Amateur as good as Junior ??

Viewparker

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Larky55 said:

If their goalie keeps chucking the ball out to tightly marked defenders, they might not need anybody on the Turnstiles,H.

Great result yesterday, good luck in the next round.

Now that's true and cheers for the well wishes. :) 

Need to mention the ref yesterday and she is the best I've seen all season , blonde girl with a pony tail and she had a very good game . 

1 hour ago, Hertha/BJFC1938 said:

Yesterday's game against BSC was really interesting and I think lowland league teams play a hugely different style of football to junior teams , it's very similar to senior football with everything being played about the back four and along the deck and very patient , first half BSC looked very tidy and weren't afraid to take chances with their goalie playing it it to defenders who were very tightly marked , second half was totally different and beith totally bossed it and should have scored about 6 with their goalie being truly inspired and saving everything including a penalty until we scored deep  into injury time . 

I reckon that a top LL team like East kilbride will be as good as anyone in the juniors after seeing BSC who were a mid table LL team and also seeing EK defeating a senior team yesterday so in my opinion I would say top LL and top junior is about the same standard. 

A lot on this forum are loathe to admit it but the LL is shaping up to become the pre-eminent non-league set up over the next few years. Where that will leave the Juniors is anyone's guess. 

21 minutes ago, Shanner said:

A lot on this forum are loathe to admit it but the LL is shaping up to become the pre-eminent non-league set up over the next few years. Where that will leave the Juniors is anyone's guess. 

I tend to agree with you , so far on our Scottish senior cup run this season  we've sampled different regions of football in Newton Stewart ( South of Scotland ) Talbot ( junior league ) , strathspey ( highland league ) and now BSC ( Lowland league ) so we are sampling lots of different levels of football on the way . 

Nobody needs it explained just how  good Talbot are but outwith them BSC have impressed me most by quite a distance , LL football play in a style that is very patient and its based largely on senior football while junior teams play with a bit more aggression and its a bit more varied and it can be direct , LL is still looked down on by so many and a few  of our fans thought yesterday was only a matter of turning up which I couldn't understand as that league is of a very good standard for me . 

I appreciate the coaching of the kids mate, not really ma bug bare, but they do get grants etc because of this an the lowland league team Benefit from it, where's the grants to keep us an cumbernauld going ? We have grounds to maintain etc, it would amaze u how much money it takes a year to run a junior football club, we have to find sponsors etc all the time, but your Deffo right about the social media side of things, should b maximised more!

Other Junior clubs are free to spend the time and money required to get licensed in order to get the same level of grants as the Colts Lowland team (just like Linlithgow Rose and Girvan), no?

They don't get any more from their investment in a licence than any other licence holder does not any extra grants from their community club or quality mark then any other holder.

Not sure it's entirely rational to hold a grudge against another club in your area because they are benefiting from their long term planning, effort and investment and your own club isn't for no other reason than it's own choice not to follow that path.

That's not a criticism of United or Kilsyth in any way by the way, played at both many times and both good clubs with a good setup. Just saying you can't have your cake and eat it. If you are envious of another club benefiting from being a licence holder/Quality Mark club/Community club, do what they did and put the effort into getting all of that for yourself. They didn't get there without significant effort, not like they are handing these things out for no reason.

39 minutes ago, Hertha/BJFC1938 said:

I tend to agree with you , so far on our Scottish senior cup run this season  we've sampled different regions of football in Newton Stewart ( South of Scotland ) Talbot ( junior league ) , strathspey ( highland league ) and now BSC ( Lowland league ) so we are sampling lots of different levels of football on the way . 

Nobody needs it explained just how  good Talbot are but outwith them BSC have impressed me most by quite a distance , LL football play in a style that is very patient and its based largely on senior football while junior teams play with a bit more aggression and its a bit more varied and it can be direct , LL is still looked down on by so many and a few  of our fans thought yesterday was only a matter of turning up which I couldn't understand as that league is of a very good standard for me . 

I think people see the clubs as a bit mickey mouse in that they haven't got much history or support -  which is mostly true of course - but it blinds some to the fact there are half decent sides with good set ups and a seeming focus of player development often lacking in the Juniors. They can also offer players a chance to compete in a pyramid system which I can see being a factor in tempting talent away from the juniors in future. 

