Unpopular opinions - wrestling edition

DA Baracus

I'm just basing this on what I've seen.

- Terry Funk is boring and his matches are just sad
- The Rock N Roll Express looked like jakey inbreds and that they were popular is utterly mystifying no matter what they were like in the ring
- Terri was absolutely stinking. Absolute widnae
- Sable was not hot
- Ric Flair was good but no more than that
- Bret Hart > Owen Hart. By some distance
- Shite like Playboy Bunny matches, pillow fights etc are just sad and creepy
- HHH is one of the greatest of all time
- HHH > Ric Flair. By some distance
- Shane McMahon has no place wrestling and hopefully will never do so again
- The Ultimate Warrior was pish
- Big Boss Man was shite
- Honky Tonk man was fucking awful

- HBK should stay retired. He's one of the greatest of all time and doesn't need to come bad. It would tarnish his legacy a bit if he did

Edited by DA Baracus

The Stunner was a shite finisher

Cesaro is good in the ring but he's never an entertainer in a million years, and is never going to be a top guy as much as the "Section" want it. Same with Ziggler, time for people to realise some guys are just destined for the perennial mid-card 

Edge and Jeff Hardy were both way over-rated in ring performers and should have been no more than mid-carders as solo guys

I'm actually really enjoying the Braun Strowman stuff and now hope he gets a big payoff match at Mania against a top guy

Shawn Michaels wasn't a GOAT contender as people make out

The Great Khali had some entertaining matches at the start of his run as a monster heel

Big Show and Kane get some amount of stick but they are actually very decent in ring performers, and should have been protected much more as legit threats over the years...

Randy Orton has been the best performer for WWE in the last ten years

The Miz should be a top guy

Brock Lesnar is a good in ring worker and is no more likely to injure anyone than the average roster member

Lesnar vs Reigns at Mania was one of the best matches WWE have put on in the last couple of years

Bray Wyatt should be WWE champion. Best mic guy and best character in the company by a mile.

HHH should have defended the belt against Reigns at Mania and held it til dropping to a returning face Rollins

Superkicks/Boma Ye/Knee+ type finishers are the best finishers out there 

Alberto Del Rio is an excellent charismatic heel

Charlotte should be booked as an absolute monster in the woman's division, and should be squashing everyone left, right and centre (bar Sasha)

Chyna was the best ever women's champion 

Women's wrestling should be more prominent and I'm loving them headline cards now

Becky Lynch is not a looker

Nasty Boys were one of the best tag teams for in ring psychology, their matches were guaranteed great

Michael Cole is an excellent play by play announcer when left to his own devices. 

Also...I quite enjoy JBL's ramblings 

Before the pipe bomb CM Punk's run in WWE was boring as hell

The Young Bucks have more charisma than most of the current WWE roster combined 

I love AJ Styles to pieces but I'm not buying into him as the comedy bully heel

WCW were consistently better than WWE during the MNWs, and if they were backed by a real McMahon type then it would have been WWE that packed in

I like NXT as a show but as a developmental it's pish, lots of talented guys getting put through a wash and dozens of versions of the same WWE style wrestler coming out...yawn

Bob Holly is the most underrated WWE performer of the last 2 decades.

Rey Mysterio should have had a much longer run as World Champ.

Kane should have retired at least a decade ago.

WCW was far better than the WWF from 1996 to 1998.

ETA - John Cena is an all time great.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

Guest bernardblack

The build to Bryan HHH at mania and the promo was stunning.

I really don't care for a lot of Austin vs McMahon

I'm such a mark for everything Jericho does

Jericho is an all time great.

Andre The Giant was fucking awful.

Kronik were a good tag team.

DDP should have been a main eventer in WWF/WWE.

Bobby Heenan was an annoying as f**k commentator. Tony Schavione was even worse.

Pope and Josh Matthews are a great announce team.

Pope and Josh Matthews > Heenan and Schavione.

JBL was a great heel champ (The Cabinet was shit though).

Snitsky kicking the doll in to the crowd was hilarious.

Eddie Edwards is really bland.

Lashley was a great TNA champ.

Renfrew was a shite ICW champ.

Samoa Joe should be a headliner in WWE (on the main roster).

25 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Jericho is an all time great.

Andre The Giant was fucking awful.

Kronik were a good tag team.

DDP should have been a main eventer in WWF/WWE.

Bobby Heenan was an annoying as f**k commentator. Tony Schavione was even worse.

Pope and Josh Matthews are a great announce team.

Pope and Josh Matthews > Heenan and Schavione.

JBL was a great heel champ (The Cabinet was shit though).

Snitsky kicking the doll in to the crowd was hilarious.

Eddie Edwards is really bland.

Lashley was a great TNA champ.

Renfrew was a shite ICW champ.

Samoa Joe should be a headliner in WWE (on the main roster).

I agree with most of this but I'd slap the taste out of your mouth for being disparaging about Heenan. :lol:

Edited by djchapsticks

Rick Rude should have had a long, long run as a heel WWF champion. 

Ditto Mr. Perfect. 

Warrior's promos, despite being batshit in their content were immensely entertaining. 

Sting has never done anything for me either in surfer or crow guise. 

Painting your face and calling yourself a charismatic enigma does not equal charisma. Jeff Hardy is not charismatic. 

Undertaker's entrances, especially at Mainas, are the fastest way to get me to hit fast forward. 

Chris Renfrew is the absolute shits. Crap gimmick, crap character, crap performer. 

Vince Russo was actually brilliant at what he did in that era, in that time and with the correct filter to trim off his shitey ideas. He gets a lot of abuse as he had that filter in Vince McMahon removed. 

Beth Phoenix is legitimately tidy. So is Molly Holly. 

Miss Elizabeth is the most stunning looking woman ever to be involved in wrestling. Stacy Kiebler is second. 

Edited by djchapsticks

3 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Owen Hart was never going to be the champion. His chance had been and gone.

Agreed. He had pretty much been suggesting that he was happy to see out the last 12-18 months of his contract and go home to be a dad and hubby whilst training others, so he wasn't going to get back to that fold,I don't think.  But it doesn't mean he shouldn't have been the champ at least once a few years before.  

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed. He had pretty much been suggesting that he was happy to see out the last 12-18 months of his contract and go home to be a dad and hubby whilst training others, so he wasn't going to get back to that fold,I don't think.  But it doesn't mean he shouldn't have been the champ at least once a few years before.  

Yup. Had chances in 1996 and 1997 to pull the trigger. Especially with some of the decisions they were making with the title in that latter year.

3 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Yup. Had chances in 1996 and 1997 to pull the trigger. Especially with some of the decisions they were making with the title in that latter year.

1994 was certainly his time for me. He was also booked horribly after the screwjob in late 97. He was so over with the fans at that point and rather than book him as a legitimate unhinged threat to both Michaels and HHH who would hit and run, they had him constantly punched in the gonads by Chyna and made to look like a whiny loser on the end.