Ayr United v Queen of the South

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:

2-0 south. Think the team will react.

Lets hope so! I think we need a positive result, either a win or a scoring draw, to restore a bit of confidence amongst the players and the fans.

Results like Saturday happen in football but if dont get a positive result against Ayr, then it starts to look more like a continuation of the poor form rather than a one-off "bad day at the office"

Having said that, I think pretty much everyone acknowledge that our good start, and position near the top of the table, would only continue if we had a bit of luck with injuries. We havent, so it maybe shouldnt be too surprising that we've hit a dip in form.

This is a nightmare game to predict. Queens are in a bit of rut and suffering with injuries and playing an ayr team who have got some fantastic results. Based on current form think we be doing well to pick up a point.

Rigg out wide will not work and seems to be a failed experiment. Give brotherston a run out left and if lyle is injured dobbie and dykes up top.

Few people on here have said about millar. What's to be done? If Jacobs is fit I would put him and Pickard in the middle. If Jacobs is out then millar seems only experienced option. Anyone any other opinions or options?

Tight game 1 -0 queens. But would settle for a draw.

I just dont get Jake Pickard at all - he battles away and is a trier but at this level you unquestionably need midfielders with an ability to pass the ball and positively influence the game from this key central area. Mark Millar has been disappointing in the last few games - no doubt about that and if there was any viable alternative I would drop him but I genuinely dont think that a central partnership of Jacobs and Pickard will have Ayr ( or anybody else for that matter ) ducking for cover.

It is a crying shame that we have Dobbie up top desperate for quality service (on the deck) but recently our midfield has had little or no influence on the game and the result has been that the back 4 have bypassed them and resorted to hitting aimless punts forward. The disappointing results and lack of goals have been an inevitable consequence. Our midfield options are seriously limited and for that reason if we have any serious thoughts about a top 4 place we need at least one but preferably two quality midfield additions - not sure where we find them however ?The only other option is to become a long ball outfit , playing deep, crowding the central area ,missing out midfield and playing for knock downs from Dykes and Rigg and simply hoping that Dobbie can pick up some scraps. Having made the big investment in Dobbie we are crying out for our midfield to start delivering but when you look at the available options it is genuinely hard to see them dominating any game in the way that the Morton midfield did against us in Saturday's rout.

We have played a few teams during their rotten runs recently, Morton, Hibs, Falkirk, Dunfermline, hopefully Queens run continues another week.

Or it could be that we are just absolutely fantastic

The defeat last week was obviously a sore one. As i said before no easy games in this league, the worry is the lack of goals in recent games. Doesnt look to me like rigg will bang goals in and with lyle out its a bit worrying. Dobbs needs the service. Millar looked back to his absolute no show best last week, hopefully a better performance from him this time. Two big away games coming up i think we are capable of 4 points but it will require a bigger effort than last week.

28 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'd be tempted to try Hamill in the middle for this one, especially if Higgins is fit.  Dowie can move to right-back to accommodate him.  This would shore up our defence as well.

I think Hamill in midfield would be scraping a very short barrel. Doesnt have the mobility for that position anymore, in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

That is question that we keep asking as well but we only learn about injuries on match day when we see a player hobbling.

There has been an update on injuries in the match preview almost every week

I'd sooner have Hamill in the middle on Saturday as well. I highly doubt it's going to happen but at least he would show some willing in the middle and look for the ball, something the waste of a wage doesn't do yet obviously knows everyone else's role as he continuously barks out orders.

I sincerely hope Jacobs is fit because Pickard isn't experienced enough to run a midfield by himself which is exactly what he had to do at the weekend. Yet he's the one taking the slack <_>

I think its a barrel that is needing scraped! If we start with the same midfield pairing as last week we will lose, of that I am almost certain.

Pickard isn't very mobile and Millar choses not to be so I doubt we'd be any worse off with Hamill than we were on Saturday past.

Hamill reads the game very well and has shown from his performances at right-back that he can contribute to both attack and defence.

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd sooner have Hamill in the middle on Saturday as well. I highly doubt it's going to happen but at least he would show some willing in the middle and look for the ball, something the waste of a wage doesn't do yet obviously knows everyone else's role as he continuously barks out orders.

I sincerely hope Jacobs is fit because Pickard isn't experienced enough to run a midfield by himself which is exactly what he had to do at the weekend. Yet he's the one taking the slack <_>

10 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I think its a barrel that is needing scraped! If we start with the same midfield pairing as last week we will lose, of that I am almost certain.

Pickard isn't very mobile and Millar choses not to be so I doubt we'd be any worse off with Hamill than we were on Saturday past.

Hamill reads the game very well and has shown from his performances at right-back that he can contribute to both attack and defence.

I wouldnt disagree that we need to better in midfield! Hamill does well at full back because the games in front of him. I just dont see him being comfortable in the midfield.

Archived