To be honest I's still be expecting the likes of Beith to take care of BSC 9/10 but there have been enough indications in the last few years that none of these teams should be treated as a bye. 

It must just be sheer luck which sees the amateur select teams regularly best junior sides in bounce games etc. Oh I forgot the juniors don't try in these games and the amateurs treat it like the world cup final.... lol

The top amateur teams are littered with players who could easily play top level junior. The main difference between good amateurs and junior players is fitness levels and dedication. The juniors are fitter and the games are at a higher tempo than most amateur games but these teams/players could adapt if they got themselves in the physical condition for it.

Oban is fairly isolated and not really nearby any semi pro team so Oban saints probably have a good catchment area so can muster a group of guys that wouldn't look out of place at junior level. Probably could get the same if you put one team for all of Kintyre or some of the larger islands. In larger populated areas the weakest junior teams would be considered amateur in most other countries and a well run amateur team probably could do better. Is there many if any current amateur clubs that have stated an ambition to move towards semi pro status or recent examples of clubs doing this?

4 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

It must just be sheer luck which sees the amateur select teams regularly best junior sides in bounce games etc. Oh I forgot the juniors don't try in these games and the amateurs treat it like the world cup final.... lol

The top amateur teams are littered with players who could easily play top level junior. The main difference between good amateurs and junior players is fitness levels and dedication. The juniors are fitter and the games are at a higher tempo than most amateur games but these teams/players could adapt if they got themselves in the physical condition for it.

If it's a friendly, which of the two managers is less likely to take it seriously? A mid-season non-competitive game is perfect chance to play fringe players and maybe give the odd trialist a spin.

I don't disagree on your second para, but half of these players have been there, done that and have opted to move on - perhaps for the reasons you outlined.

8 minutes ago, Shanner said:

I think people see the clubs as a bit mickey mouse in that they haven't got much history or support -  which is mostly true of course - but it blinds some to the fact there are half decent sides with good set ups and a seeming focus of player development often lacking in the Juniors. They can also offer players a chance to compete in a pyramid system which I can see being a factor in tempting talent away from the juniors in future. 

To be honest I's still be expecting the likes of Beith to take care of BSC 9/10 but there have been enough indications in the last few years that none of these teams should be treated as a bye. 

Good post and to gain a history you must start somewhere just like two of the most famous historical teams in the juniors in auchinleck  Talbot and cambuslang Rangers once did a long time ago , these LL teams are up there and wanting a bash at senior football through the pyramid structure and that's with hardly any fan base at all, imagine if big junior clubs got serious about entering the lowland league and how much chance they really could have of winning the LL league and playing off against the highland league winners to play the basement senior club in Scotland to enter the seniors . 

I'm quite happy where we are and I dont know if any clubs will ever be tempted but it would only take a few to get itchy feet and lots more could try and follow . 

5 minutes ago, grazza said:

Oban is fairly isolated and not really nearby any semi pro team so Oban saints probably have a good catchment area so can muster a group of guys that wouldn't look out of place at junior level. Probably could get the same if you put one team for all of Kintyre or some of the larger islands. In larger populated areas the weakest junior teams would be considered amateur in most other countries and a well run amateur team probably could do better. Is there many if any current amateur clubs that have stated an ambition to move towards semi pro status or recent examples of clubs doing this?

Not sure a combined Campbeltown / Carradale / Tarbert team would make a difference - it's more important out here to get the limited players available to play.

Professionalism is also important too when comparing levels - I'll not name the team but I saw a side last night on the way back from a game getting stuck into a large carry out of fags and booze on their bus (it was pulled over) - certainly wouldn't get the Lok side doing that. The only time I ever saw that was when we played St Cuthbert's in the Scottish Cup - half the team tabbing pre-game as they walked across the high school pitch to get to game.

Other Junior clubs are free to spend the time and money required to get licensed in order to get the same level of grants as the Colts Lowland team (just like Linlithgow Rose and Girvan), no?

They don't get any more from their investment in a licence than any other licence holder does not any extra grants from their community club or quality mark then any other holder.

Not sure it's entirely rational to hold a grudge against another club in your area because they are benefiting from their long term planning, effort and investment and your own club isn't for no other reason than it's own choice not to follow that path.

