Worst Scotland Performance

In typical Scottish fashion, let's focus on the negatives.

I saw someone mention in the Lithuania match thread that losing that game would have been the worst result in years. There have been some absolute shockers over the years but what takes the biscuit as the worst of the lot?

I'd say either of the defeats in Georgia or the draw against the Faroes.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not the worst performance but the 5-0 against Portugal in the early 90's was a sore one.  Ally McCoist broke his leg in the match. Can vaguely remember the game but probably just from highlights.

1-0 loss to Belarus at home was pretty bad from what I remember, although I was 11 at the time so that may have been amplified in my mind.

And Norway away with the Caldwells show.

The 4-0 defeat away to Norway was the worst I remember. We were an utter shambles that night.

I was 8 when the 5-0 Portugal game happened.  I remember watching it til about 3-0 then went to bed.  Remember McCoist getting stretchered off.  

The worst for me was losing 1-0 at home to Norway in the WC2006 qualifiers.  This wasn't the Iwelumo match, think that was a few years later.

The Iwelumo match was 0-0. The 0-1 you're referring to was when McFadden was sent off for saving the ball on the line with his hands.

Anyway;

Faroe Islands 1-1 Scotland

Faroe Islands 2-2 Scotland

Scotland 2-1 Lichtenstein

Czech Republic 1-0 Scotland (4-6-0)

Wales 4-0 Scotland (2004ish I think)

Wales 3-0 Scotland (2009 I think)

Georgia 2-0 Scotland

Georgia 1-0 Scotland

Macedonia 1-0 Scotland

Lithuania 1-0 Scotland

Lithuania 0-0 Scotland

51 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Maybe not the worst performance but the 5-0 against Portugal in the early 90's was a sore one.  Ally McCoist broke his leg in the match. Can vaguely remember the game but probably just from highlights.

"highlights"? :o

yep, that 0-5 against Portugal was a really painful one...the game as one sided as a fourth round Scottish Cup tie between Celtic and Wigtown & Bladnoch.

Honorary mention for the pisspoor 0-0 draw with Estonia in "neutral" Monaco...1997 or thereabouts?

That Portugal team were shit hot though, were they not?

USA 5-1 Scotland (May 2012)

South Korea 4-1 Scotland (May 2002)

Sweden 3-0 Scotland (August 2011, Gary Kenneth ‘played’/was in the vicinity of play)

Scotland 0-3 Hungary (August 2004)

France 5-0 Scotland (Vogts first game in charge I think; pretty sure he subbed a sub)

Archived