Ayr United v Queen of the South

I wouldnt disagree that we need to better in midfield! Hamill does well at full back because the games in front of him. I just dont see him being comfortable in the midfield.

I know he's older, but hasn't Hamill been a midfielder for the majority of his career? He doesn't have much pace but he surely has the ability to read the game, especially at this level.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry 19QOS I dont think that performance constitutes running a midfield.I can understand the criticism of Millar ( he was very poor ) but it is stretching things to suggest that Pickard was in someway making a difference. He was chasing shadows like most of his colleagues.

mr X - on the injury front it took ages for us to hear that Tapping was actually injured - most of us  assumed that he was simply out of favour. Other than rumour on this site I still dont have any idea what the prognosis is. Hilson appeared on crutches at Dumbarton with no advance warning - I can understand why the Manager might not want to alert the opposition on his injury but again I am still no further forward on the nature of the injury, the projected recuperation period etc etc. Danny Carmichael-  we have signed him and he has had an op but that is it. I fully appreciate the sensitivity surrounding injuries but a little more info would surely not go amiss?

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I know he's older, but hasn't Hamill been a midfielder for the majority of his career? He doesn't have much pace but he surely has the ability to read the game, especially at this level.

He has, but there must be a reason he now plays right back.

8 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Sorry 19QOS I dont think that performance constitutes running a midfield.I can understand the criticism of Millar ( he was very poor ) but it is stretching things to suggest that Pickard was in someway making a difference. He was chasing shadows like most of his colleagues.

mr X - on the injury front it took ages for us to hear that Tapping was actually injured - most of us  assumed that he was simply out of favour. Other than rumour on this site I still dont have any idea what the prognosis is. Hilson appeared on crutches at Dumbarton with no advance warning - I can understand why the Manager might not want to alert the opposition on his injury but again I am still no further forward on the nature of the injury, the projected recuperation period etc etc. Danny Carmichael-  we have signed him and he has had an op but that is it. I fully appreciate the sensitivity surrounding injuries but a little more info would surely not go amiss?

Hilson, presumably, picked up his injury on the Friday before the game. Surprised you're not complaining about not getting advanced warning on Lyle pulling up pre-match.

I never commented on whether or not more info would be appropriate, or required, simply pointing out that the idea that you dont know about injuries until you see the player on match day isnt true. 

Theres team news in the previews, theres (now) an update on match day itself and the club have just tweeted there will be an update later in the week

I think you've misread what I've said (or I wasn't clear). Pickard ISN'T capable of running the midfield alone and I didn't think he ran the midfield at the weekend. We were completely overran in the middle if the park because Pickard was effectively in there alone and isn't capable of doing it all by himself. Either is Jacobs tbh but he does a better job of getting around the park than Pickard.

No problem 19QOS while we disagree on the merits of some of our midfielders I think we do agree that our options in midfield are pretty limited.

Mr X - I happened to be scrolling through some of the threads on QOS footymad earlier and I don't seem to be alone in my views on the injury front.  I will ignore the Derek Lyle comment but if you take Tapping as an example - I fail to see why there was no mention of his latest injury when he dropped out of squad several weeks ago. Who was the lack of info benefitting ? The inference was that there had been a fallout and it was a reasonable assumption to make as he simply disappeared from squad. Similarly Dale Hilson is a key player and a big miss but no feedback. It is fine if something is coming but don't think it is asking too much to expect a few lines on a best endeavours basis.

1 minute ago, Rjc-1988 said:

No problem 19QOS while we disagree on the merits of some of our midfielders I think we do agree that our options in midfield are pretty limited.

Mr X - I happened to be scrolling through some of the threads on QOS footymad earlier and I don't seem to be alone in my views on the injury front.  I will ignore the Derek Lyle comment but if you take Tapping as an example - I fail to see why there was no mention of his latest injury when he dropped out of squad several weeks ago. Who was the lack of info benefitting ? The inference was that there had been a fallout and it was a reasonable assumption to make as he simply disappeared from squad. Similarly Dale Hilson is a key player and a big miss but no feedback. It is fine if something is coming but don't think it is asking too much to expect a few lines on a best endeavours basis.

Again, I never claimed the club gets everything right.

It was publicised that Hilson and Tapping would be out for some time before the Linfield game. As I said, there has been "a few lines" every week for some time now. Could it be more? Yes, probably. Is the club trying to improve things? Again, yes

jake pickard is overrated. he just tackles and runs about like a headless chicken cant pass a ball and should be nowhere near our team.

hopeful of getting too this game but wont be bothered if i dont go.

team i would start with

robbo 

hamil dowie brownlie marshall

anderson jacobs miller dykes

rigg dobbie

jake pickard is overrated. he just tackles and runs about like a headless chicken cant pass a ball and should be nowhere near our team.

hopeful of getting too this game but wont be bothered if i dont go.

team i would start with

robbo 

hamil dowie brownlie marshall

anderson jacobs miller dykes

rigg dobbie

Get to the game. Second in the league man its only an hour and a half up the road. Hopefully that 5-0 hasnt put too many folk off as the team deserve a good backing considering the first qaurter of the season they have had.

I don't really believe in the wounded animal theory that a team comes out and puts in the performance of the season shortly after getting scudded, we'll be pretty nervy and low on confidence with the plan being to try to keep it tight for the first half and aim to grow into the game.  In the context of the past few weeks,an incredibly scrappy win 1-0 off a deflected toepoke would be a godsend, though in the context of last week a draw with a decent performance wouldn't be a bad result.

I don't really believe in the wounded animal theory that a team comes out and puts in the performance of the season shortly after getting scudded, we'll be pretty nervy and low on confidence with the plan being to try to keep it tight for the first half and aim to grow into the game.  In the context of the past few weeks,an incredibly scrappy win 1-0 off a deflected toepoke would be a godsend, though in the context of last week a draw with a decent performance wouldn't be a bad result.

Despite our good results in recent weeks I think we would also take a decent performance and a draw.

Anything but a loss would be a positive from our perspective and an improvement.

The way I see it, any points that we can take from the teams above us are a bonus.

Would be unexpected for us to win comfortably, no matter how QOS have played recently. We still don't have a striker!

Surprised no-one has mentioned Brian Gilmour on this thread.
Thought he was a decent player when with Queens but didn't get too many games.
Didn't even make the bench for the Scottish Cup Final when utter dross like Scott Robertson did.

4 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Anything but a loss would be a positive from our perspective and an improvement.

The way I see it, any points that we can take from the teams above us are a bonus.

Would be unexpected for us to win comfortably, no matter how QOS have played recently. We still don't have a striker!

Bullseye

Surprised no-one has mentioned Brian Gilmour on this thread.

Thought he was a decent player when with Queens but didn't get too many games.

Didn't even make the bench for the Scottish Cup Final when utter dross like Scott Robertson did.

Ability but no application. A Mark Millar prototype you might say.

Archived