Best scotland performance you've seen

pub car king

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ireland at Home. 

Thurderous Atmosphere, a fantastic goal that would be deemed as an all time great if scored by Barcelona, and a 1-0 win. 

If only we knew what was to come.....

Was thinking a few days ago, when's the last time we turned over even a half-decent team with a dominant performance? Closest I can think of are Ukraine 3-1 and Bulgaria(?) away (4-1?) in a friendly years back. We really are pish.

Certainly belies the myth that we do better against big teams. Thankfully we have the women's team qualifying to tourneys....

17 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

The most recent worthy of note, is the 3-1 demolition of Ukraine. At that point, we definitely fronted the 'best of the rest' with that display. The second leg at Wembley was almost as complete a performance, had that tie gone to ET, England were finished. The home win against Austria in 97 was as complete a midfield mastery as we've exerted in my lifetime, Collins Lambert and McAllister fused brilliantly together that night. Switzerland simply fell to pieces at Villa Park, such was the dominance; we just couldn't score again. And, lastly, the massacre of France in 89. 

That's the one that always springs to mind with me, for some reason. One of those rare games where you could just relax and enjoy watching the team play. IIRC, the previous game in Austria was Duncan Ferguson's last game for us before spitting the dummy, and was so dull that the radio commentators hardly mentioned anything that happened on the field. Quite a difference for the return fixture.

What a year Kevin Gallacher had. That second goal's a cracker.

That's the one that always springs to mind with me, for some reason. One of those rare games where you could just relax and enjoy watching the team play. IIRC, the previous game in Austria was Duncan Ferguson's last game for us before spitting the dummy, and was so dull that the radio commentators hardly mentioned anything that happened on the field. Quite a difference for the return fixture.

What a year Kevin Gallacher had. That second goal's a cracker.

Forgot about that. Stunner of a goal. Barry Davies was it on commentary? Classier than crocker for sure.

32 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Though we lost, we were actually excellent against BrazilIin 90 ad 98, both quality performances and deserved a draw from bot games, both of which would have put us through i think.  Tom fuckin boyd,  if David Robertson hadn'tspat the dummy hhe'd have been playing and he was fucking quality.

No, he really wouldn't have. Dailly was at wing-back, not Boyd. And anyway, Robertson was injured for the best part of 18 months after leaving Rangers. NEXT. 

37 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Though we lost, we were actually excellent against BrazilIin 90 ad 98, both quality performances and deserved a draw from bot games, both of which would have put us through i think.  Tom fuckin boyd,  if David Robertson hadn'tspat the dummy hhe'd have been playing and he was fucking quality.

Tom Boyd couldn't be blamed for the Brazil winner in 98.

Regarding the Ukraine game; as I recall the first half was pretty tight and they missed a great chance not long before half time to equalise. We definitely played very well but I don't think it was quite the reaming some are making out.

I wish we could get performances and results like that these days. Given how good we were that day it angered me more how craven the shitebag performance in Kiev was.

It certainly wasn't a hammering, but the biggest difference is that it wasn't backs to the wall, it was a thoroughly positive, hard as nails display. Scottish football at its rawest, perhaps. Brown k-tonged Tymoschyuk right after the second goal, which totally fucked up their rhythm and prevented the sort of onslaught we may have expected....they were a bloody good side, make no mistake. The defeat away cost us, but it was individual errors, not the fault of the system. 

16 minutes ago, Officer Barbrady said:

It certainly wasn't a hammering, but the biggest difference is that it wasn't backs to the wall, it was a thoroughly positive, hard as nails display. Scottish football at its rawest, perhaps. Brown k-tonged Tymoschyuk right after the second goal, which totally fucked up their rhythm and prevented the sort of onslaught we may have expected....they were a bloody good side, make no mistake. The defeat away cost us, but it was individual errors, not the fault of the system. 

Agreed re the home performance (there was belief and confidence for once as well as some genuine good play from all players), but the team shitting it as a whole cost us in the away game

Agreed re the home performance (there was belief and confidence for once as well as some genuine good play from all players), but the team shitting it as a whole cost us in the away game

Was it Pressley giving away a penalty in the away game?

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Georgia away was what really cost us... and then it happened again

Did Georgia not give first caps to a 17 year old and a few 20 year olds that night? Their 3rd choice keeper played too? Having nightmares about they b'stards.

I still blame that horrific kit.

Did Georgia not give first caps to a 17 year old and a few 20 year olds that night? Their 3rd choice keeper played too? Having nightmares about they b'stards.

I still blame that horrific kit.

Yes. The Daily Rancid upped Scotlands chances by exclusively revealing that Georgia were playing a 17 yr old uncapped Goalie. He of course had a clean sheet

Archived