Best scotland performance you've seen

pub car king

16 hours ago, paddymcp said:

I can remember watching Scotland beat France in Paris and thinking I've never seen such a team completetlydominate a match and still lose. McFadden strike aside - which lets be honest was quite lucky - we were pretty shit that night and couldn't string three passes together.

Nah this is pish. We were very organised and for about 10 minutes after our goal were brilliant. If we could bottle that 10 minutes and use it for every game we'd be the balls.

We did have a bit of luck in terms of a few missed chances for France, but a large part of that win was down to the hard work put in by the players and management.

And the goal wasn't lucky. McFadden had practised such shots in training sessions before the game as they'd identified that France were vulnerable from long range shots

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nah this is pish. We were very organised and for about 10 minutes after our goal were brilliant. If we could bottle that 10 minutes and use it for every game we'd be the balls.

We did have a bit of luck in terms of a few missed chances for France, but a large part of that win was down to the hard work put in by the players and management.

And the goal wasn't lucky. McFadden had practised such shots in training sessions before the game as they'd identified that France were vulnerable from long range shots

Gary O'connor also wasted an excellent chance to make it 2 nil. Gordon only really had one save to make in the game. It was nervy as he'll to watch but when you see the game again without the emotion it was nowhere near as backs to the wall as the hampden game.

Ukraine 3-1 for me. Tremendous performance. We didn't just beat a team ranked above us, we absolutely annihilated them with a brilliant all round team display. Some cracking goals too.

The atmosphere that day was among the best I've ever experienced.

Ukraine at home was the one that sprang to mind for me. We were absolutely superb that day.

I'll throw in a left-field one for an away game, purely from matches I've attended - Iceland in 2002. It was the month after the Faroes debacle and, while Iceland weren't as good as they are now, our confidence was ripped to bits. We played really well that day and fully deserved our 2-0 win. Christian Dailly got one and Gary Naysmith scored a cracker to boot.

Brilliant weekend. Needless to say otherwise England in 1999; we really should've taken that to ET at the minimum. From memory, we didn't play badly in the home leg either but got done due to two bits of slack marking and poor finishing.

Scotland 3 Czechoslovakia 1, September 1977 in qualifying for Argentina. A mixture of skill, pace and controlled aggression. We murdered them that night, European champions an all. 

Everybody remembers the 1973 game when Jordan put us through to the 1974 finals in Munich but in 1977 there were no nervous moments, with Jordan, Dalglish, Hartford, Willie Johnston, McQueen, Masson, Rioch etc ripping into them from the start:

https://youtu.be/o8YD4hhXEzA

Performance wise probably the game against Italy in the play off was a very good performance against a good side. Result was glorious failure but refereeing was a disgrace.

Decent defensive performance against Holland at Euro 96 in the 0-0 game where we shut down a good side full of absolute stars. Although England horseing them 4-1 in the next game and the subsequent revelations about their infighting take the shine off it.

Played well against the Swiss afterwards. Come to think of it Euro 96 was probably the last time we had a side worthy of any respect whatsoever.

17 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Performance wise probably the game against Italy in the play off was a very good performance against a good side. Result was glorious failure but refereeing was a disgrace.

Decent defensive performance against Holland at Euro 96 in the 0-0 game where we shut down a good side full of absolute stars. Although England horseing them 4-1 in the next game and the subsequent revelations about their infighting take the shine off it.

Disgraceful refereeing in that Italy game ensured we weren't 0-2 down, rather than locked at 1-1 by the time that other disgraceful decision came around.

More disgraceful refereeing got us that goalless draw against Holland, when a blatant goal line handball from John Collins was missed.

We were pretty poor for most of the Italy game, as mentioned we should have been 2-0 down but got lucky, plus our goal was offside. And before they scored their winner they missed an open goal from about a yard out. There was a 10 minute period after we equalised that we could/should have gone in front, that 10 minutes aside we didn't play well at all. The Ukraine game was the peak performance during that time.

Archived