Worst Scotland Performance

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Age twelve is when your receptors for these things are at their max.

Nobody should have to check anything about a Scotland qualifying campaign from when they were around that age.

I think by around 14, the important decisions are already made regarding personal preferences.....including powerful socio-emotionally referenced things like the fitba'. Anything beyond that, such as grown adults suddenly deciding they support a certain team far down the line, are simply at it. 

I think by around 14, the important decisions are already made regarding personal preferences.....including powerful socio-emotionally referenced things like the fitba'. Anything beyond that, such as grown adults suddenly deciding they support a certain team far down the line, are simply at it. 

Do you think I've started following Scotland later in life? Is that seriously what your suggesting?

Touched a nerve, have we Daphne?

I'm suggesting nothing of the sort. I am, however, questioning the reasons/motivation for supporting a team, and Scotland in particular, not necessarily held by (only...) you, but certainly a large number of 'fans' who have latched on to the continued failure as some sort of 'leveller' among the freshly-reclaimed independent states who've been embarrassing us for the last twenty years. 

The ones i'd consider 'proper' fans, wouldn't have had to be born only when we were any good to be so, but could at least show appreciation for excellent players and teams when they watched them. From 1985 onwards, watching Scotland was everything to me, my family, near enough all my school and childhood friends, and the vast majority of the country. Obviously in 1993, a year older than me, you had better things to be doing. That's why your Strachan-apologist gash is treated with contempt. 

Given the richness of choice that is available, I'm surprised folk are including Morocco 1998 in the list of embarrassing defeats. It was definitely a huge disappointment, but if I recall correctly Morocco were well above us in the rankings at that time and a pretty decent side. If anything the embarrassment was the majority of us (myself included) writing them off before a ball was kicked without actually knowing very much about them at all. A very Scottish characteristic down the years.

On 10/21/2016 at 17:46, Dunning1874 said:

In terms of results, it's nowhere near the worst, but the undoubted worst performance was losing 2-1 at home to Wales in Strachan's first game. It's easy to disregard the game because of the circumstances of it - already as good as out after only four games making it basically meaningless, a new manager's first game in charge, leading for much of the game, only losing after going down 10 men, no one giving much of a shit - but it was genuinely stunning how bad we were. We literally only completed two passes in the first 15 minutes, that's how little possession we had and how much Wales were destroying us. We should really have been about 6-0 down by the time we took the lead.

It did have the positive outcome of Charlie Adam never playing for Scotland again, so I suppose it wasn't all bad.

Yeah that night was appalling. Seem to recall Snodgrass getting sent off, having been one of our few decent performers on the night and then getting stuck on the way home due the snow.

Just dire.

On 10/22/2016 at 11:22, Monkey Tennis said:

Age twelve is when your receptors for these things are at their max.

Nobody should have to check anything about a Scotland qualifying campaign from when they were around that age.

While I think it's a bit haughty to state it as you have done (if you have to Google it then you're a nobody), I actually agree with the 12 y/o thing. I was exactly 12 when I sprinted home from school in a record 11 mins to watch Costa Rica beating us at Italia 90. Terrible result, watched in a sweat soaked school outfit... but it was a formative moment and has remained a vivid memory ever since. That said, I can't remember where we finished in the qualifying group (2nd presumably?) - probably because i was only 11 during the qualifying process ;)

That Morocco game was my first crushing disappointment as a Scotland fan, at the age of eight.  I remember it fondly... the first of oh so many.  I know that even if we'd won, the Norway result meant it wouldn't have made a difference, but even so, it was a sickening experience. 

While I think it's a bit haughty to state it as you have done (if you have to Google it then you're a nobody), I actually agree with the 12 y/o thing. I was exactly 12 when I sprinted home from school in a record 11 mins to watch Costa Rica beating us at Italia 90. Terrible result, watched in a sweat soaked school outfit... but it was a formative moment and has remained a vivid memory ever since. That said, I can't remember where we finished in the qualifying group (2nd presumably?) - probably because i was only 11 during the qualifying process [emoji6]

I agree about the 12 year old thing too - as I can remember much more about the world cups and euros of my teenage years than those more recent.

