes also gave Woods the freedom to get forward in support of Zanatta, I thought  that was the best Woods has played for ages. A superbly taken first goal by Dario and absolute scenes at the second. Just shows you what a bit of confidence can do for you and Brady was full of that on Saturday. An all round quality day out and sesh.  

Couldn't agree more Mick however the question is will he stick with this team for Saturday! He tends to chop and change a lot rather than try get some momentum going and form a consistent team. I would like to see the same team again on Saturday. 

Archived