Done with F1

scottsdad

13 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Having said what I don't like about the current sport, I thought last night about what changes I would make if I were in charge. Pure wish-list stuff, this, and you might disagree. But here's my two bob's worth:

Keep

Qualifying format

Slick tyres (the grooved ones were horrible)

Bring Back

Refueling

Hard and soft compound tyres to be used by the team as and when, not this artificial 'must use both' rule.

T-cars

107% rule for qualifying times

Development and in-season testing of cars

Live races shown on free to air TV

Abandon

Fast-degrading tyres and the need to use 2 types in a race

DRS

At least 3 races a season - a maximum 17 race season, from March to October.

Punishment via grid penalties for drivers whose cars face mechanical issues.

I can't argue with any of that. I would also scrap the 5 engines rule and I know you imply it but I would also get rid of any rules regarding the amount of fuel you have to have on board. The V8 racing here have introduced refuelling, but you must still use a set amount of fuel per race.

Regarding the points system, I think extending the points system to the top 10 was a necessity given how reliable the latest F1 cars are now. The days of 5-6 cars out of 22 finishing the races are long gone. I look through driver stats when I'm bored and saw in 1997 that out of 17 races Rubens Barrichello finished a total of.....3.

That would never happen now. Even with the new system Sauber, Manor and Renault can barely score points because they aren't quick and there are hardly any retirements.

Otherwise I agree with your post. KERS was shit and DRS isn't much better. Tilke should have some competition for track design too. I'm not expecting another Spa but give us something that will live long in the memory.

I've been watching F1 since late 90's & there have been many new rules that have made the sport worse but also some beneficial.

There seem to be more boring, predictable races nowadays, but still some enticing ones in between. Continue to watch more in hope some excitement may prevail.

Cars have become too reliable, DRS at most races is too easy for the car behind to pass. I would bring back refuelling & at least another tyre company, if not 2. Also there must be some boffin genius who can work out an aero spec to increase wheel to wheel action.

There's been some good close action in the midfield over last couple of seasons but still need more for me.

Schumacher/Hakkinen period is best in my time.

To get back to more wheel to wheel racing, you need to dramatically increase mechanical grip and reduce aerodynamic grip, I.e. big sticky tyres and smaller wings. Get rid of all the stupid winglets and bits and pieces.

Then you'll be able to run at close quarters without destroying your tyres.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2016 at 19:38, drs said:

If all you are interested in is "who might win" then its not the sport for you and I would assume you are a puddle drinker. Always plenty of action and excitement further down the field.

I thought this post was about Scottish Premiership football for a second.

Archived