That's not a criticism of United or Kilsyth in any way by the way, played at both many times and both good clubs with a good setup. Just saying you can't have your cake and eat it. If you are envious of another club benefiting from being a licence holder/Quality Mark club/Community club, do what they did and put the effort into getting all of that for yourself. They didn't get there without significant effort, not like they are handing these things out for no reason.

I'm certainly not envious of them gaz,give me duncansfield any day of the week to that big plastic castle that is Broadwood, coldest ground on the planet lol, a grudge? Dunno if that's the right word for how a feel, the two local junior clubs have served the community well for years, then this lowland league comes into being an there's cumbernauld colts? A really don't see the point? Lining up more clubs like Gretna? Who were a con from the start? Another Club from Glasgow playing at alloa's Park? Absolute farce that one? Your on about licenses, ad take a club like linlithgow rose over Any club in the lowland league, a team with a good history and good following, not some of these fly by night clubs who'll not be here in a few years, there is rumours rife already about a few folding already.

1 hour ago, kilsyth ranger said:

I'm certainly not envious of them gaz,give me duncansfield any day of the week to that big plastic castle that is Broadwood, coldest ground on the planet lol, a grudge? Dunno if that's the right word for how a feel, the two local junior clubs have served the community well for years, then this lowland league comes into being an there's cumbernauld colts? A really don't see the point? Lining up more clubs like Gretna? Who were a con from the start? Another Club from Glasgow playing at alloa's Park? Absolute farce that one? Your on about licenses, ad take a club like linlithgow rose over Any club in the lowland league, a team with a good history and good following, not some of these fly by night clubs who'll not be here in a few years, there is rumours rife already about a few folding already.

Gretna were admitted to the SFL before Mileson and his silly money came along. They were a decent non-league club playing in England with a decent ground. They could easily have sustained SFL football in the lower tiers - look at Annan. It wasn't until their 3rd season that they started signing players from the 1st Division to play in the 3rd. 

Gretna were admitted to the SFL before Mileson and his silly money came along. They were a decent non-league club playing in England with a decent ground. They could easily have sustained SFL football in the lower tiers - look at Annan. It wasn't until their 3rd season that they started signing players from the 1st Division to play in the 3rd. 

A stand corrected on that one mate, a didn't no they'd been accepted in before mileson's funny money, a still don't like or see the point of the lowland league lol

15 hours ago, Shanner said:

You're thinking the LL is getting stronger and stronger?

It will be interesting seeing the best players available might start choosing to play in the LL rather than the two top leagues in the Juniors West and East and clubs in the Juniors losing players to the LL especially if more clubs come down from the SPFL and new clubs with solid backing enter. Could we be seeing the beginning of the end of Junior football in the West and East regions?

24 minutes ago, CityDave said:

You're thinking the LL is getting stronger and stronger?

It will be interesting seeing the best players available might start choosing to play in the LL rather than the two top leagues in the Juniors West and East and clubs in the Juniors losing players to the LL especially if more clubs come down from the SPFL and new clubs with solid backing enter. Could we be seeing the beginning of the end of Junior football in the West and East regions?

I think it's already beginning to happen - EK full of players who if they didn't exist would be playing Junior, and some at top level (Kieran Gibbons for example).

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

I think it's already beginning to happen - EK full of players who if they didn't exist would be playing Junior, and some at top level (Kieran Gibbons for example).

:rolleyes: There needs to be a graph to show the cross over point where semi pros in the LL are on average being paid more than players in the East and West Super leagues.

Sometimes the idea of Junior football and the wagon circling over the principle reminds me of the sports and way of life the folks in the southern states of America have. Jesus, NASCAR, hunting and being a proud southern redneck. I don't see much wrong with it, its their choice. The people who run the clubs are entitled to run it the way they want and those supporters should have a say in their club's future.

But how long until the gentle persuasion of missing out on the best potential non league players to a rival equivalent league while their own is going into slow decline will convince some clubs they will be better off shifting to that league. I imagine the like of Linlithgow Rose won't move until Bo'ness go also or vis- versa. When it eventually happens it will be like dominos falling. Lowland League West/East Championship Division anyone?

Archived