West Region Home Grounds

Nugent4nil

I mentioned in an earlier post that I remember Royal Albert playing at Raploch Park before they played at the Robert Smillie memorial park , well I spoke to someone last night who can confirm this. 

Raploch Park was their home until the mid 60's.  , it was also a greyhound stadium. 

Cheers Garrellburn!!!.
Dunipace have been at Westfield since 1971,prior to that it was indeed Carronbank from 1927 to 1971.
The jury's still out on the year the Pace were formed but taking it from when they joined the Juniors1897,their first ground was Green Park,the only ground they've played at that was in Dunipace.They then crossed the water to Bridge Park,it sat behind the Oak Hotel,until 1927 when they more or less crossed Stirling Street to Carronbank.

13 hours ago, LeeKRR1878 said:

I never knew Kilsyth didn't always play at Duncansfield. Do you know a rough location in Kilsyth Garrell Vale is?

It was at the site of the present sportsfield along at the end of Garrell road. Carry on along road through industrial estate right to the end and it is on the left.

There is currently a full size grass pitch used by local amatuer teams and a 3G floodlit pitch on the site. In the old days it was Garrell Vale and the Kilsyth Emmett pitches side by side, with just a wire fence between them apparently.  Emmett played in Scottish Junior league and once got to semi final of Scottish junior cup in the 1920's. They did not reappear after WW2 and Kilsyth St Patricks, a juvenile club played there for many years, more recently Kilsyth Amatuers.

There had also been a Kilsyth Wanderers at one time who played at a ground somewhere near the present day recreation ground just of Burngreen in the centre of tjhe town. They were very briefly champions of the world in football, having been the first team to beat Renton, who had become gained the title after beating the FA cup winners in a challenge match sometime in tjhe 1890's.

It was at the site of the present sportsfield along at the end of Garrell road. Carry on along road through industrial estate right to the end and it is on the left.

There is currently a full size grass pitch used by local amatuer teams and a 3G floodlit pitch on the site. In the old days it was Garrell Vale and the Kilsyth Emmett pitches side by side, with just a wire fence between them apparently.  Emmett played in Scottish Junior league and once got to semi final of Scottish junior cup in the 1920's. They did not reappear after WW2 and Kilsyth St Patricks, a juvenile club played there for many years, more recently Kilsyth Amatuers.

There had also been a Kilsyth Wanderers at one time who played at a ground somewhere near the present day recreation ground just of Burngreen in the centre of tjhe town. They were very briefly champions of the world in football, having been the first team to beat Renton, who had become gained the title after beating the FA cup winners in a challenge match sometime in tjhe 1890's.

I had played on that pitch a number of times and had no idea that Kilsyth Rangers once used it.

I've been trying to find history on defunct junior clubs in the area such as Kirkintilloch Harp, Kirky Athletic, Kirky Central and Kilsyth Emmett but it's difficult to find anything so a little info helps.

Kilsyth St Pats I know a little about because my grans uncle was involved in starting them up

ROYAL  ALBERT HOME GROUNDS.

As Blue Manalishi  said earlier  Raploch Park from 1878 till 1926 as a Senior team.  Stopped for season due to financial difficulties council took ownership of the park to cover money owed.

Started as a Junior team 1928 at the Raploch, stayed there until 1961 as the ground was getting houses built on it.

Played as season at various pitches Blantyre Celtic  Stonehouse Violet for the next season.

Moved into the new Robert Smillie Stadium in Larkhall which at that time was one of the best facilities anywhere with its seated stand running the length of the pitch, the stadium was also used for bike racing.    The stand was demolished in the 80s due to vandalism and asbestos issues.

Moved out of Robert Smillie 2006 as the council were building the new Larkhall Academy on it.

Ground shared with Larkhall Thistle until 2011. Probobly the best time for the club in recent times with decent crowds excellent facilities.

Move to Tilework Park in 2012 were we are at present not ideal as crowds are poor and the council wont allow us to put in catering and hospitality arrangements. Unfortunately moving to Stonehouse may be the end of the Albert as financially and logistically its not a great move.

Hopefully we can move back into Larkhall sooner rather than later.

Until we will keep fighting to keep going.

4 hours ago, LeeKRR1878 said:

I had played on that pitch a number of times and had no idea that Kilsyth Rangers once used it.

I've been trying to find history on defunct junior clubs in the area such as Kirkintilloch Harp, Kirky Athletic, Kirky Central and Kilsyth Emmett but it's difficult to find anything so a little info helps.

Kilsyth St Pats I know a little about because my grans uncle was involved in starting them up

It wasn't that exact pitch that KR played on. Somewhere in among my football info i have a hand drawn plan showing how the twoi pitches were located in that area. They would be at 90 degrees to the present pitch and closer to the actual Garrell burn which runs behind the ground. There were coke ovens , which I can just about remember, covering trhe area where the 3g pitch is now.The remainder of the area which is now the industrail estate was pit bings, railway sidings and an area which was used by show people ans also a few small busineses. 

Our present ground was an atea of rough grazing owned by farmer Duncan of Balmalloch Farm which is now occupied by the Broch pub. He sold it to the club when they were in abeyance during WW2 and it was built by voluntary labour with help from various business people. Dunns Transport helped with lorrys to bring in topsoil and turf. Reclaimed bricks were used to build boundary walls, the steel girders for the covered enclosure came from the NCB yard in Twechar. It wasn'n built until the early 1950's and it cost 3d to enter with a little paybox attached at the town end.

Farmer Duncan had put a condition on the sale that there was to be no Sunday football, but we got a dispensation from God much later to allow it to take place.

3 hours ago, kilsyth ranger said:

A can mind my late dad telling me that Pollok's Park was a black ash Park at one time, Anyone confirm this ?

I believe this was the case into the 1960s and there was apparently grass in the corners at one stage before being fully turfed.

Have you checked this document Robert - has a lot of old ground details in the Club Directory.  By the way Benburb were in Tinto Park from 1925 to 1930.  Then New Tinto Park from 1930 (the old tinto we all knew).  So this current New Tinto is their third Tinto!!

http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk/club-directory.htm

4 hours ago, Brig O'Lea said:

Have you checked this document Robert - has a lot of old ground details in the Club Directory.  By the way Benburb were in Tinto Park from 1925 to 1930.  Then New Tinto Park from 1930 (the old tinto we all knew).  So this current New Tinto is their third Tinto!!

http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk/club-directory.htm

Acht thats nothing Arthurlie are on their fourth Dunterlie the present one not to be confused with Dunterlie, Dunterlie or Dunterlie!

Archived