Scott Brown International U-Turn

NewHope

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really mixed feelings on this - on one hand, he's a better option than Bannan and Darren Fletcher, who both just aren't good enough for international football. We need better in that position.

On the other hand, he turned his back on Scotland, was horrendous last campaign and is another man who has prodigiously failed for Scotland over his career. It is a last, desperate attempt by Gordon Strachan, which is too late. He needed Brown in Slovakia and against Lithuania. Too late now.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Then as a central midfielder, you've got to give him credit for the goals Celtic have scored too IMO ;)

Sure Broony notched a very important one if we are including qualifying rounds Ruggy :P

He's up there in the all time Scottish male greats with King Eck, Kenny Miller and Andy Murray for me

DELIGHTED

Eta: better get his armband back

Personally I'd go as far as to say he's also the greatest female Scot too.

A lot folk are being blinded by the "HE TURNED HIS BACK ON HIS COUNTRY!!!!11!!1" pish and the fact as a person he seems a bit of a w**k/plays for one of the OF. In footballing terms that is completely irrelevant, though. I want our best players playing and given Brown's good start to the season and Fletcher/the team's performances this campaign so far, having him back will improve our midfield.

Brown is no different from others who previously declined to play for their country (Weir being the prime offender) and were welcomed back. What gets me, however, is the assumption that he and Mcarthur will be the midfield and that most of the failures against Lithuania and Slovakia will also be in the picture.

Firstly, the previous lot should be discarded as they got us into this mess, and secondly even if they are not (they wont be of course) what if they are out of form ? There are lots of Scottish league players who are in good form and would jump at the chance of a cap, several have been mentioned on this forum, but I predict there will be no new players in the squad and even worse, there will be Englishmen included to face their own country.

Thankfully it will be Strachans last game in charge. Good riddance.

13 minutes ago, Lindsay Grant said:

Brown is no different from others who previously declined to play for their country (Weir being the prime offender) and were welcomed back. What gets me, however, is the assumption that he and Mcarthur will be the midfield and that most of the failures against Lithuania and Slovakia will also be in the picture.

Firstly, the previous lot should be discarded as they got us into this mess, and secondly even if they are not (they wont be of course) what if they are out of form ? There are lots of Scottish league players who are in good form and would jump at the chance of a cap, several have been mentioned on this forum, but I predict there will be no new players in the squad and even worse, there will be Englishmen included to face their own country.

I know, imagine picking the best players available to you, absolute lunacy.

We need to start picking players from the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts, who get annually pumped by 3rd rate European teams (and Hamilton and Killie) I'm sure they'll be able to cope at Wembley no problem.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Of course, if you can't work it out, then you are really the stupid one yourself.

Wow, you really are crap at trolling.

Announces his retirement from the international scene, then decides he can pick and chose what games he might be available for.

What a complete farce - no way Strachan should go along with this.

Who'll be next to come out of retirement?

Graeme Souness? 

22 minutes ago, Lindsay Grant said:

Ok, I'll bite.  You seem to be advocating major changes, so let's say you're the manager now.  You have to pick a squad for the England game.  I'll make it even easier for you and just ask what your starting eleven would be for that game.  I'd love to hear what superstars you'd call up.

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Announces his retirement from the international scene, then decides he can pick and chose what games he might be available for.

What a complete farce - no way Strachan should go along with this.

Who'll be next to come out of retirement?

Graeme Souness? 

Did he though?  Sounds like Strachan made contact and asked him, which would be pretty much the opposite of what you're saying.  Doubt he would've been down at Mar Hall with a ball asking anyone if they needed an extra player like the more unbalanced at 5s.

56 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Really mixed feelings on this - on one hand, he's a better option than Bannan and Darren Fletcher, who both just aren't good enough for international football. We need better in that position.

On the other hand, he turned his back on Scotland, was horrendous last campaign and is another man who has prodigiously failed for Scotland over his career. It is a last, desperate attempt by Gordon Strachan, which is too late. He needed Brown in Slovakia and against Lithuania. Too late now.

Turned his back is being rather harsh. Last season he looked completely done and struggled to play with Celtic never mind Scotland. He went so badly downhill it looked like a career ending injury was causing it. This season he looks back to his best along with a few other Celtic players. Not saying he's good enough to select again but the one thing worth noting at Celtic is look at the difference employing a proper manager has on things. If the sfa ever get round to doing this then the turnaround might surprise a few people. 

Archived