Worst Scotland Performance

Aye, Scotland in the 60s eh? Baxter, Law et al!
We won heehaw with them - they spent the rest of their international careers dining out on the 3-2 Wembley friendly defeat of England in 1967.

Golden generation right enough. And yes, I know some were picked for World XIs etc etc but fact remains they couldnae qualify.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of results, it's nowhere near the worst, but the undoubted worst performance was losing 2-1 at home to Wales in Strachan's first game. It's easy to disregard the game because of the circumstances of it - already as good as out after only four games making it basically meaningless, a new manager's first game in charge, leading for much of the game, only losing after going down 10 men, no one giving much of a shit - but it was genuinely stunning how bad we were. We literally only completed two passes in the first 15 minutes, that's how little possession we had and how much Wales were destroying us. We should really have been about 6-0 down by the time we took the lead.

It did have the positive outcome of Charlie Adam never playing for Scotland again, so I suppose it wasn't all bad.

Really far too many to choose from. If it's a question of scale, you could point to the WC defeats to Costa Rica and Morocco as having a genuinely demoralising impact long-term, despite humiliations shortly before both involving Malta, Egypt, and Estonia. But after the 20 years of shite we've endured, i'd never level defeats on world stage as among the worst. 

Away performances like Lithuania, Estonia, Moldova, Belarus, Faroes, Macedonia and even Georgia, haven't only occurred to us. The heavy defeats at the hands of Wales, Slovakia, Serbia, Norway, Holland, Belgium (which was a 2-0 raping) etc, (i'm leaving out friendlies btw), are far less acceptable as a means of players simply not giving two fucks, than losing or drawing unexpectedly against crap, but motivated crap nonetheless. 

I agree with MT. Celebrating a 96th minute winner against Liechtenstein, was a low of extreme depths which has miracuculously not been surpassed quite yet by Strachan, newspaper articles notwithstanding. 

6 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

I had no problem with celebrating that win the way they did against Liechenstein. The amount of sheer relief would be enough to see a celebration like that. And any team in that same situation would probably react the same.

Nah.

It was such a shameful performance that the win gave no pleasure, not even relief; just a sense that having got out of jail, we should shuffle away and never speak of what happened again.  

The sight of Levein struggling to field his specs just compounded an evening of national sporting embarrassment.

Nah.

It was such a shameful performance that the win gave no pleasure, not even relief; just a sense that having got out of jail, we should shuffle away and never speak of what happened again.  

The sight of Levein struggling to field his specs just compounded an evening of national sporting embarrassment.

I was there and I can assure you no-one reacted like that. That win gave us the 3 points we were expected to get and I'm pretty sure gd didn't matter against them anyway.

We had dodged a bullet.

Yes by all means criticise once the dust settles - but picking up on that celebration is actually quite petty.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I was there and I can assure you no-one reacted like that. That win gave us the 3 points we were expected to get and I'm pretty sure gd didn't matter against them anyway.

We had dodged a bullet.

Yes by all means criticise once the dust settles - but picking up on that celebration is actually quite petty.

No.

I wasn't there, but watched it live on TV.  The whole thing was mortifying.

If he'd reacted with an exaggerated 'phew' type thing, that would have been acceptable.  The unbridled joy we got instead was shameful.  I know I'd have felt the same had I endured the trip to Hampden.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No.

I wasn't there, but watched it live on TV.  The whole thing was mortifying.

If he'd reacted with an exaggerated 'phew' type thing, that would have been acceptable.  The unbridled joy we got instead was shameful.  I know I'd have felt the same had I endured the trip to Hampden.

Forget arguing about these things, MT. That result, fused together with the barrage of utter shite we've seen this century, has brought a large section of Scotland supporters into line with the sort of low-ranked, unambitious, stumble-along-and-see-what-happens kinds of countries who they seem to believe are social and political allies of some sort, and this goes far deeper than simply results in the fitba'. 

Scotland winning games, has not been a priority for anyone since Craig Brown. That's a fact. 

Forget arguing about these things, MT. That result, fused together with the barrage of utter shite we've seen this century, has brought a large section of Scotland supporters into line with the sort of low-ranked, unambitious, stumble-along-and-see-what-happens kinds of countries who they seem to believe are social and political allies of some sort, and this goes far deeper than simply results in the fitba'. 

Scotland winning games, has not been a priority for anyone since Craig Brown. That's a fact. 

^^^ Doesn't know what a fact is. ^^^

^^^ Talks about teams (Portugal 92/93) without knowing f**k all about them. Rather like most subjects he talks about, actually. 

What a bizarre criticism. I was 12 when we lost to Portugal. I vaguely remember talk of a golden generation but had to search for a few details.

Probably the Costa Rica game in Italia '90 for me, as we were actually a decent side in those days, and the result was a genuine shock. Losing points to the likes of Georgia, Lithuania and Slovakia isn't a surprise these days. That's our level. 

Probably the Costa Rica game in Italia '90 for me, as we were actually a decent side in those days, and the result was a genuine shock. Losing points to the likes of Georgia, Lithuania and Slovakia isn't a surprise these days. That's our level. 

It was bad yes....but they also beat Sweden who 4 yrs later made the semi finals if I recall correctly. Losing to a qf team isn't entirely horrific...which I think Costa Rica made.....recently they did much better than our esteemed neighbours if memory serves. As for us being decent in those days.....i can remember at school everyone rushing to pe dept to see us scramble a goal in 7th min of injury time to beat a Cyprus side made up of amateurs n part timers. It seemed terrible at time but since the smith / mcleish era it's been an whirlpool of diarrhoea (aside from the Croatia games a nation who cannot beat us for some reason )

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Congratulations. I'm sure you win a prize of some sort.

You're the one bleating CONSTANTLY about SOMETHING being an excuse. If you weren't interested enough to pay attention to the likes of Couto or Futre at the time, just fucking say so. 

Archived