Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Russell and Bryson playing well for Derby tonight.

Russell massively underused by Scotland imo.

Ach yes and no. He's been off form for a while, he's never made it out of the English second tier and there are better players in his position. I hoped for better for him when he was running the show at Dundee Utd, but I doubt he'll be anything more than a bit part player now, especially with the likes of Burke, Fraser etc really coming on.

Tony Watt outstanding for Charlton on Saturday according to the Soccer Saturday commentator. Worked tirelessly to help them beat Bolton with 10 men.

I take it we've given up hopes for him after his spell at Hearts?

2 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Tony Watt outstanding for Charlton on Saturday according to the Soccer Saturday commentator. Worked tirelessly to help them beat Bolton with 10 men.

I've given up hope of him screwing the nut. I don't doubt his potential.

Would also have hoped for a better move but he'll almost certainly be in the Premier League next year, Hull appear to have thrown in the towel. In terms of personnel at Burnley, Stephen Ward is the current first-choice left back. Robertson is a better player but I do wonder if a side like Burnley might prefer his height/defensive ability in matches against bigger sides. Possibility of him being used at left wing? From a national team perspective, I'd be delighted to see that. 

Also, I realise the EPL has went off the scale in recent seasons but we must have a more expensive squad than many sides who regularly pump than us. Even dross like Steven Fletcher, Ross McCormack and Jordan Rhodes have moved for pretty big sums.

Money between English clubs is worthless.  I've said on other thread on this site, it's just the chairmen of the clubs flexing their muscles to show how much they have.

Slovakia, to mention sides pumping Scotland, like you say, have superior footballers, but they clubs they play for will pay their 'actual' value to sign them, so will cost far less.

Fast forward 10 years and I get the feeling we'll still be saying the same about Watt.
Charlton are in the 3rd tier now so unless he can perform consistently in the Championship or above he'll not get a sniff.
As you say, Hearts was a good opportunity for him and it didn't happen.

Another goal for Ross Wallace yesterday. Had a good couple of years at Wednesday. Don't think he would add much and I'd have Phillips, Ritchie even ahead of him (assuming he's still left sided) but could anyone ever see him getting called up? Seems strange that we always talk about players performing in the league but he seems to have been overlooked

• 2 months later...

Archived