Nintendo Switch

bunglebonce

12 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I was pretty hyped and now a bit deflated.  I pre-ordered one this morning for the sake of it but will probably cancel it at some point.

So far it seems like a terrible launch. Overpriced with very few games, in fact no standout exclusive games.  Zelda is being released on the Wii U on the same day; Mario Kart 8 is a tarted up Wii U port; and Mario isn't out until nearer Christmas.  Splatoon 2 looks good, but at first glance it is essentially the Wii U game.  The lack of major third party support isn't a surprise but I want to hear a lot more indie titles announced.

32Gb storage is taking the piss on a £280 console (I acknowledge that SD expandable storage is good, but that's at extra cost).  Another set of the joycon controllers will be £75!

Goodness knows if they'll bring the online services up to this decade's standard - the free trial basically covers the period where there will be next to no functionality.  Nevermind the piss-taking with giving a NES or SNES title for just one month, will there be any point in having to pay for online play if all there will be is Splatoon and Mario Kart?

The screenshot of the user interface looks sexy af.  That, and the prospect of comfortably portable Zelda and Mario Kart (see you on the supporters' bus SJB!) are the only appealing factors to me at the moment.

I skipped the Wii U so I have an appetite for this, but I'll feel like a mug if I go for it.  I feel like I should just get a used Wii U and buy Zelda and Splatoon for that.

Where did you pre-order if from. Normally, Id do it with Game so I can pick up in store on release day, but they're website says theyre not guaranteeing stock.

Its not. Skyrim wont be out until later in the year

Uhu, what games will be released from the day the console is released and until then? Skyrim is a "big catch" for this console apparently, and I don't really think it should be considered as such.

2 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Uhu, what games will be released from the day the console is released and until then? Skyrim is a "big catch" for this console apparently, and I don't really think it should be considered as such.

No idea. I dont think Nintendo are making a big deal out of Skyrim. The hype seems to be coming from Bethesda

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Where did you pre-order if from. Normally, Id do it with Game so I can pick up in store on release day, but they're website says theyre not guaranteeing stock.

The neon one from Game and the grey one from Amazon, so I can ditch one or both easily.

Nintendo have never had loads of launch titles for their consoles. I just can't get into ps4 or xbox type consoles/games so I'm all over this new nintendo console. I think it looks great and have pre ordered one.

The Wii U may have been a financial flop but there is a cracking set of games for it. I reckon the number of good games as a % must be higher than most consoles.

I have high hopes and Nintendo rarely let me down in what I want from a console so I'll go against the pie and bov grain and say I'm very much hyped and looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

The wii u was only nintendo home console i didn't have apart from NES. Tempted to make a return with this one. New mario and zelda games a must. 

Zelda does look amazing

The graphic style is a little odd though. The landscapes look quite realistic, in a Zelda-esque way, but the character models have a very cartoony, almost windwaker look.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Zelda does look amazing

The graphic style is a little odd though. The landscapes look quite realistic, in a Zelda-esque way, but the character models have a very cartoony, almost windwaker look.

Yeah feel the same, realistic twilight princess sort of surroundings but windwaker, skyward sword characters. I'm sure i'll enjoy it but wouldve preferred twilight princess style.

like the Zelda trailer and the arms and 1 2 switch games look like fun in a wii sports type way but I thought the Mario game looks brilliant! not a huge launch selection but I've pretty much talked myself into getting this now. would be nice to see Nintendo getting some reward in terms of sales for trying something different. 

Wonder how the graphics compare to a PS4 or XBox 1. It's been a massive gulf since PS2 was released.

I don't think it'll be up to that sort of standard; unless I've missed some leap in graphics in portable hardware. Saying that Zelda looks pretty neat.

I've always been of the opinion that some games are suited to handheld rather than console, and vice versa, so it'll be interesting to see what developers make of it.

As usual, their big problem will be getting a lot of 3rd party development to generate sales. If they don't they'll probably resort to regurgitating old games again. No matter how good Ocarina of Time is, there's only so many times you can flog it to the general public.

The tech isn't near Xbox One stanadard, let alone PS4.  At worst it's slightly better than the Wii U, at best it is a bridge between Wii U and Xbox One.

Better than Wii U in handheld form is a pretty good achievement.  But as it has a docked, 'home console' mode, it will always compare poorly to the PS4 and Xbox One.

It looks to have a fantastic IPS screen (even if it's 720p resolution) to view it on.  The controllers are state-of-the-art.  But post-Gamecube, Nintendo have never had equal graphical horsepower with market rivals.

I'm playing through Mario Galaxy 2 just now on an emulator, a seven year old game for the Wii.  It still looks (and plays!) fantastic.  When Nintendo get the art style right, it doesn't matter what tech is running it.  Hopefully they return to that kind of form again.

Edited by bunglebonce