#poppygate

RadgerTheBadger

"Before they start telling us what to do, they jolly well ought to sort their own house out," said Mrs May, citing the recent Fifa corruption claims which have seen dozens of former officials prosecuted or banned from the sport.

"Our football players want to recognise and respect those who have given their lives for our safety and security. It is absolutely right they should be able to do so."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37853386

fozzieheadinhand_zps8bf75725.gif

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Danny Mills has decided the players should all get temporary tattoos, stick them on their hands and raise their hands to their hearts during the anthems :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37857370

Oh fur fu...

I've said it in another thread, but this has reached a new level of ridiculousness.  Still not exactly sure why it's crucial for someone to wear something to be able to remember something.  I know these players are thick, but surely they can remember them without looking down at their arm? 

I can scarcely believe we are actually committed to risking a fine and/or points deduction over this. Why is so important for these footballers to wear a flower on their arm for 90 mins? Why has it only became an issue in the last decade? As has been pointed out elsewhere, a more meaningful gesture might have been all gate receipts from the match being turned over to the British Legion or similar. 

On a wider note, I'm interested to see where the logical end point to all this poppy stuff is. In a race to the bottom to out-remember each other do we wear them for an entire month? Season? Year? Perhaps embroidering the thing into clothes generally would be enough. Tattoos at birth perhaps?

Didn't ROI wear some kind of 1916 symbol on their shirts earlier this year?  Don't recall a huge fuss about that.

That's because it was only a friendly match & not a FIFA competition like this is. Pretty much in the same way if Celtic had flew Palestinian flags in a friendly, we wouldn't have been punished the way we were playing in a UEFA CL match.

44 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

That's because it was only a friendly match & not a FIFA competition like this is. Pretty much in the same way if Celtic had flew Palestinian flags in a friendly, we wouldn't have been punished the way we were playing in a UEFA CL match.

was it Celtic FC or was it Celtic fans?  Don't see why the club should be punished because some fans want to fly a flag.  If that's the case then shouldn't Scotland and England be punished if any of their fans wears a poppy to the game if Fifa have deemed it a political statement in the same way the waving of a Palestinian flag was?

was it Celtic FC or was it Celtic fans?  Don't see why the club should be punished because some fans want to fly a flag.  If that's the case then shouldn't Scotland and England be punished if any of their fans wears a poppy to the game if Fifa have deemed it a political statement in the same way the waving of a Palestinian flag was?

Celtic should have had procedures to ensure those flags weren't allowed within the stadium

20 minutes ago, HairyBawz said:

Celtic should have had procedures to ensure those flags weren't allowed within the stadium

So the FA needs to have procedures in place to ensure no-one enters the stadium wearing a poppy going by that logic.

Saw a post on Facebook yesterday from one of those Rangers fan group pages. Saying something along the lines of "the FA have announced their players will still be wearing poppies, the SFA haven't. DISGUSTING FROM THE SFA". Needless to say it popped up on my timeline due a well-known simpleton liking it.

The comments were full of Scottish Rangers fans saying how glad they are that they already support England instead. 

5 hours ago, Consolidate said:

I can scarcely believe we are actually committed to risking a fine and/or points deduction over this. Why is so important for these footballers to wear a flower on their arm for 90 mins? Why has it only became an issue in the last decade? As has been pointed out elsewhere, a more meaningful gesture might have been all gate receipts from the match being turned over to the British Legion or similar. 

On a wider note, I'm interested to see where the logical end point to all this poppy stuff is. In a race to the bottom to out-remember each other do we wear them for an entire month? Season? Year? Perhaps embroidering the thing into clothes generally would be enough. Tattoos at birth perhaps?

Tony Barrett has a very balanced article on the whole thing at http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/poppy-row/95762 which explains the background (spoiler: it's the Daily Mail's fault). But then again, he won't be wearing a Poppy on Sunday therefore his views are disgusting/irrelevant/racist. 

Its nothing to do with fifa, it's political,  at a time of brexit and possible indyref2 this is a britnats wet dream the chance for a mawkish display of British nationalism on the grandest scale possible involving England and Scotland.   No way we're they gonna pass that up.

It's about respect for our war dead,nothing to do with politics,but you carry on with your britnat grievances.

1 minute ago, kevthedee said:

It's about respect for our war dead,nothing to do with politics,but you carry on with your britnat grievances.

Nah, it's all about politics over the last 5 or 10 years, I'll pay my respects to my papa in my own way, buying a poppy will no longer be one way for me.

Archived