Ayr United v Queen of the South

Queen's need to bounce back next sat and get back to the way they were playing the first half dozen league games with the ball on the ground and using the width of the pitch.

I really hope we can get one or two of the injured players back for this game namely Club captain Higgins for his leadership and experience and Jacobs cause he is a work horse and this season has been a standout player along with Dobbie who needs to play upfront with Dykes, unfortunately Lyle seems to be couple of weeks away from fitness yet.

If we can stay up close at the top until we get Carmichael Hilson and Lyle back from injury it would be great. 

Mccall's Ayr had a good result v Dumbarton and Will on a high, first goal as usual will be do important.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're a completely different kettle of fish to the team you humped earlier in the season.  Queens seem to be stuttering just now and it sounds like you have a few players out which may be the reason.  If Balatoni can tame Dobbie and we play how we have v Hibs/Falkirkx2/Dumbarton then I feel we could take something out this game.  A draw would not be terrible, but i'd love another win.  The 11 points from the opening quarter is a bench mark that I think we should be looking to replicate in this quarter.  

If Adams is fit do we look to go back with him in midfield and drop Cairney?  Don't think the likes of Crawford/Gilly/Harkins/Forrest can be dropped.  Also does Boyle come back in and Meggat back to centre half?  Personally i'd go:

Fleming

Devlin  Balatoni  Meggat  Boyle

Crawford  Docherty  Adams

Gilmour       Harkins

Forrest

Subs: Hart, Murphy, Donald, Cairney, McGuffie, Nisbet, O'Connell

Thomas' omission from the squad today probably tel;ls you what McCall thinks of him as he was not injured, although not sure why Wardrope was not there to make up the numbers, unless he's planning on having him play at Stranraer on Monday with the 20s.

18 minutes ago, trotsky27 said:

Well tapping is out rest season after knees surgery on Friday and hilson is out 12 weeks and Higgins can't walk due to glass cutting open his knee in training

Saw Higgy walking ok today? Yes Hilson has got a moon boot on again. Tapping wouldn't have signed him again afraid he is an injury nightmare waste of a wage, maybe we could get Jacobs Bros in to boost the midfield think he is a midfielder? 

If Jacobs is still out I'd stick Hamill in midfield and Hooper at right back.  Our midfield was a shambles today with no leadership which hopefully he can rectify.  I'd be sorely tempted to put him in at the expense of Mark Millar after his no show today but picking players on work rate over ability goes against everything I believe in so I'd drop Pickard instead.

Dobbie needs to return to the central position he started the season in, but more importantly wherever he plays we need to get the ball into his feet.  He, along with the rest of the forwards will have sore necks tonight after spending most of the game watching the ball in the air.  It's the same dilemma as before the Morton game as to who to pair him with and who to play out wide.  I'd pair him with Dykes who was the only one to get pass marks today, drop Rigg, and bring Brotherston in.  At least he's a natural wide man and not a converted forward.

Our options are limited and we're not going to be able to make drastic changes to the personnel that were soundly defeated today.  A big change in attitude and application isn't too much to ask for though.

Any time I've been to Somerset it has been a turgid affair and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens in this one as well.  I'm going to say 1-1.

We have definitely improved from the game earlier in the season and it looks like injuries are affecting Queens form at the moment. Queens will either be incredibly demoralised after conceding 5 vs Morton, in which case we must take advantage or the will come out with a point to prove.

If Adams is fit I'd bring him in for Cairney. Cairney hasn't done anything wrong and certainly puts himself about but Adams is crucial in the big games. I'd be tempted to keep Murphy in the defence. Thought he a has been excellent in the last two games and has earned his place for now. Whether that means Meggat stays at LB or Boyle switches with him is to be seen.

Personally I'd go

Fleming
Devlin Balatoni Murphy Meggat
Docherty
Gilmour Adams Crawford
Harkins Forrest

Subs
Hart, Boyle, Cairney, Donald, McGuffie, Nisbet, O'Connell

My heart says 2-0 Ayr but my head says 2-2 with Queens grabbing a late equaliser.

If that is true about tapping, (doubt it) then i would just release him. Cant have another season of him kicking about on the sidelines. Hopefully its not true though. Big game, still looking forward to it and hopefully a sizeable support goes up and pushes the boys on. Big reaction needed and i think we will get it here. 2-0 south.

26 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

Wardrope has asked to go out on loan as McCall doesn't want him playing with the 20's and young Mick wants game time.

Would agree with Mick on that one. None of that junior pish though; he's more than good enough for a side in league one. 

28 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Would agree with Mick on that one. None of that junior pish though; he's more than good enough for a side in league one. 

Micks done the juniors and the 20s, would imagine he'd get a regular game for about 18/20 teams in the 2 leagues below. Wouldn't be surprised if Reid took him to Stranraer for the season.

8 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Micks done the juniors and the 20s, would imagine he'd get a regular game for about 18/20 teams in the 2 leagues below. Wouldn't be surprised if Reid took him to Stranraer for the season.

Couldn't tell you which teams he would be most likely to get a game with in the league below. In terms of learning I would imagine Albion Rovers would be perfect with their management team. Playing every week in league one would be great for him though. 

Stenny for example must be desperate. 

Dobbie has to play centrally. I've only watched one game with him out wide but he's wasted out there.

If it is true that Tapping is out for the season then I feel sick for the boy. If he could stay fit he would have an excellent career ahead of him, as it is I would not be surprised if he has left football in 2 years time.

Arguably the most important game of the season for us. Character is an over used managerial post match term but we will learn whether the players have real character next week.

I have absolutely no idea how serious any of the injuries are because the Club do not release any meanungful bulletins and this is disappointing but suffice to say it doesnt look good in the case of Messrs Hilson and Tapping.

Left mid is our main problem with central midfield not far behind - we could play Dykes at left mid but that means you lose him upfront so I would be inclined to to go with a back 3 if Higgy makes it :-

Robinson

Brownlie Dowie Higgins

Hamill Millar Jacobs Marshall

Dobbie

dykes Rigg

Many of these players not really retaining their places on merit but more by virtue of the fact that here is no viable alternative. If Jacobs misses out I would play Anderson at wing back and put Hamill in midfield but having seen Hamill in midfield late on yesterday I have reservations about his fitness in that role. Brotherston is another play that may be worth a shout but I am not convinced that he is ready for a game of this significance.

Lets not kid ourselves though with the injuries we have the squad is nowhere near strong enough and we really need reinforcements.

It's not just a big game for queens this it's big for us too.  It'll show whether we are really game. It would be all too typical to build up a bit of belief only to let the air out the balloon and everyone goes ah fuxache I knew we were pish etc. 

Win this in front of a slightly inflated crowd and we get a real positive buzz about the place. I'm loving the whole team being included in celebrations and the workrate the lads are putting in suggests there's a team there. Self belief could be massive for the final league placing and the mental strength that could be gained from continuing this run we're on would be massive. 

Current form this could be 6-0 to Ayr. We really have to get Dobbie in the centre and get get Dykes out wide. I really dont fancy us getting anything in this game the signs have been there for the last 3 or 4 games now. We need to start finding the net again.

15 minutes ago, Q0S-RUSH said:

Current form this could be 6-0 to Ayr. We really have to get Dobbie in the centre and get get Dykes out wide. I really dont fancy us getting anything in this game the signs have been there for the last 3 or 4 games now. We need to start finding the net again.

15:00

Ayr (3)

wwldww

Draw (3.8)

Queen of the South (2.3)

Bookies still not believing

Archived