Airdrieonians vs Q.P.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Cooper81 said:

Russell to step up to mark with double and airdrie to win 4-1 and the best performance of the season.

Some people said i must have got lucky when i predicted we would beat Alloa. Did i get lucky again then haha. Had Russell to score first at 4/1 and also had airdrie win 4-1 35/1. Good days work :-)

What a difference a week makes. QP were pretty poor but we were excellent. The fact that we were ahead for most of the game gave the team confidence and we played some excellent stuff. Russell takes an excellent penalty and Ryan was outstanding. Conroy and Leitch controlled the midfield and even Daniel looked reasonable as the game went on. Only bad point was Schmidt getting sent off in an idiotic manner. With a small pool we can't afford that sort of thing.

One quite interesting aside was the substituted players making a point of greeting McBride went they went off. Maybe a sign that they sympathise with what is happening to him?

50 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

Some people said i must have got lucky when i predicted we would beat Alloa. Did i get lucky again then haha. Had Russell to score first at 4/1 and also had airdrie win 4-1 35/1. Good days work :-)

A broken clock is right twice a day.

www.bookmakerhindsight.com must have taken a fair pounding today.

Referee and 3rd goal killed it. At 2-1 we still looked as though we could have come away with something but heads went down and the second half was a non event with a series of hoofs poor passing and being muscled off the ball.
Painful to watch in the second half further exasperated by £16 entry plus £2 parking .
Need to forget this and give Stennie a doing next week please .

Another foul on Ryan, another penalty for Airdrie, another goal for Russell, 28 minutes.  This is bizarre. Three penalties in the first half hour is just weird - anyone at the game enlighten us?  Were they are all legit penalties? 

Queen's Park penalty was of the very soft variety. Looked from my seat that both players were leaning into each other and one feel over. Reckon the ref was simply trying to make amends for the stonewaller that he failed to give them earlier when Boateng brought the man down.

Queen's Park penalty was of the very soft variety. Looked from my seat that both players were leaning into each other and one feel over. Reckon the ref was simply trying to make amends for the stonewaller that he failed to give them earlier when Boateng brought the man down.

It was right in line as to where I sit. It was stone wall penalty all day long!

3 hours ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

:lol: Three penalties to Airdrie in one game! These Sevco links are obviously doing us some good. 

I don't quite get the Sevco comment; If you mean the current Airdrie rose from a liquidated company, it does not follow that penalties are part of the new arrangement. If you mean we are somehow connected to the restored Rangers F.C where is your evidence? Or was it just the old joke that when Rangers were reported as winning 1-0 most people asked who had scored the penalty? Anyway it was a much better all round performance as a team especially after Russell made the error that led to their penalty equalizer. I don't think I have ever seen a game where nearly every challenge in the box might well have been a penalty, nor 4 in one game.

Good win and performance today against a poor Queens Park side. Much better than last week. Leitch, Conroy and even Fitzpatrick all played well in the middle of the park with some nice passing and we managed to keep hold of the ball for decent periods. Front 2 also played well but I thought Stewart was a deserved man of the match. I thought the ref got most of the penalty calls correct although I do think there's was soft and probably given because of the stonewaller he didn't a few minutes earlier.

Not sure what happened just before Schmidt's moment of madness but he deserved to be sent off for his crazy reaction. 

Bizarre game. We started well, but completely lost the heid after the second Airdrie penalty.

No doubt they were the better team, but the decision for the second penalty changed the complection of the game. Don't need to see a replay to know that McGeever won the ball. Can maybe understand the ref giving it from behind the play, but it was right in front of the linesman.

No excuses for the third goal. It killed the game and the second half was a non event. A typically shite day for us at New Broomfield.

I can't see how this photo is supposed to contradict the last post.   He had cleared the ball by this point, was there first and had every right to play the ball.

These decisions are painful but it's part of the game.   Also the handball was a handball, but hard to take - I'd like to see a replay to see how much intent there was. Having said that we were just not good enough today.   It's going to be a long season as I don't see us solving our goal-threat problem any time soon.  Millen I think is becoming our most consistent player along with Cummins.

I haven't seen Brechin this season, but Airdrie to me are the best footballing side of the rest.

20 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

I can't see how this photo is supposed to contradict the last post.   He had cleared the ball by this point, was there first and had every right to play the ball.

Actually, you know what? You're right.

From where I was sitting it looked like a stonewaller at the time, and it looked like that photo confirmed it. But I've just looked at the footage, and he did clearly play the ball before Ryan's momentum took him into McGeever. Fair doos, I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.

Having said that, I thought the first one was soft at the time, but looking at the footage it wasn't - the defender deliberately left his foot in. The QP penalty was a shoulder challenge - down to the ref's discretion, but I seriously doubt he'd have given a free kick for that anywhere else on the pitch.

It's all conjecture anyway - they were all given and they were all scored. Ref's decisions notwithstanding, I thought the best team won.

Archived