But he was being a fanny by suggesting that I should be remembering the names of the opposing players who scudded us in a qualifier in 1993. Many of those players weren't big names at the time but instead went on to become household names.

I just remember being gutted.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I agree about the 12 year old thing too - as I can remember much more about the world cups and euros of my teenage years than those more recent.

But he was being a fanny by suggesting that I should be remembering the names of the opposing players who scudded us in a qualifier in 1993. Many of those players weren't big names at the time but instead went on to become household names.

I just remember being gutted.

Haughty can kinda be my thing at times - sorry about that.

You should have known who qualified from our group in that campaign though.

Haughty can kinda be my thing at times - sorry about that.

You should have known who qualified from our group in that campaign though.

I remember the tournaments pretty well, but not really qualifiers. I have specific memories from games (mccoist lob against Norway to get us to a tournament? Maybe Euro 92??) But I certainly can't recall these campaigns in the way that you can.

I guess this is indicative of the feeling of the time. There was a feeling that qualification would be somehow inevitable.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I remember the tournaments pretty well, but not really qualifiers. I have specific memories from games (mccoist lob against Norway to get us to a tournament? Maybe Euro 92??) But I certainly can't recall these campaigns in the way that you can.

I guess this is indicative of the feeling of the time. There was a feeling that qualification would be somehow inevitable.

The McCoist one was qualifying for Italia 90.  We only needed a point from our last three games and only scraped that solitary point in the third and final one.  I've not been to all that many Scotland games, but I was at that one, as well as the Ibrox qualifier against Portugal for '94 funnily enough.

The advantage I have for memories of these ones is that I'm older than you, but as we know, that's no advantage at all.

The very first Scotland game I watched was the 2-2 with the Faroes. Sadly things haven't got much better. The two games against Georgia and the narrow win over Liechtenstein were also embarrassing to watch.

On 20 October 2016 at 08:17, oneteaminglasgow said:

1-0 loss to Belarus at home was pretty bad from what I remember, although I was 11 at the time so that may have been amplified in my mind.

And Norway away with the Caldwells show.

On 20 October 2016 at 08:43, TheScarf said:

I was 8 when the 5-0 Portugal game happened.  I remember watching it til about 3-0 then went to bed.  Remember McCoist getting stretchered off.  

The worst for me was losing 1-0 at home to Norway in the WC2006 qualifiers.  This wasn't the Iwelumo match, think that was a few years later.

These were the two worst games i have attended. The Belarus game we were behind after maybe 2 minutes after some shocking defending and then just nowhere near coming back into the game, utter shite. I remember there being a few awful rain storms during the match and during one of them i saw a Scotland supporter take his top off and run down all the steps from near the top where he was sat and then threw his shirt down, obviously not onto the pitch as you couldn't reach that at Hampden but the feeling of disgust was obvious. I was only young myself, maybe about 19 and was with a pair of VL's who had never been to a Scotland game and it was followed by an utterly embarrassing night out in town. 

The 2006 qualifier v Norway had McFadden sent off for a handball on the line, nothing went on apart from that just another truly awful game and atmosphere and probably awful night out after I can't even remember who i was with.

This is the Portugal 5-0 match. Saw someone posted the Faroes match so thought had to do the same with this. 

What is obvious is just how the gulf between the two sides are. This must have come as a shock at the time in 1993 because Scotland were qualifying for tournaments whereas Portugal (at that stage) weren't.

Even though it is highlights just of the goals mainly, it is still extremely painful to watch. The 5th goal scored by Cadete who is set up for a close finish simply looks a masterclass in the opposites of extreme of bad and good football teams. 

It is excruciatingly bad and I don't pity anyone who doesn't want to watch it. 

Archived