Auchinleck Talbot 2016/17

Blackie Gold

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Growing up in the 80's the Cambuslang era always felt like ancient history but it was still quite recent when Talbot won 3 in a row, etc. Only 11 seasons separated the last Cambuslang win in 73/74 and the first Knox era Talbot win IN 85/86. That's the same as between now and Talbot beating Bathgate back in 05/06. There are still players from that Talbot side playing today.  

I've heard people say that the best of those Cambuslang sides would have survived in the top senior division of the day but I find that very hard to believe in all honesty. It's one thing to say they could have done this or that, but you can only judge them on what they actually achieved. 

Growing up in the 80's the Cambuslang era always felt like ancient history but it was still quite recent when Talbot won 3 in a row, etc. Only 11 seasons separated the last Cambuslang win in 73/74 and the first Knox era Talbot win IN 85/86. That's the same as between now and Talbot beating Bathgate back in 05/06. There are still players from that Talbot side playing today.  

I've heard people say that the best of those Cambuslang sides would have survived in the top senior division of the day but I find that very hard to believe in all honesty. It's one thing to say they could have done this or that, but you can only judge them on what they actually achieved. 

I think both of those teams from the 70's & 80's era would have survived in a higher league. Both strong physical sides. They would have struggled in today's football though with a whistle blown for every tackle that results in as player feigning injury. Can only speak for Talbot but the likes of McCulloch,Morrison, & Findlay etc would have been off the park before the end of the first half [emoji23]

4 hours ago, Talbot Bing said:

I think both of those teams from the 70's & 80's era would have survived in a higher league. Both strong physical sides. They would have struggled in today's football though with a whistle blown for every tackle that results in as player feigning injury. Can only speak for Talbot but the likes of McCulloch,Morrison, & Findlay etc would have been off the park before the end of the first half emoji23.png

Aye, undoubtedly they were two sides surely capable of making an impact at a higher level but I think to say they could have lived in the top division is getting a bit carried away, not that it's a common view among 'Lang fans but I've heard it and read it a couple of times. 

The 80's game was certainly extremely physical but I think there's sometimes an under-appreciation of how skillful and talented some players were back then. Maybe they weren't as athletic as the current era but I'd argue that a lot of them were better footballers and were also streetwise enough to get away with as much as they could within the rules. 

Scottish football still had an abiding love of the skillful, cocky type of player who wasn't necessarily the most athletic and there were loads of guys who had grown up on tales of Jimmy Johnstone, Jim Baxter, and could look to Charlie Nicholas or Davie Cooper as contemporary versions and there were a good few "cooncil" versions of these players dotted around the Juniors to act as prey for the Sam McCulloch's of the World.   :lol:

Aye, undoubtedly they were two sides surely capable of making an impact at a higher level but I think to say they could have lived in the top division is getting a bit carried away, not that it's a common view among 'Lang fans but I've heard it and read it a couple of times. 

The 80's game was certainly extremely physical but I think there's sometimes an under-appreciation of how skillful and talented some players were back then. Maybe they weren't as athletic as the current era but I'd argue that a lot of them were better footballers and were also streetwise enough to get away with as much as they could within the rules. 

Scottish football still had an abiding love of the skillful, cocky type of player who wasn't necessarily the most athletic and there were loads of guys who had grown up on tales of Jimmy Johnstone, Jim Baxter, and could look to Charlie Nicholas or Davie Cooper as contemporary versions and there were a good few "cooncil" versions of these players dotted around the Juniors to act as prey for the Sam McCulloch's of the World.  [emoji38]

Definitely agree with that. Charlie Nicholas was slow as hell but had remarkable quality. Ps. Did I say top division? ????

16 hours ago, Quantum Leap said:

Somebody had too.
I sometimes wonder who was the best.
The Cambuslang team who conquered all or the Talbot team from the late 80,s early 90,s who conquered all.

The Talbot team of mid to late 80's are the best Junior side I have seen .Saying that through gritted teeth right enough ;)

38 minutes ago, Garden City said:

The Talbot team of mid to late 80's are the best Junior side I have seen .Saying that through gritted teeth right enough ;)

To be fair about half them were the Ladeside team of the period immediately before that. 

To be fair about half them were the Ladeside team of the period immediately before that. 

Not quite true we had won the cup twice in the 80's before the trinity of Mills, Lyden and Pirrie signed, they enhanced a good team. We did have John McCool who won the cup with Kilbirnie in the late 70's

Archived