Motherwell vs Inverness Caledonian Thistle ||| 26/10/16

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Changes need made in my humble opinion and one change, as I seen my a fellow fan on Twitter, should be, play 2 up top.

For me:

OFW

Raven, McKay, Warren, Tremarco

Doran, Draper, Polworth, King

Doumbouya and Fisher.

As mentioned above, we need to start WINNING games instead of scraping draws and a win here consolidates our place in top 6 plus gets us away from Motherwell.

I feel that, whoever gets picked up top needs a strike partner plus the deliveries into the box.

I reckon another draw here, 1-1.

Our recent record against ICT at Fir Park is pretty dismal. The league game last season they ran over the top of us on the midfield without Lasley there and served as a reminder that playing Ainsworth and Johnson together in a 442 was a bad idea. The cup game was part of our 2 game flirtation with 4231, playing McDonald as a lone striker in an attempt to match them up on account of McGhee's weird reverence for Hughes and his apparent tactical genius. Oddly our results up in Inverness were decent last season, certainly compared to the shambles at FP.

I've no idea how this will go. We've no real form to speak of, our 2 wins are against teams we'd expect to beat, we've drawn against sides roughly around us in the league and 2 of the losses have been away from home at Parkhead and conceding in the last minute at Ibrox. The St Johnstone performance was disappointing but notable that their winner came from Samson literally dropping the ball at MacLean's feet and we shot ourselves in the foot to let Hearts go 1-0 up the other week.

With injuries and departures we don't really have a settled XI or shape. Other than 35 mins against Accies the 433 with Moult, Bowman and McDonald has looked an awkward fit while McGhee throwing some of the u20s in and them acquitting themselves well probably adds more questions to what our best side actually is.

I'd imagine that Samson will continue in goal but beyond that who knows? Even if Hammell is fit I'd be inclined to start McMillan ahead of him and in lieu of a natural left sided midfielder MacLean seems as good an option as any to slot in there, certainly moreso than having McDonald or Moult dropping in to play left mid.

Samson
Tait Heneghan McManus McMillan
Cadden Lasley Clay
McDonald Moult MacLean

Wouldn't be totally surprised by a draw here though really it's a game we should be aiming to win.

9 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

Changes need made in my humble opinion and one change, as I seen my a fellow fan on Twitter, should be, play 2 up top.

For me:

OFW

Doumbouya and Fisher.

You'd drop Meekings?

giphy.gif

I agree with Shaun that we should give two up top a go but probably at home rather than away. Vigurs needs dropped for this one and I'd go with Doran and King out wide with Mulraney coming on later. Craig Samson must be about 50 so we should be shooting on sight.

Two up front simply does not appear to be in Foran's thinking - but then again gawd knows what is ? You do not need two when you have two wide men and Doran and King would be my certs. But Foran is quite clearly (and stoopidly) trying to prove a point with Doumbouya.

Is Tansey available ? He is the one who is really doing my nut in. Why is he being allowed to drop so feckin deep. I would actually prefer Vigurs in that role.

11 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

For me:

OFW

Doumbouya and Fisher.

In principle I quite like this idea, except for the fact that I don't really see Fisher and Doumbouya - or any combination of our three strikers - working particularly well as a partnership. Oh for a Foran / Rooney or Wyness / Ritchie-type combination. Prorbably worth a go though. The other big risk with playing 4-4-2 is the danger of being overrun in the centre of midfield, unless at least one of the strikers has the engine and discipline to come deeper when required. Still, if I was going to go with just two in the centre of midfield, then it would be Draper and Polworth, as they have most energy. Might miss Tansey's passing, although he's not been great this season. We wouldn't miss Vigurs. I don't get your defence, though - why not Mckay at RB and Meekings in the centre with Warren?   

I do wonder if the whole 4-4-1-1 thing has run it's course but I wonder if we'd be more suited to a proper 4-3-3.  Doumbouya (despite his goal) was abysmal yesterday and awfully prone to going down like a sack of spuds and I don't know what Fisher has to do to get a game.  I think the two of them are too similar to play as a partnership though.  Boden may be another option but he's looked poor since signing.  Doran must surely be due a start as well, while Polworth looks a hundred times better in the middle.

The last home game against Hearts could have turned out differently if their keeper hadn't made a wonder save in the first half.
Hopefully an early goal could settle us and go on to get 3 points.

In my head, I believed we were playing Ross County on Wednesday and Inverness on Saturday.  The things you learn on a Monday morning, eh?

Anyway, I predict it'll be a dull 0-0 and it'll be fucking freezing.  

7 minutes ago, Desp said:

In my head, I believed we were playing Ross County on Wednesday and Inverness on Saturday.  The things you learn on a Monday morning, eh?

Anyway, I predict it'll be a dull 0-0 and it'll be fucking freezing.  

A 0-0? With Samson in goals? That's optimistic.

On 22/10/2016 at 19:59, Stephen Malkmus said:

Hopefully we will consolidate our place in the top six here. Pretty miraculous that we are in such a position having won only two of ten games thus far.

Says a lot about the standard of football in this country at the moment. 

Archived