Motherwell vs Inverness Caledonian Thistle ||| 26/10/16

Where to start with that last night? It was highly reminiscent of the "end of days" for Gannon, Barraclough or McCall in the way that the team looked badly prepared, the players were generally hiding and the team selection was (to me) a bit baffling. As soon as I saw the line-up on twitter before the game, my first thought was "who's going to create the chances?" and so it turned out - zero creativity and as soon as we gave away our mandatory soft goal, it was game over as we didn't have the guile to bother ICT. I've not seen or heard McGhee's comments from last night but I'd hope (although don't expect) that it would be a mea culpa as this is his team and it is going backwards.

Also - I'm not one to pick on individual players but I'm yet to see what Bowman brings to the team that we didn't have already - and that matters given that we paid a transfer fee for him. I hope over time as he settles in that he comes good but I've been unimpressed so far.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd agree about the Moult/Bowman situation. Slinging Moult out wide left has totally nullified any goal scoring threat. Bowman wins his fair share of headers but there is absolutely no cohesion with anyone else up there.

When he was on the by-line last night right in front of me I have never seen anyone look less likely to take a man on and do something productive. Looked totally bewildered.

Just now, Swello said:

Also - I'm not one to pick on individual players but I'm yet to see what Bowman brings to the team that we didn't have already - and that matters given that we paid a transfer fee for him. I hope over time as he settles in that he comes good but I've been unimpressed so far.

Yep. I understand the idea of trying to play him into some form or whatever, but half an hour against Accies aside, he's been fucking brutal. Shudder to think what we actually paid for him. Him and Moult are far too similar in their play, for me, so playing both of them is hampering both of their play. At one point we had Moult picking the ball up at left back, get that absolutely to f**k. You're a centre forward, go and play at centre forward. 

McManus and Heneghan launching the ball at Bowman and Moult for an hour?

giphy.gif

Get that in the bin.

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

McManus and Heneghan launching the ball at Bowman and Moult for an hour?

giphy.gif

Get that in the bin.

Yep - last night wasn't just the worst I've seen for a while, it was by far the most *boring* - the crowd were in a coma by half time. I've never liked long ball stuff but when McDonald is dropped, no-one seems capable of linking things up...

Yep - last night wasn't just the worst I've seen for a while, it was by far the most *boring* - the crowd were in a coma by half time. I've never liked long ball stuff but when McDonald is dropped, no-one seems capable of linking things up...

With McManus/Heneghan we might as well set a fucking artillery cannon at centre back. It's got about the same amount of mobility, and would have the same result of blasting the fucking ball 60 yards to fucking no one.

Last night I thought Cadden and Tait were ok. Cadden looks like the only one in midfield capable of bringing the team forward.

What pleases me these days the most is the complete turnaround from last season under Hughes where we always looked like conceding with 5 minutes or less to go.  Under Foran the players seem to always want to score right at the death.

Very refreshing to see.

To be fair to McManus and Henghan, anytime they looked up last night there was no one coming short showing for the ball and whenever Lasley or Clay got on the ball it inevitably went either sideways or backwards before returning to the two of them so they rarely had any option other than to launch it in the vague direction of Bowman/Moult. Suppose that's what happens when you sign about 6 defensive midfielders, not since Lawson and Carswell started against Albion Rovers have I seen a midfield pairing so shite scared of passing the forwards.

We've fucked it, I made the point in the Motherwell thread last week but our squad's is a mess at the minute. We have about 5 defensive midfielders, 7 strikers and yet no left wingers. Which is how you end up in that misshapen mess we were in last night with no pace, no width and no creativity. Felt sorry for Bowman, playing up top on his own and getting aimless 50 yard balls shelled in his direction is never gonna get the best out of him, it also marginalizes our top scorer Moult as he ended up being stuck out wide to accommodate Bowman. It's like the Chris Porter/John Sutton scenario from McGhee's first spell in charge all over again.

The lack of pace and creativity in our team is frightening, we haven't replaced Pearson or Johnson and failure to do so has left us slow, lacking energy, creativity and just generally shit to watch as well as easy beat at the minute. It was startling to see even McGhee admit we were diabolical in the 2nd half and that even he, as our manager, didn't think there was any way back for us after they scored.

Just about the whole team was rank rotten, with McManus probably the worst of the lot. Tait and Cadden were two of the better performers and I felt young McMillan done well in the circumstances at left back. Maclean was poor though and struggled to make an impact, however I'd exempt the youngsters from too much criticism anyway given the utter shambolic nature of the performance. 

