Barry Douglas

Fat Sally

Why has he never been in and around the squad?

I'll admit to not having seen him play for a while but looking at the teams he has played for recently then it seems astonishing that he hasn't been called up at any point. He was at Polish champions Lech Poznan until recently and is now at Konyaspor in Turkey. These are decent levels especially compared to the SPL. He might not be first choice but surely should be an international squad player.

Is it simply the case that he has been forgotten about or does anyone have a better knowledge of him?

If he's been forgotten about then it's pretty poor by the Scotland management team.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless he's turned into a 6ft 4 centre back abroad then he has no chance of getting in the squad at left back.

edit to add: Douglas seems to become a better player for every year he's not in Scotland, despite no one having seen him play since he left Dundee Utd.

Think the OP makes a fair point tho - Douglas is playing at a good level, winning things and surely warrants a look just as much as, say Wallace. I'm sure if Robertson and Tierney didn't exist it'd have happened by now. Then again, that presumes Strachan's team have actually bothered to check on how he's doing...

35 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Strachan doesn't bother looking at some of our players in Scotland n England no chance he will bother about someone in Poland.

:lol:

The level of irony here basically represents your average TAMB thicko in a nutshell.

As for Douglas, we have a small bundle of other left backs who could, like Douglas, at least job out a career for these no-mark clubs. They're just too busy playing at a better level to do so.

I'm in no way calling for him to be in a squad. I suppose more my question should be - Does Strachan watch him?

I accept with the current players in the LB position he might struggle but in recent years we played Whittaker at left back whilst Douglas was playing regularly for the Polish champions. The level he plays at suggests he should be a decent player.
If posters have seen him recently and he's shite then fair enough, but let's not have another Craig Brewster who ends up getting forgotten about because he's playing away from the eye of the Scottish media. He's only 27 and it's entirely possible he has improved as a player since leaving Dundee United.

Archived