Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Stuart Armstrong was excellent last night, wasn't man city's strongest team but he played well, looks like a more intelligent player football wise than Scott Brown.

Would imagine he will be in the next squad.

Thought Stuart Armstrong was excellent last night, wasn't man city's strongest team but he played well, looks like a more intelligent player football wise than Scott Brown.

Would imagine he will be in the next squad.

Frustrating player because he has a lot to his game but still has a tendency to make a lot of basic and costly mistakes. Vs Barca he passed straight to them at least half a dozen times, once during a Celtic attack to Messi who was unmarked on the halfway line!
I'd certainly call him up to see how he fits in, but I think at the moment he'd be too big a risk for us to play him. Hope Rodgers can coach the mistakes out of him.

14 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Aye too big a risk, we could maybe end up 5th in our group and not qualify for anything for 20 years.   Archaic attitude,  are you kris Boyd? 

Untangle your knickers and calm down. I'm all for playing younger or even just different players if they're ready and/or potentially better than what we have - I think my posts illustrate that quite clearly.

My point is specifically about Armstrong - his basic errors in the Barca game were horrific and numerous. He needs to play like he did vs Man City the other night consistently for a stretch to convince me he's capable of reliably anchoring our midfield (assuming he'd be used in the two there).

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Untangle your knickers and calm down. I'm all for playing younger or even just different players if they're ready and/or potentially better than what we have - I think my posts illustrate that quite clearly.

My point is specifically about Armstrong - his basic errors in the Barca game were horrific and numerous. He needs to play like he did vs Man City the other night consistently for a stretch to convince me he's capable of reliably anchoring our midfield (assuming he'd be used in the two there).

He'd more likely be in the middle of the forward three behind the striker. He's got a real turn of pace and can make things happen around the box. If he's still first pick come March he'd be in my team ahead of Snodgrass.

2 hours ago, woof! said:

He'd more likely be in the middle of the forward three behind the striker. He's got a real turn of pace and can make things happen around the box. If he's still first pick come March he'd be in my team ahead of Snodgrass.

Surely that depends on how Snodgrass does between now and then? At the moment, Snod has had by far the better season (despite recent off patches)

On 05/12/2016 at 03:28, Peppino Impastato said:

Arfield is clearly good enough to be a Scotland squad regular.   If you disagree you're simply wrong.   Look at his career go and Google him and compare him to most players we've called up over the last 20 years,  total no brainer. 

Is Scott Arfield better than John McGinn?

I think 90% of families asked would say yes.  Ergo, Scotland lost out.  Is it a major disaster?  Probably not, still, if you are building a squad, you want to have all the best possible players, whether they are back up, fourth choice or just along for the ride.

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Surely that depends on how Snodgrass does between now and then? At the moment, Snod has had by far the better season (despite recent off patches)

I think we need to a major injection of pace in the team. Snoddy is a good player but when he has an off day we can't carry him. Armstrong has made the breakthrough - I'm more concerned with what happens between now and March than before. Armstrong, Burke and Fraser really need to be considered (Cadden and McKay too in time). We're a team of unremarkable plodders, we need to be known as a team with pace and energy as a minimum. Not just a quick winger, it needs to be most of the team.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Is Scott Arfield better than John McGinn?

I think 90% of families asked would say yes.  Ergo, Scotland lost out.  Is it a major disaster?  Probably not, still, if you are building a squad, you want to have all the best possible players, whether they are back up, fourth choice or just along for the ride.

I'm certain McGinn will become a better player than Arfield. 

I had a look on the Swansea City fans forum, out of boredom and because I like to see the opinions of fans of the team that ex-Falkirk players have moved to. There is a thread on there today titled 'Jay Fulton can save our season.' While club forums aren't the greatest place to gauge performances of players and in a couple of weeks there might be a thread on there trashing him he seems to be establishing himself and playing well.

George Boyd is a strange one. I thought he did OK in the short bursts we saw him in a Scotland shirt and he's been a fairly consistent performer at either bottom end of Premier League or top end of Championship level for years. Does the Scotland management team know he exists? Do they just not rate him? 

Archived