I'm not one of the furious 'MCGHEE OOT' brigade over on Steelmen but that's now 1 win in 10 games and 3 defeats on the bounce, we've conceded 8 goals in those 3 games and wouldn't have scored any if it wasn't for a Faddy free kick in the dying seconds against Hearts. We just don't look like scoring at the minute and are still always liable to chuck a few in down the other end.  McGhee's been down a hole several times before in his Motherwell career including last season and has always managed to dig himself out of it so I'm not panicking yet, however last night was the first time this season where I've thought we could be in bother in terms of relegation.

Massive couple of games coming up, McGhee needs a couple of results or we could be on the lookout for our third manager in three seasons.

28 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

What pleases me these days the most is the complete turnaround from last season under Hughes where we always looked like conceding with 5 minutes or less to go.  Under Foran the players seem to always want to score right at the death.

Very refreshing to see.

Six goals already scored in the last fifteen minutes of games. We've conceded four right enough but they don't appear to have been as costly as some of the ones from last season which probably saw us drop around 15 points.

Last night was our first clean sheet of the season but our defence has been much improved. In the first three games of the league season we conceded ten goals; in the eight games since then we've conceded eight, with Celtic the only side to score more than one against us. The introduction of Brad McKay has given us some balance, Tremarco and Warren have shown improved form and Meekings return from injury have all contributed to that.

Foran is a rookie and it's too early to really judge him but I think last nights game was a triumph for him. He set the team out to retain shape, we had Polworth who tucked in in one of the wide positions which allowed McKay to get forward. First half we were solid, unadventurous really, but in the second we used where we were string to create chances and scored.

The point about late goals is a good one as well - Foran set his stall out early in his time in charge when he three on attacking players and chased the three points against St Johnstone. That was a really brave decision, we had lost our opening three games, had just been pegged back but he went with it and it paid off. Towards the end of Hughes' time there was a negativity about our play and ethos that I think lead to us dropping deeper and ending up losing important goals late.

No pace.  No creativity.  No talent.  There's just nothing there. 

I've been very much behind McGhee and would defend him against the Steelmen Online nutjobs, but you can't possibly defend last night's performance.  

The line-up itself seemed ok, but to then have nobody on the left?  The players themselves looked absolutely clueless as to what they were supposed to be doing on the pitch.

I said to my mate just after Inverness scored, that we'll bring on McDonald around the hour mark, and then it'll be McFadden followed by Ainsworth.  Everything just seems so predictable, so lazy, and it achieves absolutely hee-haw.

Big improvement required.  We've got two huge games coming up before the next International break, and two defeats will leave us properly in shit street.  If we get cut adrift at the bottom, then as Dundee Utd showed last season, it's not likely you'll get yourself out of it. 

He's very much become a forgotten man but yesterday was a game we could've done with a Dom Thomas, someone willing to show for the ball in wide areas and try take a player on/make things happen. He still would've had to get himself behind Lasley or Clay though to receive a pass off them.

9 minutes ago, ShireWell said:

He's very much become a forgotten man but yesterday was a game we could've done with a Dom Thomas, someone willing to show for the ball in wide areas and try take a player on/make things happen. He still would've had to get himself behind Lasley or Clay though to receive a pass off them.

He's certainly not forgotten.

All of us remember him getting hooked after an hour against non-league East Stirlingshire, after failing to do anything of note. 

All of us remember Dom Thomas' Motherwell career has delivered the grand total of 1 assist and zero goals.

Despite the problems we have a the moment, Dom Thomas is 100% not the answer.  

18 minutes ago, ShireWell said:

Wit?!

Last time we saw Dom Thomas he was literally playing against part time footballers and looked an absolute mile out his depth. Tbh at this rate I think he'll end up playing part time himself in 2 or 3 years.

3 hours ago, ONeils40yarder said:

I struggled to get enthused about this game all day yesterday ... against an ICT team who aren't particularly good to watch either, nor do they bring any sort of fanbase to at least help create a bit of atmosphere. Really, its as close as I've came to not bothering attending even with my season ticket in my hand.

Anyway, onto the game, it was fucking shite from start to finish. In my opinion ICT were no better than us...

You were not going to go and watch your team because of how many fans are in the opposition stand?
Ohhkaaaaaay!
While our numbers were not great last night it's more than 'well take to Inverness for a midweek game and I really couldn't care how many opposition fans travel, and if they do, all the best to them.

"ICT were not better than us..."
Aye the first half sure, agreed.  The 2nd half we were 3 goals better.  And the rest.

I never read the rest of your drivel.
Still as long as you amused yourself eh.

Balloon.

Archived