Civ 6 - £10 more if you buy via Steam

BallochSonsFan

Was toying with the idea of buying Civ 6 but I didnt bother ordering it. I was happy enough to buy it via Steam rather than buying a physical copy of the game.

Amazon are selling a physical copy delivered for £39.99. Steam is £49.99 to download.

How can it cost £10 less for a retailer to send me a physical copy of a game than for me to download it? Garbage way to treat customers.

Probably because people see digital games as a convenience (no trip to the shops, no parking, no standing in queues, no having to get dressed) and thus the developers have twigged that they can charge a premium for this.

That being said, I'll never buy a digital download unless it's heavily discounted. I'd go for a physical copy every time.

It annoys me, but I always buy digital now especially on PS4. For the sake of an extra tenner, if it saves me from getting up and swapping discs about it's money well spent. But yeah, completely agree with the OP. The other consideration is that there is no trade in value on a digital download either.

I'd guess it's not so much Steam gouging customers than Amazon taking a loss in order to increase traffic, and probably pick up ancillary orders as a by-product.

The retail version probably just contains the Steam client installer anyway  :P

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'd guess it's not so much Steam gouging customers than Amazon taking a loss in order to increase traffic, and probably pick up ancillary orders as a by-product.

The retail version probably just contains the Steam client installer anyway  :P

I'd say it's definitely Steam giving customers the shaft. I can't recall any standard,non-limited or special edition, or expansion packed PC game ever being £50 brand new outside of the Flight Simulator series.

The dearest I've seen has been about £40 for the likes of Sims 4 and GTA V, average at around £25-£30

14 hours ago, placidcasual said:

It annoys me, but I always buy digital now especially on PS4. For the sake of an extra tenner, if it saves me from getting up and swapping discs about it's money well spent. But yeah, completely agree with the OP. The other consideration is that there is no trade in value on a digital download either.

Generally the PSN is horrendous value for new digital games. I'd much rather pre order with Amazon and get the game on the day of release. I'm past the age of needing to play at midnight of the day of release!

18 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd say it's definitely Steam giving customers the shaft. I can't recall any standard,non-limited or special edition, or expansion packed PC game ever being £50 brand new outside of the Flight Simulator series.

The dearest I've seen has been about £40 for the likes of Sims 4 and GTA V, average at around £25-£30

IIRC, Steam don't set the prices though - it's down to the distributor. You can blame 2K for the price there. Wonder if they're taking advantage of the pound's weakness to increase the price to numerical parity with the dollar or euro.

Seems to be £39.99 on GreenManGaming for the non-physical version, for anyone who doesn't want to wait for it to arrive through the post. Looks like they've done away with their cracking discount codes though - boo!  :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2016 at 08:47, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I'll have to upgrade my PC before I can play Civ 6... in the meantime, I'll have to amuse myself with Civ 4 (Civ 5 was a bit shite). 

Do elaborate? I thoroughly enjoyed Civ 5. Expansions weren't the best but the core game was good I thought.

Been playing Civ 6 a fair amount since it came out. I think it's great, a few new mechanics which caught me off guard in my first game but a bit of research later, I now know what I'm doing.

5 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

Do elaborate? I thoroughly enjoyed Civ 5. Expansions weren't the best but the core game was good I thought.

Been playing Civ 6 a fair amount since it came out. I think it's great, a few new mechanics which caught me off guard in my first game but a bit of research later, I now know what I'm doing.

Perhaps shite was a bit too strong. Obviously the graphics were much better in Civ 5 and I liked some of the stuff they added like city states and the policy trees. 

But for me, Civ 4 (Beyond the Sword) was pretty much the pinnacle of Civ because it had taken them 15 years to get it just right. With Civ 5, they started from scratched with hexes and one unit per tile, and for me, it didn't really work. The AI couldn't really get to grips with it... and sometimes, the entire map was filled with units (the so-called carpet of doom, of course Civ 4 you could just pile infinite units onto a single square, the so-called stack of doom). 

Civ 5 was a step backwards. Diplomacy was pish, you couldn't trade technologies and the whole 1 unit per tile thing was annoying. Some of that has been addressed with Civ 6. I really like districts now I'm used to them after a couple of games. I like the idea of civics too. Unfortunately diplomacy is still batshit mental and other civs are serious warmongers early in the game. Really annoying when you're trying to expand a couple of cities and without warning you get a random unprovoked war declaration by some civ with massive amounts of shite units.

They need to tweak how aggressive rival civs are early in the game.

51 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Civ 5 was a step backwards. Diplomacy was pish, you couldn't trade technologies and the whole 1 unit per tile thing was annoying. Some of that has been addressed with Civ 6. I really like districts now I'm used to them after a couple of games. I like the idea of civics too. Unfortunately diplomacy is still batshit mental and other civs are serious warmongers early in the game. Really annoying when you're trying to expand a couple of cities and without warning you get a random unprovoked war declaration by some civ with massive amounts of shite units.

They need to tweak how aggressive rival civs are early in the game.

I didn't mind the one unit per tile, I do like what they've done with builders though for civ 6. The 3 uses then they disappear is good.

Agree about the over aggression. I suppose small balance problems are excusable at the very start though.

Apparently another problem is that all the maps other than Pangea are unbalanced as one civ can be completely isolated away from all the warmongers resulting in a snowball win with ease.

Edited by Mr Hahn

• 6 years later...

This is currently about £12 on Steam, with a lot of DLCs, FWIW.

Started playing last night as Scotland (obvs). As always, literally no idea what im doing, but having great fun.