Rovers v Airdrie

22 hours ago, Evil Jim Fenner said:

I see the Rovers have properly finished off behind the goals into a 'section'...fence at both ends, and a brick wall at the front of the terrace.

Will still fit our 7-800 in, but it will be tight.

Can small boys push the wall over?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a long term Diamonds fan, I think that Rovers have overreached themselves. Their inevitable path is back to the bottom tier in the professional game and flirting (every other year) with disappearing altogether. The history will bear me out here. I mean, the stadium!!!!!

As a long term Diamonds fan, I think that Rovers have overreached themselves. Their inevitable path is back to the bottom tier in the professional game and flirting (every other year) with disappearing altogether. The history will bear me out here. I mean, the stadium!!!!!

Ooft what's wrong with her [emoji115][emoji115]

23 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I can't disagree with your analysis here. The fact that not only are we still around but are a force in the third tier is one to be celebrated. Scottish football is cyclical so teams should enjoy their days in the sun.

None of the current Rovers BOD were around - except as terracing fans -  40 years ago - and certainly not in any position of authority, Despite all the `feel good` publicity Rovers have been badly served by big time charlie`s that were around - and have now disappeared - for the past few years. 

Again a fair comment, but, a club should set a direction, and this ought to guide those who take control in future years. It looks to me that Rovers have had little vision over those decades, but, hats off to them, they are ok for now. 3 nil to the Diamonds on Saturday [emoji28][emoji28]

43 minutes ago, Nicko said:

3 nil to the Diamonds on Saturday emoji28.pngemoji28.png

Possibly, but if so you'll have scored more goals than we've conceded in our last four games. And you're confident that big Boateng will keep wee Wallace off the score sheet. I'd imagine Boateng's having sleepless nights remembering the last match.

Fair comment, but Christ almighty, Cliftonhill is one of the worst. I think that the Rovers board have hibernated for 40 years, and for that, they deserve to be slated by their fans.

Would rather we had a ground like cliftonhill we owned than that monstrosity we play currently play in any day of the week.

Am I right in thinking that the Rovers were planning to move out, but that got scuppered when the company that was going to buy their current stadium got hit when the recession started?  I'm sure I've heard that from somewhere, but I can't remember if it was actually the case.

Once upon a time there was terracing all the way round Cliftonhill but that was destroyed behind each goal in the 60s to create a banked speedway track. There is still terracing steps full length of the pitch on the north side but the costs to bring that up to current standards make this prohibitive. Is it worthwhile anyway to cater for crowds averaging 500??

When did your average attendance increase by 150? You've not had a crowd of 500 or better for a home league match this season.

Onto Saturday's game. Hoping for an away win but this will be a difficult match. Score draw. 2-2. 

1 hour ago, The Pastmaster said:

Once upon a time there was terracing all the way round Cliftonhill but that was destroyed behind each goal in the 60s to create a banked speedway track. There is still terracing steps full length of the pitch on the north side but the costs to bring that up to current standards make this prohibitive. Is it worthwhile anyway to cater for crowds averaging 500??

I'm sure I can remember when we were on the North side terracing of Cliftonhill, must have been in the late 80's, and I'm sure the gates got knocked over when some of our fans were somewhat desperate to leave. 

49 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

I'm sure I can remember when we were on the North side terracing of Cliftonhill, must have been in the late 80's, and I'm sure the gates got knocked over when some of our fans were somewhat desperate to leave. 

Yeah that was around 89/90 when we had Nipper and Stevie Gray.    

Remember Scotland played England in a school boy international at Broomfield in the morning before the game at Cliftonhill.

Also remember us in the North terracing against Hamilton when they ground shared there a few years later.

Archived