Killiesquirrel

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meadow Park (obviously),

But the following for different reasons,

Pollok - just a good ground with great viewing,

Lochee Utd - Good natural amphitheatre,

And will throw in Linlithgow, Troon & Talbot too.

Best in terms of playing/coaching/ spectating/ hospitality from all angles. 1st Troon 2nd lochee utd 3rd linlithgow rose 4th Dundee north end 5th Newton Grange.
My knowledge of West is limited.
Camelon is the worst shit hole.

Hi folks. 

I'm doing  a feature on the top five junior grounds on my blog and I was wondering everyone's opinions. 

What are your five favorite junior grounds and why? 

Do you mean our favourite grounds, or the ones we think are the best in terms of facilities/surface etc?

Tough one to answer as I'm sure most junior supporters will have more than a top 5 fave grounds, but here goes:

Top 5 Grounds

Duncansfield - Our patch

Beechwood Park - Auchinleck 

Prestonfield - Linlithgow

Townhead park (renovated) - Cumnock

Central Park (renovated) - Kelty

Other favourites:

Carmuirs Park, Camelon (when not flooded lol)

Meadow Park - Irvine

Portland Park - Troon

New Victoria Park - Newtongrange

Couldnt resist the extra ones lol :thumsup2

You should structure your question to the likes of

Playing surface

Seating

Covered standing

Social Club

Catering facilities

Male/Female/Disabled toilets

Disabled access

Train station

Parking

Then you could work out which is the best grounds because some of the ones already mentioned wouldn't come up to scratch.

Yeah best grounds in general. Facilities, surface, even stuff like easiness to get to and parking could come into it. 

In that case my own choices would be:-

Meadow Park - great big stand which contains the social club and changing rooms. The surface is always decent and games are rarely called off. Good view from the hill of earth on the far side as well.

Newlandsfield - again, a great big stand which is well maintained. The ground is pretty well enclosed which makes for a good atmosphere and the pitch is always in good condition.

Winton Park - I don't think this place gets anywhere near the credit it deserves. The surface is good, it has floodlights and a lot of well maintained space outside the playing area. Plenty of cover and parking outside. The only thing letting it down is the lack of Premier League football.

Beechwood, Auchinleck - very good pitch and the terracing is very tidy. It has a fair bit of cover as well as a big stand. Parking is pretty poor though and some of the atmosphere is lost because of the lack of a wall behind and to the side of one of the goals, unless there is a big away crowd at that end.

Townhead Park, Cumnock -I haven't been since it was upgraded but I liked the atmosphere it can produce. There is a decent amount of cover and proper turnstiles to pass through. I also liked the elevated walkway to the dressing rooms which is an uncommon feature.

For character - Benburb and Petershill. Not their current grounds but their previous 

Picturesque - Newburgh, Haddington

Viewing - Pollok, Linlithgow

Best pies - Haddington, by a country mile

Newlandsfield Park, Pollok - My personal favourite, always well looked after and tidy. You couldn't possibly be closer to the pitch and Pollok get decent crowds so that atmosphere tends to be quite good

Portland Park, Troon - A proper wee Junior ground with an absolutely glorious pitch. Right next to the station too, so it's dead easy to get to.

Duncansfield Park, Kilsyth - I'm not actually quite sure what it is about Kilsyth, but there's something really likeable about the stadium. Has a full length stand covering one side of the pitch, which is almost always empty, and plenty of terracing right near the dugout on the other side. Has a sort of oval shape to it, and it's quite easy to imagine it being heaving back in the day.

Bellsdale Park, Beith - Not exactly the most beautiful stadium in the world, but certainly one of the most unique. The slope is unreal! Cracking pies, your dead close to the pitch and have the option of covered or uncovered viewing. Quite sad we didn't get them in the Scottish. Also Mark McLaughlin :wub:

New Western Park, Renfrew - Not only do I hate the majority of new stadiums, I also really, really hate Astroturf pitches...but Renfrew have just about nailed it. Plenty of parking spaces, a decent amount of character for a new ground with the wee stand and crowds that are a good mix of the usual old guys and young kids. Can't help but like it a lot, and I feel bad saying it.

I know the feature isn't 'West Region Grounds Sonsteam of 08 Likes', but if it was then these are the ones I'd pick!

My best and not necessarily my favourites which is entirely different ; 

1- Linlithgow - Excellent seating area , nice pitch ,FLOODLIGHTS ,  reasonably enclosed ground  , good social club and its an excellent all round venue. 

2- Pollok - Can't help but just feel you've arrived at a real junior venue when you go up there, good pitch , cracking big Stand , excellent railway access, good bar beside the ground and an all round good ground. 

3- Sauchie - Probably the closest ground you will get to Linlithgow with the seated stand , floodlights and general lay out and the place looks like a cracking wee ground . 

4- Auchinleck Talbot - Amazing pitch , constant improvements every time you go down there , again a nice big seated stand , two standing enclosures , good social club and an all round top venue. 

5- Irvine meadow - Has seen some genuine all round  improvements the last dozen or so years , cracking big seated stand , superb surface , tidy social club and it's looking well with its blend of tradition in the old stand and the modern social club that sits below it.  

If there was a number six it would be troon as the changes down there have been great the last several years and I enjoy a day down there.

Nothing quite like your own ground of course in terms of a favourite and I would also include Cumnock , winton park , hill o' beath , arthurlie, ballingry and the old adamslie park amongst my favourites. 

Archived