Raith v Queens (4th v 3rd) Alba Live 29th October @ 1715 hours.

What's everyone's predictions for this game after Raith won at Falkirk 4-2 and Queens lost a second game in a row, 1-0 at Ayr? Also, Queens have not scored for 6 games in regulation time.

I'll let my heart rule my head and say 2-1 to Queens.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Mark Stewart to start this game and get another goal or 2.

Like I said back when we played Queens down at Pamerston, they were a one-man team and it's pretty evident now.

3-1 Raith. Stewart, M'Voto and Johnston with the goals. Dobbie with theirs..

Sure it is

3 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Like I said back when we played Queens down at Pamerston, they were a one-man team and it's pretty evident now.

I'm afraid that's largely true.

In fairness, we're currently depleted by injury.  Even at full strength though, we're really quite ordinary apart from one guy. 

When it's not happening for him; it's not happening.

This would be a terrific game for us to win.  I really can't see it though and would anticipate another defeat.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm afraid that's largely true.

In fairness, we're currently depleted by injury.  Even at full strength though, we're really quite ordinary apart from one guy. 

When it's not happening for him; it's not happening.

This would be a terrific game for us to win.  I really can't see it though and would anticipate another defeat.

Thats kind of true, but Im not sure that makes us a one man team. 

Lyle has been a big miss

Just now, Mr X said:

Thats kind of true, but Im not sure that makes us a one man team. 

Lyle has been a big miss

Lyle has been a huge miss.  I've no doubt that Dobbie's early effectiveness had something to do with who he was playing alongside.

However, I do think that our squad is at best, workmanlike.  There's very little else to get excited about anywhere on the park.  The fact that there's been anxiety about Jacobs' fitness says it all. 

I got as carried away as anyone at the start because it appeared so effortless for Dobbie that it seemed we could expect it from him every weekend.  That was probably never fair or realistic, but in his brilliant best's absence, we've got a poorish side at this level.

Should he rediscover his mojo, should our injury list start to look better and should Carmichael provide what we're praying for, then maybe we can still have a good season.  

Right now though, there's no doubt as to the direction it's heading in.

I wouldnt disagree that the rest of the team is workmanlike. Every team needs an element of that and every team needs someone like Jacobs to break up play and win back possession.

Im not convinced the team is "poorish". If we were missing just Dobbie, but everyone else was fit, I think we would be fine. Obviously, though, Dobbie adds that bit of extra quality to the side.

22 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Im not convinced the team is "poorish". If we were missing just Dobbie, but everyone else was fit, I think we would be fine. Obviously, though, Dobbie adds that bit of extra quality to the side.

I'm genuinely not sure about that.

I take it you saw the Stenhousemuir game at home in the League Cup?

I can't help feeling that's where we're at without him.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I did see that game. I also saw the comfortable wins over Queens Park and Airdrie, the draw with Dundee Utd and the unlucky defeat to Partick

13 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I did see that game. I also saw the comfortable wins over Queens Park and Airdrie, the draw with Dundee Utd and the unlucky defeat to Partick

Yes, fair point.  I saw some of them too.

I just think that we won some early games like the Falkirk one, by virtue simply of the things that Dobbie, and nobody else, can do.  

That's great and I don't go along with a line that says it gave us a false league position. I do think however that it gave us a flimsy one, which is what we're now seeing.  

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, fair point.  I saw some of them too.

I just think that we won some early games like the Falkirk one, by virtue simply of the things that Dobbie, and nobody else, can do.  

That's great and I don't go along with a line that says it gave us a false league position. I do think however that it gave us a flimsy one, which is what we're now seeing.  

I wouldnt disagree with any of that. Most, reasonable, fans admitted at the time that we would only stay near the  top of the league if we had a bit of luck with injuries. Clearly we havent and we're seeing the effects of that now.

How much of our recent form is down to Dobbies personal dip and how much is down to the loss of other players is clearly up for debate. Personally, I'd say its a little of both.

I dont think that makes us a one man team

21 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

17 minutes ago, Mr X said:

This. Dobbie lifted us from a decent mid-table side to a playoff contender and even to league leaders with a run of form which was ably assisted by Lyle in particular but also Hilson (and indeed Hamill who was a miss today with his set piece delivery and crossing from wide). Stenny was an awful performance but it's not really fair to use it to judge the pre-Dobbie team any more than the other games Mr X mentions. I tend to agree with the suggestion that without Dobbie and with everyone else fit we'd be ok. Not great and we might miss the playoffs, but not in any particular trouble either, and certainly not "Stenhousemuir in the cup" bad.

Lyle will be back in a week or two, Hamill probably before that, and whilst HIlson's clearly got a longer term issue, Carmichael's return should alleviate that a little presuming he can get anywhere near the form he had before he left.

8 minutes ago, RUSTY1111 said:

Definitely missing Lyle and Hilson and I reckon Hamill would have been better playing with his set piece deliveries but also injured. Brownlie at right back just didn't work.

Brownlie had a very good game. He played far better than any of his previous outings at full back. He even burst forward up the line a couple of times and made the by-line once. He showed an ability to play well there that actually makes me think we're better covered at right back than I thought we were. But he clearly doesn't have remotely the same ability to deliver a cross that Hamill does. We definitely missed something in an attacking sense from hamill's absence and I hope he's back next week (which would give the manager a difficult question at centre back but that's a better problem to have). To suggest Brownlie at right back "didn't work" though is nonsense.

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This. Dobbie lifted us from a decent mid-table side to a playoff contender and even to league leaders...

I'm not convinced that we're mid-table without an in-form Dobbie.

I see that team as bottom half strugglers.  

When he's firing though, which depends to a degree on able assistance, we're capable of being something altogether different.

Brownlie had a very good game. He played far better than any of his previous outings at full back. He even burst forward up the line a couple of times and made the by-line once. He showed an ability to play well there that actually makes me think we're better covered at right back than I thought we were. But he clearly doesn't have remotely the same ability to deliver a cross that Hamill does. We definitely missed something in an attacking sense from hamill's absence and I hope he's back next week (which would give the manager a difficult question at centre back but that's a better problem to have). To suggest Brownlie at right back "didn't work" though is nonsense.

I suppose to concede that Brownie was decent enough but I suppose I was trying to compare him to Hamill in the same position which is a bit unfair.

50 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Have to say I was one of those not convinced by Brownlie. He was clearly raw but I thought he was playing at a level above his ability. He`s been excellent this season and huge credit to him for that.

Archived