Penalties

Dindeleux

It's pretty rare that a 'keeper can reach a ball that is hit firmly into one corner from a penalty. I'm always bemused by these shitey run-ups and players trying all sorts of daft shite at penalties.

Unless you're Jim McIntyre, of course.
0752051c9e4dd1bf2cf7baa351b765af.jpg

Stopping during run ups or doing anything to try and psych the keeper out during run ups doesn't work it is just plain fucking stupid. Pick a side, have a solid run up from outside the box and don't try stare the keeper out and any footballer should be able to beat any keeper 9 times out of 10.

The likelihood of receiving a penalty is quite high so it would be an idea to have your selected takers practice a few penalties a day at the end of each training session, although the pressure on the player during a game will make it a different scenario.

51 minutes ago, throbber said:

Stopping during run ups or doing anything to try and psych the keeper out during run ups doesn't work it is just plain fucking stupid. Pick a side, have a solid run up from outside the box and don't try stare the keeper out and any footballer should be able to beat any keeper 9 times out of 10.

The likelihood of receiving a penalty is quite high so it would be an idea to have your selected takers practice a few penalties a day at the end of each training session, although the pressure on the player during a game will make it a different scenario.

The argument 'you can't recreate the pressure' so no there's no point practising which I've heard a few managers say is absolute rubbish (not saying you are making this). Mainly England around the 90's. As soon as you take that attitude you may as well not practice any skills in training as it's not done under the same pressure either. It would be like a golfer not practicing their putting because the pressure in practice isn't the same as a put to win the Open. The better you are at in practice the more confidence and ability you'll have under that pressure. I think most people have come round to this idea in fairness, but I've no doubt the likes of Glenn Hoddle still believes there's no point in practicing.

On the stuttering run-ups, all it does is hand the keeper some of the advantage that as the kicker you have to begin with. If you are powerful and accurate from a normal run up it takes something special to save.

It's the quality of player that's frequently missing penalties that surprises me. Messi, Neymar, Aguero and Rooney have been serial penalty missers which is quite astounding. 

Agree the ridiculous stutter run ups are a prime cause combined with keepers getting away with chancing their arm.. Just hit it hard in the corner and stop being a smart arse.

We're not far away from someone trying to score a backheel from one. Genuinely.

It'll be hilarious to see, as if they score then everyone will give it a try

The argument 'you can't recreate the pressure' so no there's no point practising which I've heard a few managers say is absolute rubbish (not saying you are making this). Mainly England around the 90's..... I've no doubt the likes of Glenn Hoddle still believes there's no point in practicing.

The sheer idiocy combined with arrogance of the English press and coaches was something else. "There's no point practising, it's a lottery, you can't replicate the pressure". Meanwhile, the less pigheaded footballing nations quietly spent a decent amount of time practising them cos y'know, that's how you progress in major tournaments.

The "lottery" angle always pisses me off. Especially when commentators say stuff like "oh, nobody wants to see it go to penalties". Kof ya dick, I do. The penalty is the essence of fitba. One player trying to kick the ball past the keeper. Good players are more likely to score and shit players more likely to miss. Shoot outs are the perfect way to decide drawn games. IMO.

We used to have a penalty taker who would hang on after training and just hit ball after ball without a keeper in, trying to perfect his technique which was to try and put it right in the bottom right hand corner so that it hit the inside of the side netting.

Can't go the "lottery" shite either, any decent standard of player should be able to hit a shot of a fairly good standard from 12 yards. Do people want to go back to drawing lots?

If your a professsional football player you should be able to put the ball low and hard into a corner. If not then practice.

Utterly embarrassing that we missed three in one game. Schoolboy stuff really, none in the corner.

Van Nistelrooy was the boi, unsavable.

I subscribe to the David Luiz school of penalty taking. Run really fast and boot it as hard as you can.

St Mirren had an Icelandic player who's approach seemed to involved hitting the pen as hard as possible down the middle. Guni Torfason maybe. I swear Bobby Geddes jumped out of the way of one at Dens [emoji23]

Archived