Churchill

John Lambies Doos

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

The Man who was voted the Greatest EVER Briton, by the people of Britain in the BBC TV top 100 poll, but discredited and denigrated by the P&B faithful, par for the course, I suppose.

Great engagement with the constructive criticisms of his views and political record we've had in this thread, there.

Great engagement with the constructive criticisms of his views and political record we've had in this thread, there.

His achievements are very well documented, there seemed little point in cutting & pasting them on here.

The Man who was voted the Greatest EVER Briton, by the people of Britain in the BBC TV top 100 poll, but discredited and denigrated by the P&B faithful, par for the course, I suppose.

The same poll put Princess Diana 3rd, Michael Crawford at 17, James Connolly at 64, Aleister Crowley at 73 and Robbie Williams at 77

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on posh slappers, faux Irish terrorists, Some mothers do have 'em, weirdo occultist and boy bands.

Personally I'd have thought that the smallpox vaccine, the World Wide Web, electromagnetism or the lord of the rings were better claims but there you go

The same poll put Princess Diana 3rd, Michael Crawford at 17, James Connolly at 64, Aleister Crowley at 73 and Robbie Williams at 77
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on posh slappers, faux Irish terrorists, Some mothers do have 'em, weirdo occultist and boy bands.
Personally I'd have thought that the smallpox vaccine, the World Wide Web, electromagnetism or the lord of the rings were better claims but there you go

Fair point, but pretty sure that Darwin, Shakespeare and IK Brunel were all up near the top of the list to provide some sensible competition.

I might be wrong on this but did Enoch Powell not also poll really highly so they had to pull him as it would have been too controversial?

Edit: nope, they kept him in.

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Did Churchill fight in the trenches in the first world war?

Churchill did not 'fight in the trenches' during the First World War but he did take up a commission on the Western Front after he had to resign from the government after the Dardanelles debacle.  At this time he did make several forays into no man's land and visited the trenches on a number of occasions exposing himself to some danger.

He also actually fought in several colonial wars, such as the Boer War, Sudan and I think on a number of occasions in India/Pakistan.  

That doesn't mean he was actually any kind of military expert or excuses him from meddling in strategic and tactical matters he didn't really understand in either world war, but he was evidently not a personal coward.

7 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I might be wrong on this but did Enoch Powell not also poll really highly so they had to pull him as it would have been too controversial?

As far as I can see they left him in.  He made it to 55th.

Not as highly rated as Eric Morecambe or Beckham (32nd & 33rd), or Steve Redgrave (36) and Boy George (46).  Not even as well regarded as a mythical figure (King Arthur 51).  

He did though best Cliff Richard by one spot and absolutely trounced Bob Geldof (75) and Bono (86), who somehow made it onto the list.  So for a man who ended his political career widely derided as a bigot he did alright.

Using that survey as an argument for anything is a total joke.

Archived