Kirkintilloch Football history

LeeKRR1878

Adamslie Park was the original home of Kirkintilloch Harp aswell. However it would have probably looked alot different as the pavilion that, well is now gone, wasn't built until Rob Roy moved in

Seems more than one of the  present day clubs moved into the former Little Irelands team grounds according to online official histories.
Shettleston Celtic - Shettleston 
Cambuslang Hibs - Cambuslang Rangers
Irvine Celtic - Irvine Meadow

I always thought Kelvindale Park was on the site of what was later Lawson’s Bus Garage on Campsie Road – where the Lidl supermarket is now.

It was definitely beside the River Kelvin, because I recall being told that a local ‘worthy’ was allowed into the games for nothing on the understanding that he ran and got the ball each time it went out of the ground.  He also got a wee bonus of a cigarette if he had to fish the ball out of the water.

I only remember the story because apparently on one occasion he was taking ages to bring the ball back, and a couple of supporters went to hurry him up -just in time to see him kicking the ball into the Kelvin. [emoji38]

You were very close. It was across the road from Lawsons bus garage, where the bowling is now. The photograph I have attached wouldn't have been exactly the original ground. But the pitch probably was the same pitch still used as a public pitch. The factory closer in the photograph was M&C Switchgear, where McDonald's is now. My gran and papa both worked in there when they metIMG_20200704_091705.jpegIMG_20200704_091427.jpeg

• 2 years later...