Malaysia

Ziggy

I've just booked to go in January. It's 7 days in Penang then 3 more in Kuala Lumpar. 

Only booked it for a bit sunshine and because it was cheap so know next to nothing about the place.

Have any of you lot been?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flying out tomorrow evening from Glasgow: no itinerary yet, will be wherever herself - in all her Magyar ferocity - decrees it to be, but I think we're heading up the coast after one or two nights in KL. Will report back. If anyone's been around it, I might need some advice for places to watch England v Scotland, once I work out where I'll be for it. Is it likely to be shown in more touristy areas, given the universal appeal of pishy English fitba?

I wouldn't bother with the Petronas towers - you get a much better view from the KL tower.  It's also not so busy so you can just turn up and go, rather than having to buy tickets in advance.

Oh, and try the street food in Meng Kee Grill Fish on Jalan Alor.

The beach club cafe in KL is one of the coolest bars on the planet. Huge fish tank above the bar with 2 big sharks swimming about in it. The bar itself is also swimming with beautiful Filipino hookers. Great place.

IMG_1477635217.893827.jpg.5abd7a8995f013

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

The beach club cafe in KL is one of the coolest bars on the planet. Huge fish tank above the bar with 2 big sharks swimming about in it. The bar itself is also swimming with beautiful Filipino hookers. Great place.

IMG_1477635217.893827.jpg

The old one was better :(

In Kl go up to the sky bar in traders hotel at night for a great view of the towers whilst getting bevvied.Also the chinese market at night is a good laugh,go there and haggle and buy yourself a genuine copy fake rolex but theres also some really good food and bars there

10 hours ago, Killie Zenit said:

Flying out tomorrow evening from Glasgow: no itinerary yet, will be wherever herself - in all her Magyar ferocity - decrees it to be, but I think we're heading up the coast after one or two nights in KL. Will report back. If anyone's been around it, I might need some advice for places to watch England v Scotland, once I work out where I'll be for it. Is it likely to be shown in more touristy areas, given the universal appeal of pishy English fitba?

it will be in the early hours of the morning so you might struggle unless its on in your hotel

2 minutes ago, Eednud said:

If it's an 8pm kick-off that will be 4am in Malaysia.

Exactly,3am seems to be the closing time there,however i have found a few late night bars in kl around the train station (i watched the ryder cup in one a few weeks ago)

I was there for the F1 last month and loved it, second time in KL and its the humidity that is the killer rather than the heat.

As mentioned the PETRONAS Towers tour was shit, 45 minutes in and out as they try to make some money.

I liked the Batu caves even if they are a H&S nightmare. KL is also a city of Shopping Malls that range from the bizarre to the frankly odd - I found one with a theme park inside it complete with loop the loop rollercoaster. Aside from that its a great city with some interesting places, Chinatown I found to be disappointing compared to the night market in the Indian section of KL and I'm sure all those Man Utd tops selling at less than £5 were legit :)

It was about 5.3 to the £ in September and that was a better rate than the US$ and Euro so its a relatively cheap place to stay, my chicken curry doughnut cost less than 50p and bottled water and soft drinks shouldn't be costing more than 60p, indeed water was about 20p per 500ml bottle.

....the only thing I'd actively avoid was the National Museum, had to walk up the side of the motorway to get there and the exhibits were much cop but hey it was less than £1 to get in.

KL is pretty dull. I'd go to the helipad rather than traders if you want photos of the towers. Batu Caves are boggin' and you can pretty much do most things in the city in a day or 2 tops.

I like Penang but not sure what you can do there for a week. The bus tour is the most awful experience. I take that back I've just remembered the toy museum is worse. The food is amazing and there's enough to see and do for a couple days. Imagine you'll be staying at Batu Ferringhi?

Someone mentioned going up the coast? There's not many up the coast places to go to? Pangkor Laut is quite expensive and the east coast is best avoided this time of year. Could do worse than jump on a cheap flight to Langkawi.

Melaka is quite good, again for a day or 2. Same with ipoh.

Thanks everyone.

I'm planning on doing very little in Penang. Just looking forward to escaping the dark Scottish nights for a wee while. 

Don't know what to do in KL though. It's my wife's birthday one of the nights we're there so I'll need to find a nice restaurant.

Done 7 nights in Penang in 2014 and pretty much been covered but not a lot to do apart from chill. 

I stayed in Batu Ferringhi and the Long Beach cafe type street food place was quite simply tremendous. There's about 20 stalls ranging from Chinese to western and ice cream also. Pick what you want, give your table number and pay the person when they bring your food. 

Nowhere near fine dining but tasty and very cheap. 

Night markets also which start at 7 and runs for about a mile up the Main Street. Fake designer gear and the like. 

Plenty of water sports also on the beach. 

Some hotels run a free shuttle bus to Georgetown, the capital of the island. Interesting place to spend around 3-4 hours. The Jetty's were a good visit. 

Someone mentioned the Kek Lok Si temple above. Very surreal. Caters for 3 or 4 religions and all going on at the one time. Need to go through a market to get to it. Takes the sense of religion right out of it IMO  

Done 4 nights in KL prior to Penang and stayed in the the Traders so can highly recommend the sky bar. We went up the Peteonas but arrived at 10am and couldn't go up till 4pm which was the next available slot. Expensive and prob wouldn't recommend. 

The train from KL central to the Batu Caves takes around 30 mins. Not a bad way to spend a morning and burn several calories walking up the stairs whilst trying to avoid wild monkeys who ain't shy on having a square go with you. 

Done everything we set out to do on the first few days then spent the last day looking at a big flag pole and walking round a bird park!

I posted this yesterday but my post was lost (no great loss).

Basically I'm not going to Penang anymore, I forgot to pay the balance for the holiday and when I phoned it was gone. They let me use my desposit on other Malaysian Airlines flights so I'm now going to Phuket instead of Penang. Still having 3 days in KL.

Cut my stay in KL down to 2 nights. I'm planning on seeing the Batu caves and Petronas towers (although I'm tempted just to go up KL tower for a better view) but haven't anything else planned for certain yet.

Any must do attractions? I'll only really have one full day.

Archived