Worst Scotland Performance

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

Don't think friendlies should really be counted. Invariably they have some bizarre line ups and formations, you're always going to get freak performances both good and bad. Remember we won in Germany in a friendly? :lol:

Also I think away results should always be given slightly more sympathy. Travelling time, unusual conditions, dodgy pitch... etc. Doesn't excuse them by any means, but makes them more understandable.

It's the home competitive ones that hurt the most. That's why Belarus coming to Glasgow and winning is the worst for me. Lithuania would have got it had we not scrambled in a late equaliser.

Pish. Most times the squad are there days before, get to train on the pitch and get accustomed to the conditions.

Anyway, rejoice at the state of the defending for the goal;

I was at this game. Remember absolutely nothing about it.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pish. Most times the squad are there days before, get to train on the pitch and get accustomed to the conditions.

Anyway, rejoice at the state of the defending for the goal;

I was at this game. Remember absolutely nothing about it.

So you're saying that we should treat home and away games the same...?

probably not the worst performence, but the match v Italy when Chiellini charged Hutton and got a free kick from it (which Panucci scored from) was probably one of the biggest travesties, worst performence there have been numerous,
 as stated the home defeat to Belarus was a shocker, even more so i was at that game. one that i can remember was the world cup in 78, when we were supposed to destroy peru and Iran, and get gubbed from holland. in typical scotland style we got annihilated off a cubillas inspired peru, lost the plot v iran, and decided to show the dutch we could actually play. i was a kid at the time, but the images stuck in my mind for a lifetime,. i remember the fans singing and shouting at McLeod after the iran game that they wanted their money back.

There's been plenty of shockers since I started going regularly in the 2002 World Cup campaign, but I'll stick with competitive games as we'd be here all day sifting through numerous friendlies, albeit the 0-4 in Cardiff was a horror show.

I'm looking at games I've attended and, while the Belarus home game was appalling, the win over Liechtenstein is one of the most abject showings at home I've ever seen. That we got extremely lucky with the generous amount of added time could not diminish my anger at how we played. Lithuania ran it close last month right enough and had that been Levein in charge, it would've been slaughtered a lot more than it was.

My ratio of losses to wins in away games I've attended makes for grim reading, but at least there's been some battling performances or defeats to good opposition in there. France in June was bad enough but Slovakia is comfortably the worst I have seen a Scotland team play away from home. I'd never left a Scotland match early before until that night, where I went back to the pub with 10 to go. It was so bad it was beyond feeling angry. Just depressing. 

On 11/3/2016 at 15:16, VictorMcDade said:

probably not the worst performence, but the match v Italy when Chiellini charged Hutton and got a free kick from it (which Panucci scored from) was probably one of the biggest travesties

Not this again.

Before that bad decision, Italy had already had a perfectly good goal disallowed and our offside one had been allowed to stand.

The officials had a poor game, but we were not particular victims of it.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Not this again.

Before that bad decision, Italy had already had a perfectly good goal disallowed and our offside one had been allowed to stand.

The officials had a poor game, but we were not particular victims of it.

Yep, about right. The decision itself though was horrendous. I could believe that the ref and linesman had crossed wires of some kind, as perhaps all the ref saw was the result of the 'coming together'. In much the same way no official saw Henry's handball. 

Still. Putting this game in any 'worst' category is a sacking offence. Ridiculous. It was an excellent game of football, which we more than contributed to. 

The worst performance i've seen was the 2-1 home win over Lichtenstein.

The worst performances, which I didn't even bother watching, were that 2-2 draw in the Faroes, where we were 2-0 down. 3-0 at home by Hungary, 4-0 by Wales and many other Bertie classics. I pretty much gave up under Bertie.

All the others, like the 6-0 by Holland, 5-0 by Portugal, 3-0 by Morocco, etc. were humpings by decent opposition.

It's quite difficult to pick an all time worst performance. There have been so many.

There hasn't been a memorable (in a good way) performance for a few years now. You're probably back to McLeish's time for that.

Archived