Best scotland performance you've seen

pub car king

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well forgive me for not remembering Robertson was injured 20 years ago.   He still would have played a lot of games for Scotland if he didn't spit the dummy and was a remendous player.   You're assuming the team wouldn't have Changed if different players were available too which is obviously nonsense.   Robertson left Dailly right would probably have been how we lined up. 

On 10/19/2016 at 19:26, DA Baracus said:

Agreed re the home performance (there was belief and confidence for once as well as some genuine good play from all players), but the team shitting it as a whole cost us in the away game

You're right.  That was a really poor display and it came straight after we'd beaten France at home.  Was there not stuff in the build up regarding Gary O'Connor going AWOL?  

I remember Kenny Miller missing a terrific headed chance at 1-0.  I think Neilson made his debut that night.  Did he get many more caps?  

That was obviously a good campaign featuring two outrageous results against France.  We did lose away to Georgia, Italy and Ukraine though and as a result, missed out.

On 19 October 2016 at 19:00, DA Baracus said:

I recall Slovenia 0-3 Scotland in 2005 as being pretty good, although I'm sure by then we were unable to qualify for 2006

11 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Slovenia 0-3 away for me. Just a really really good performance.  There has obviously been bigger results but I thought that that performance was exceptional.

This^^^

One of the few times a 3-5-2 formation worked for us, actually not only did it work but any casual viewers of the game could be forgiven for thinking that they were watching Brazil circa 1970, so well were we playing in the game!!!

We absolutely destroyed Slovenia that night the only thing surprising was that we didn't score more goals, in fact it took a late one from Hartley to make the score line a bit more reflective of the game!!!

As has been said, we were already out of the WC by then but it did engender some hope for the following campaign only for that to crushed as well!!!

Can pretty much guarantee that won't be the score line this time round, the only similarity will be that we will likely out again by the time the tie comes around!!!

14 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Obviously but that was the one

That's the one that sticks in the mind of everyone but the Ukraine away result was just as damaging. 

Was a friendly in mid 80s when we beat Yugoslavia 6 nil. Johnston n Nicholas were among the scorers. Yes it was a friendly but it stands out cos we rarely score 6 against the part timers let alone a proper football nation. Dunno if Yugoslavia were missing players or in a dip of form but they were generally a strong side and 6 nil was a fantastic result.

Good shout!!!

But is was 6-1. We were actually 0-1 down, you could cry looking at the calibre of player we used to be able to call on!!!

Good shout!!!

But is was 6-1. We were actually 0-1 down, you could cry looking at the calibre of player we used to be able to call on!!!

Ah forgot that cheers

Eta....the tempo we were playing at for all those goals is totally alien to way we are playing now.

Only fair I post some on here since I've posted a load of videos on the Worst Performance thread.

The win in Slovenia has been mentioned. Note the Wacky Waving Inflatable Tube Man behind the goal;

Good shout!!!

I've never seen that, cheers.

It's the strutting about I like. Souness, Dalglish, cooper, just strolling around cocky as f**k.

I've never seen that, cheers.

It's the strutting about I like. Souness, Dalglish, cooper, just strolling around cocky as f**k.

And against a decent footballing nation...no plumbers or candlestick makers on show. Shame the 90 mins isn't available to watch.

The perfect game has to be the game in Tallinn.. Should have been the perfect 3-0 technicality with the bizzaar scenario of the home teams half of the pitch empty..Scotland take the kickofff and 3 seconds later , full time..A crazy day all round as nobody at the ground really knew what what was happening..Doubt something like that will ever be seen again in international football..Remember being on the park for a kick about after the "game" , while about 400 drunk folk in the stand are singing " so fuckin easy"...Happy days.

47 minutes ago, gastropod said:

The perfect game has to be the game in Tallinn.. Should have been the perfect 3-0 technicality with the bizzaar scenario of the home teams half of the pitch empty..Scotland take the kickofff and 3 seconds later , full time..A crazy day all round as nobody at the ground really knew what what was happening..Doubt something like that will ever be seen again in international football..Remember being on the park for a kick about after the "game" , while about 400 drunk folk in the stand are singing " so fuckin easy"...Happy days.

Who didn't know what was happening? The Estonian FA made their position clear....the floodlights had been good enough for the previous two matches played there. Add in a Swede, Lennart Johansson, president of Uefa, and his team being in direct competition with us, its obvious what went on. The SFa were right to dig their heels in, though....Uefa cunted the whole thing. And went on to almost do the same thing with Scotland v Belarus later, claiming that the Belarussians had to be in Vienna 72 hours prior to their next match.....which was funny, as they didn't arrive in Scotland until the Thursday prior to the original Saturday match which got moved for Diana PoW. p***ks. 

I can remember watching Scotland beat France in Paris and thinking I've never seen such a team completetlydominate a match and still lose. McFadden strike aside - which lets be honest was quite lucky - we were pretty shit that night and couldn't string three passes together.

I can remember watching Scotland beat France in Paris and thinking I've never seen such a team completetlydominate a match and still lose. McFadden strike aside - which lets be honest was quite lucky - we were pretty shit that night and couldn't string three passes together.

That was my first away game. I remember it being an incredible defensive display with France barely creating a chance of note, topped off by that Faddy goal from half way.

Archived